Disk reported as failing, how reliable?

PsichoDM

Limp Gawd
Hi,

one of my disks was reported as about to die by Windows (Vista 64) a couple of times yesterday when I was trying to copy things onto it. The error hasn't showed up again, so I'm trying to determine if Vista glitched and thought there was something wrong with the drive due to the volume of data I was copying all at the same time, or if its suspicions are legitimate.

Is there a tool anywhere that can verify for me how healthy a hard drive is? If it is about to die, then I would definitely like to know that.

Thaks!

Same thing was happening to me. I'm inclined to believe it since my system did start stalling randomly (as if one of the HDDs got unplugged). I backed up my data and ordered 3 1TB drives for a raid5 array. The thing that makes me trust it is that it always identified the same drive as failing, instead of picking randomly from the array.

Is there a tool anywhere that can verify for me how healthy a hard drive is?

AFAIK, all drive manfgs have a "diagnostic health" tool that can be downloaded.

I'm not gonna do your homework for ya. ;)

None of the tests by seatools seem to suggest anything wrong with it. I'll run the long ones later tonight, but at a first glance things seem to be ok. Wonder why Vista isn't happy with the drive.

Download HD Tune. One of the tabs on it is for Health. You can go in there and view the SMART parameters to see if any of them are out of the norms. They also have a surface scanner you can run.

Don

I would back up the data just to be sure. The point of those SMART systems is that they can see errors come before you start noticing problems.

Well, Seatools reported nothing after running every single test available. I wonder what exactly made Vista complain about it.

Back up your data.

I have failed to heed these warning in the past... and the drive always failed on me. Usually within 2 months. But sometimes within days.

Back