DIY 6 channel headphones

poopy

Limp Gawd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CZQxnx2vU4

Has anyone here tried this? I am thinking about buying a new set of circumaural headphones to try this out. Using vista's sound panel I can set the speaker configuration to 7.1 and then disable the front center channel. If it works well, it would sure beat spending $80+ bucks for the 5.1 gaming headphones.

Please tell me this is a joke. I mean, who on earth thinks that's a good idea. I'll rather buy headphones from waltmart for $20 before ever trying this. I mean, come on.

LMAO ...
there's at least half a dozen problems with this idea, especially how about the fact that he used tha main headphone as LFE and CENTER. Unless you re-wired the plug, wouldn't you get LFE on one side and CENTER on the other?

yeah, not the brightest idea I've seen

interesting thought though

honestly, just get good stereo headphones, and call it a day, the immersion is more than good enough

Even if you rewire the over the ear headphones I can't see this ever sounding better then a decent set of stereo headphones. Not to mention how uncomfortable they would have to be.

/facepalm

You do realize we only have 2 ears right, and all "3d" sound processing is done by those 2 inputs. Any half decent sound card and probably even most integrated sound solutions will have some simulated headphone surround using 2 speakers that will blow away any remote speaker solution in terms of positional sound, as they can simulate not only front/side/back but also over and under as well.

I just got back from bestbuy with a new set of inexpensive circumaural headphones and put my existing earbuds in just like in the video. It works alright. I can clearly differentiate the direction of the sounds. There is a very slight difference in sound quality between the earbuds and the circumaural headphones, but I'm happy how it came out.

Omg, he actually did, lol.:p
Please show us some pictures, we want to see your monster creation.:D

Omg, he actually did, lol.:p
Please show us some pictures, we want to see your monster creation.:D

I'd love to, but I don't own a camera. Not even a cell phone camera. I'm a bit of a luddite in that regard.

There will be absolutely no bass response from the earbuds

There is some, but the cheap circumaurals I bought don't have much either, so it kinda works out :). I wasn't expecting to achieve the absolute pinnacle of sound reproduction with these. The only annoying thing about it is having 3 wires going to each ear instead of 1.

Back