DirectX 10 and GPU's

Equinox4x

n00b
Hi Guys, Sorry if someone already asked this but is it true that graphics card that are made now by both Nvidia and ATI wont be supported in micosoft's next version of directx and Windows?

You will be able to use them in windows Vista to some extenxt, however you wont get any of the DirectX10 only features or any of the new eye candy in upcoming games as well.

Well that sucks for me anyway you put it. I'd like to get a 7900gt to upgrade from this 5200 but if i get it soon dx10 cards will come out and the 7900 will prolly go down and i'll feel like i got ripped. But if I wait it'll just be more hell time with the 5200.

Viperlover said:
Well that sucks for me anyway you put it. I'd like to get a 7900gt to upgrade from this 5200 but if i get it soon dx10 cards will come out and the 7900 will prolly go down and i'll feel like i got ripped. But if I wait it'll just be more hell time with the 5200.
Well, you could get like an ATI X1600 or a 7600GTfor cosiderably less, and that would probly hold you off till DX10. Just my 2 cents.

Viperlover said:
since you have such a crappy card why wait. even when the new cards come out this fall/winter you want be able to use dx10 features until Vista comes out. so we are talking at least 7 or 8 months. if they were about to come in the next month or so then i would wait since the next gen cards will better cards overall not just dx10.

yeah vista wont come out till Q1 2007 you have 6+ months. get the 7900GT, and when the time does come for DX10 you can sell your 7900GT just like people sell their 6series and even 7series cards.

Ya if you really want a 7900 i have a XFX 7900 GTX OC i could sell you PM me if your interested, I got a 7950 from BFG OTW.

I'm actually planning on getting the 7900 along with a motherboard because my crap mobo now doesn't even have AGP...... So I'm gonna have to hold off on that. How much are you asking for it though?

Viperlover said:
I'm actually planning on getting the 7900 along with a motherboard because my crap mobo now doesn't even have AGP...... So I'm gonna have to hold off on that. How much are you asking for it though?

uhhh... a 7900 is PCI-E. they dont make an agp 7900gt, so you need a pci-e x16 motherboard.

apex32 said:
uhhh... a 7900 is PCI-E. they dont make an agp 7900gt, so you need a pci-e x16 motherboard.

Technically you are incorrect.
The Gainward 7800GS+ Bliss 512MB AGP is a full 24 piped G71 core...
Hence a 7900GT with 512MB RAM for AGP.

Terra...

you guys think dx10 cards will be out within next 3 months (step up purposes)

Jasonx82 said:

the nvidia ones could be. but you are allowed to step out of the queue (once) to change your card choice. Select a 7950 or something that will put you in at #400 or something, and then by the time you're anywhere near #10 the dx10 cards should be out.

;)

MrMeikel said:
the nvidia ones could be. but you are allowed to step out of the queue (once) to change your card choice. Select a 7950 or something that will put you in at #400 or something, and then by the time you're anywhere near #10 the dx10 cards should be out.

;)
That's the best exploit I have read in a while.

heh I didn't think of it, it read it in this forum...

don't tell too many people though ;)

That is a cool exploit. Unfortunately for me, I already have a 7950...can I just put in for a step-up without telling evga what I would like to step up to? That way, I can get in queu, then out and back in for the dx10 one.

Jasonx82 said:

No, even if they complete the cards, why not hold onto them for a real solid hard launch along with Windows Vista? This way you have the marketing genius of Microsoft paying for part of your advertising. In any case, since you can't take advantage of the DX10 features until Vista ships, why release the cards early?

You then as a vendor make more money by selling more 7xxx series nVIDIA or X19xx series ATI. After all, they'd continue to be king until the new cards ship. Currently as a vendor you release them as fast as possible to one-up your competition.

Since both ATI and nVIDIA can point to Vista and say this is a solid marketing window, it gives you some breathing room to really ensure all retail chains have your product for sale on "Vista day".

So I suspect you won't see them until 2007 when Vista ships even if they are taped out and in production.

I'm purchasing a XFX 7900gt (520/1500 @ newegg for $269ar), using it until the DX10 cards come out, then giving it to my brother so he can use it in SLI since he has the same card. I'll purchase a new DX10 card once Vista is out and everyone sees which new cards work the best with no problems.

apex32 said:
Well I didn't tell you everything I'm getting. I'm getting a new motherboard also and a bunch of other stuff and I was saying that my motherboard sucks so bad right now because it
doesn't even have AGP.

I'd say buy a decent card now and enjoy it...I mean after all, you can always sell it to recoup some of the cost of a new card later.

Think about it, what if you got run over by the beer truck the day before the new card comes out and you sufferred all that time when you could have at least enjoyed something up until the end... :D

rox1co said:

That link is totally irrelevant here, go cry to your mommy or something.

BBA said:
I'd say buy a decent card now and enjoy it...I mean after all, you can always sell it to recoup some of the cost of a new card later.

Think about it, what if you got run over buy the beer truck the day before the new card comes out and you sufferred all that time when you could have at least enjoyed something up until the end... :D

That link is totally irrelevant here, go cry to your mommy or something.

Indeed, DX10 can not even be run untill vista comes out, and that's going to be sometime in 2007

I think I am just going to get one 7900 GTX for my first build. Even if DX10 cards come out later this year, vista won't be out. Once Vista is out I was going to hold off and see how it does for afew months. By then I'm sure many more DX10 cards will be out.

Yeah I wouldn't sweat DX10 too much. Even after Vista comes out and the cards come out, the games still need to be there to take advantage of it.

the dx10 code seems to be matured far beyond vista for some pretty obvious reasons. dx10 has been near completion for almost a year at this point while vista went back to concept at least once, so even if the os feels like sp0 i would bet that game performance will feel more like sp1 once vista ships. i personally will wait until vista ships to buy new harware. in fact, i plan on upgrading my entire rig at that time and the video card will take up the lion's share of my budget of $1500. my barton is getting a bit dusty. lol.

if what microsoft, GPU houses, and major game producers say comes true, the dx10 cards will not just bring in new features and more stability to our video games but increase performance beyond the incremental changes we have been seeing through hardware increases. that means an improved price/performance ratio at all consumer levels. if that isn't enough to want to wait, it is very likely that ati will decrease its prices to pad consumer confidence in Radeon, which always becomes somewhat shakey during a merger, between 09q4-07q1.

my conclusion is that it won't hurt any of us to wait until vista ships or just before to start for our core hardware (cpu, gpu, mobo, etc.) but still pick and choose for other hardware until then (memory and PSUs most notably). dx10 will be worth buying for many more reasons than we all had when going from dx8.1 to 9.0. the best reason to wait for a dx10 card?

you DO NOT need to be playing a game written for dx10 to take advantage of it! the performance and stability increases will be there no matter if it is dx9 or dx10.

Back