Did my 680i kill my ram?

Nick_Leo

[H]ard|Gawd
well i had a 680i for quite a while with 2 gigs of crucial ram. then all of a sudden id get long beeps when i tried to start it and after a few trys it would fire up with errors saying the fsb and timings were reset or something.

So then the other day i pulled a stickand it still beeped so i pulled the other one and put the "good" one back in and it booted just fine.

Then today i tried to boot it and get a 0d error compared to the regualar c3 and c1 errors and it started up after about 3 reboots.

so what do i do with this "broken ram"?

680i boards have a reputation for killing ram.....
can you RMA the ram?

No idea on Crucial and their warranty but my cousins Striker Extreme just blew up two of his four Ballistix 1066 modules.

So far though my Striker has treated my Mushkin good.

That crucial memory has high failure rates so call them up and rma it. They have a lifetime warranty so no problems there.

Crucial sucks.. I'm on my 3rd RMA of my Ballistix and they are fighting me and blaming my system and saying I don't overclock and they want to down grade me to other ram because of it.
I've ran Mushkin for a few months then I purchased Ballistix and it failed with in the first 3 days. 2nd set failed the day I got them and 3rd was a week into it. Mean time each time I RMA I put my Mushkin back in without issues. Now I'm running OCZ Reapers for a week no issues.

well i emailed them about 24 hours ago, how long does it take them to respond?

Well 24 hours ago would have been a Sunday so I doubt they would have gotten back to you already. Think sometime tomorrow at the earliest.

680i boards have a reputation for killing ram.....
can you RMA the ram?

I am learning the hard way with my 4th set of memory on the 680i. Team Xtreem - Dead after 6mo. Second set of Team Xtreem - Dead after 5 mo. Third set with Ballistix and dead after 4 month. Now with another set of Team Xtreem and shopping for a new MB. I've only got a 3-4 month left before failure.

Back