DIGG a Budget PC for Gaming

$1500 is more than enough to build a decent gaming PC. Not including monitor, keyboard, etc. of course.

Wow, i feel soooooo assraped. The only affordable SLI C2d mobo 3 or 4 months ago was the craptacular POS Asus p5n-sli. I had to buy the board twice because I bought it from that pathetic little piece of shit e-tailer called Monarch Computer systems the first time. Those retarded shitlettes they call intel certified technicians actually popped my cpu comboed hsf in the same little asus box. Naturally, the motherboard pins were all as crooked as monarch computer systems itself (at least I hope they are crooked because I have lost all faith in humanity if every single one of their employees had dipshit, Georgian, Redneck, inbred, hick IQs). I also blew over $600 on 7900gts in SLI before last Christmas, but given that timespan, it is understandable.

To top it all off, that "decent gaming rig" can be shaven down with a $10 case (thermaltake comes into mind), the 320 GTS, non shameless self promoting, non corsair ram (667 could probably yield similar OCs), a more mediocre antec psu, and a gigabyte 965 board because SLI is an assrape in itself (twice the price, heat, and power consumption for waaaaaaaaaaay less than even 150% the power of one card). Also, you don't need SLI with the 8 series.

I have to agree with you. There are a number of things I would change in there but all in all its not a bad system, and for $1500 to boot. By going with the 320mb 8800, a bit smaller harddrive, a plain old beige box (with a bit of paint and primer invested), something like a Foxtron, Clio or OCZ Psu and you are looking at probably close to $200 in savings right there. Depending on what you look for, OEM vs. Retail, you may be able to even break the $1k mark. But for those people that have not built a system before this is a great starter article.

Btw, wasn't this linked from an [H]OCP consumer article? I think there was even an official thread to comment about it.

It's always cheaper to build your own PC, and you get exactly what parts you need/want, and don't have to have pre-installed crap and junk you don't need.

Most people on Digg know about this stuff, but I'll digg it. :D

If it hits front page though, expect comments like "In Soviet Russia computer builds you!!111" from retards....but they'll get buried. ;)

Sometimes I wish other comment pages on websites had the "digg +/- function"!

And, that would be in context/contrast to $3000+ for a pre-built system.

While I agree that for most do-it-yourselfers $1500 is more than enough to build a killer gaming rig, Mr. Clements is right about that. Almost all prebuilt gaming machines for respectible manufacturers are unbelievably expensive. Perhaps this article should be geared towards people who aren't familiar with building their own systems?

I'm pretty sure it can get cheaper than 1500 if you look on pricewatch.com and other sites for deals and bargains. Probably around $1000 since amd 64's now in days only cost around 70-80 dollars. Dells and other companies always make crappy pc's for gaming. They are all crap because they throw in cheap junk we all don't need and preinstalled crap to that just clutters up our memory then we got to buy everyone brand new anyways so you gotta replace the whole computer all over again so you might aswell just do it yourself from the start lol. Its always a waste of money buying a prebuilt computer unless its a custom one to your specs or if its an alienware but i'm not sure about them anymore since i heard dell bought them out awhile back ;).

I actually meant to use the word "affordable" as used in the article. And, that would be in context/contrast to $3000+ for a pre-built system.

in comparison its cheaper, but thats still a lot. when i built my 9800 pro machine not too man moons ago, 5-700 was budget. kinda makes me glad i got out the pc game. the cost of entry is wayyyy too high......(sadly when crysis/ut3 comes out ill bend over and take it like a man :()

Wow $1,500 is "affordable". Lets see them build a gaming computer for half as much.

It's always cheaper to build your own PC,!

You probably mean the gaming class/mid-range mark, but OEMs rule all when it comes to low priced PCs/volume pricing. They can afford to give you a sweet deal on PCs when they know you're going to come back in 2 years to buy more, and they can make up any losses on low-end machines with profits from the upmarked stuff.

Back