Direct me to the internal 3.0 cable please

I just purchased a new lian li case with a USB 3.0 header in the front. My current mobo doesn't have any 3.0 headers so I purchased this card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124101

That has 3 inputs on the exterior and one on the inside. Problem is the interior plug on the card is a "standard" 3.0 jack and I need to convert the case's 3.0 header cable to this plug, and can't figure out what I need to search for and/or find it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Looking at the NewEgg pictures, that particular USB 3.0 card doesn't have any motherboard headers. And the card only has one "internal" port that is meant to be used with older cases that offered USB 3.0 ports as the front "headers."

It seems like one of the few available solutions to your problem is the Silverstone EC01 card, which actually has the same internal USB 3.0 headers that many cases now use. However, it's not cheap nor is it as commonly known or widespread as the majority of USB 3.0 cards.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So I'm pretty much SOL without buying umpteen adapters to make basically a USB 3.0 male-to-20pin female cable.

So I'm pretty much SOL without buying umpteen adapters to make basically a USB 3.0 male-to-20pin female cable.

Sadly, yes. But it's cheaper than buying a $30 add-in card to replace the $20 card you currently have.

(Then again, it only adds about $15 on top of the $20 that you've already spent so far.)

Out of curiosity, were you able to use both front USB 3.0 parts using this method?

I never bought those. I just didn't use the front ports until I got my new sb setup a couple of months ago.

For sufficiently small values of work.

Motherboard USB connectors carry two ports, that adaptor only gives access to one of them. So if you try and use that adaptor with an A-A cable then only one of your ports will work.

Also the original posters card only has one internal port so even if he got an adaptor that allowed him to get access to both ports he would still have to route the cable for one port out the back of the machine.

The right soloution is to get an appropriate card, trouble is they seem to be out of stock at the moment at least at newegg.

what Zepher posted would work if it was in stock.
I have one internal USB 3.0 A Female header on that card I purchased at newegg. I need to connect it to the 20 pin female header from the front of my case.

This is the only option available (aside from buying another card, or the like). Unfortunately its just OOS everywhere, and it seems only Cables Online is the only people selling it on the interwebs

what Zepher posted would work if it was in stock.
I have one internal USB 3.0 A Female header on that card I purchased at newegg. I need to connect it to the 20 pin female header from the front of my case.

This is the only option available (aside from buying another card, or the like). Unfortunately its just OOS everywhere, and it seems only Cables Online is the only people selling it on the interwebs

Dude, did you see my link to you from Corsair website?

I have a Xigmatek multifunction card reader from Xoxide where you have multiple card readers and usb 2.0/3.0/eSata in the box. This box mounts in the computer however I want to mount it 6ft away from my tower pc. I am looking for an extension cable to connect this 20pin USB 3.0 header cable to my motherboard.

I like all the suggestions you all posted and I have looked at all the suggested websites to put together a project I am working on. I need one of these USB 3.0 header cables with a 6 ft cable. Everything I find out there is 18" to 24" long. I like the Corsair part. it instroduces another type of cable once connected to the motherboard and I don't care. I can make the extension cables myself but the problem now is where do I find USB 3.0 bulk cable less than a 100ft. Everyone wants to sell me 1000' + and I don't need that much.

It would be nice if anyone knew where I could just find a 6ft cable extension with a 20pin male on one end and a 20pin female on the other.

Back