DiskKeeper 10, O&O 8, or WinXP's Defragger?

YARDofSTUF

[H]ard|Gawd
So whats best, what does more?

I think I remember reading that O&O Defrags the pagefile, not sure.

I have always heard good reviews about O & O, but I use the Windows utility, I really don't defrag much though, a reinstall every 8 to 12 months is good at least for me.

I think I remember reading that O&O Defrags the pagefile, not sure.

All of the popular commercial ones do. Not that it is necessary though and even if you wanted to defrag the pagefile there are free utilities available that will do it. If you really want to buy a defragger get PerfectDisk. The last time I tried Diskeeper I noticed it does a terrible job at consolidating free space. Whether or not this has changed in recent versions, I don't know.

However, considering fragmentation isn't a big problem nowadays, I wouldn't pay money for one. Just stick with the built-in defragger.

KoolDrew said:
All of the popular commercial ones do. Not that it is necessary though and even if you wanted to defrag the pagefile there are free utilities available that will do it. If you really want to buy a defragger get PerfectDisk. The last time I tried Diskeeper I noticed it does a terrible job at consolidating free space. Whether or not this has changed in recent versions, I don't know.

However, considering fragmentation isn't a big problem nowadays, I wouldn't pay money for one. Just stick with the built-in defragger.
QFT....if you decide to buy one, I concur: PerfectDisk....

I have O and O and its awesome. Low resources, defrag's when needed. Does the pagefile and can customize how you want to defrag: by name, by modified, by accessed - its great. The O and O team are also incredibly helpful too so if you have any questions just ask.

TheGamerZ said:
For some reason O&O would always cause a BSOD on my comp.
1st time i tried it it gave me BSOD too. never used it again. using diskepper now. no problems yet.

Well I just installed it again to see what caused it. Turns out it was the Nvidia IDE drivers. Reverted to the microsoft defaults and everything's moving along smoothly. Defragged my Raptor 150 in 26 min (access mode)

Total O&O fan here, and have been for some time now. It just has more advanced options than Diskeeper & does a better job than the MS defrag. That's why I'm a continual customer :)

I've been using Diskeeper for a few months. It seems a lot better than the one Windows comes with. Although I do remember reading somewhere that the Windows defrag was actually part of Diskeeper (or PerfectDisk) but with less features and slightly worse at defragging.

I have no complaints, but I haven't used the other ones so I can't compare really.

I say Diskeeper. O&O doesn't have a screensaver defrag mode. I am constantly on the move with my laptop. So, I can't say that it will always be on at 1:00pm everyday. I set Diskeeper to screensaver mode and it does it's dirty work when I walk away to go to a meeting.

Whats wrong with windows utility, it is all you need. Unless you have a server, moving large files back and forth, lots of HD usage. Even then you wont notice a big diff. between windows defrag utility and something you have to pay for. Other utilitys are made for businesses.

I use Power Defragmenter GUI 2.0.105 freeware and runs in command line during defragmenting process.

App. Info.

Power Defragmenter is based on Sysinternals defragmentation "engine".

Basically its just a very advanced GUI for the Sysinternals core application which takes defragmentation process to a whole new level.

Very high defragmentation speed, efficiency and ease of use.

Such high speed is only available with Sysinternals defragmentation "engine".

Another vote for PerfectDisk. Works great and have been using it for about 4-5 years now.

...just my $0.02... :cool:

Some people still will argue this to no end, but O&O has a reputation of causing problems. An individual will use it without a problem, so they will swear that it's the best software ever made, while ignoring the many complaints about O&O. Diskeeper is the defacto standard for defragging, and the built in Windows utility is based on Diskeeper, just without the fancy features.

My recommendation is, read about Diskeeper. If you need those extra features, use it. If not, use the built in utility. I've corrupted too many hard drives to ever use O&O again, and you can find many people who won't use it either. Why even consider it when better alternatives exist?

djnes, do you have any experience with Perfect Disk and how it would compare to the others? any stability issues?

ChingChang said:
djnes, do you have any experience with Perfect Disk and how it would compare to the others? any stability issues?
No, unfortunately, I don't. I really should put it on a test machine of mine and give it a whirl. I've never heard anyone complain about it, so it definitely deserves a chance.

The Windows 2000/XP built-in defragger is actually a lite version of Diskeeper. I use Diskeeper 10 on all my company's servers as it has an intelligent "Set it and Forget It" feature. Basically, it runs in the background with almost zero overhead and continuously monitors the disks for fragmentation. Once it spots some fragmentation, it clears it up immediately. This prevents those hours-long disk defrags when you only remember to defrag every few months.

they all have different features different people appreciate
I appreciate the features in O&O

Ice Czar said:
O&O Defrag Pro
Invaluable tool for optimizing, wouldnt want to be without it
I have it intgrated into the MMC and from the commandline as well
running version 4

saturnine2 said:
It gives you more options, lets you defrag based on date, filename, etc.

t. shuffle said:
I have never understood how either of those options would be valuable.

Complete Name > Using this convention it is possible for you to create directories that will comntain Program Groups closer to the OD (Outer Diameter) of the HDD platter where both the sustained transfer rate and the latency are better, alternately, aps or data that doesnt require a high sustained transfer or that are infrequently accessed can be placed in a directory closer to the ID of the platter (or partition) basically it extends the partition strategy into a single partition, my Adobe and AutoCAD directories being in a much better position than Video Directory (media doesnt require much if its read only)

Complete Date or Access > are primarilly for Database server use, though if you give some thought to it....
say you mount an NTFS Volume as a folder (we'll make it a logical partition\drive in the backend of the HDD in an extended partition) this partition simply holds email files or docs, none of them very big, so even with the lower density in the ID of the disk, the files are also smaller and the latency thus offset, organizing these by date is likely adventageous since your more likely to need to access those than older "storage", thus those files will be closer to the front of the partition, so that when accessed the armeture and head will have less distance to traverse and their position farther out from the ID will have better density and thus lower latency

(caveat, by placing those small and frequently access files as a mounted drive located at the back of the HDD, the arm would need to traverse far outside its "normal" OS partition with considerable ncreased latency, your best access is within any given partition, one of the reasons indexing can have a negative impact on HDD performance, so downloading and writing email as you recieve it by leaving your client open as opposed to checking your email a few times a day can act very similar to indexing, would have little impact for gebneral use, but if your Photoshopin or working on some other disk intensive access, it can be a performance loss)

to understand disk access optimizing its important to understand disks first
Id highly recommend the As the Hard Disc Spins series @ Lost Circuits and Partitioning Strategies @ Radified

personally I recommend you trial the big three and see what features you apprciate most
Diskeeper, O&O and PerfectDisk

live with em awhile then decide ;)

ive tried perfect disk and diskeeper i like them both i have to try o &o but im a little bit scared since ive also heard of people getting bsod and corrupting there hard drives with that program

Ive never had an issue

but then I always say there is no time like the present to make sure you have full backs either :p

Back