DJI Grounds Spark Owners Without Firmware Update

monkeymagick

[H]News
Heads up for any owners of the DJI Spark, a mandatory firmware update is needed or your drone won't be able to fly. As mentioned previously, the drones were having some technical difficulties during operation. DJI issued a statement for the requirement. Users will be prompted with an update when launching the DJI GO 4 App, which will update the firmware for its battery and craft itself. You can also update using the DJI Assistant 2 desktop software. Update notes can be found here with added support for the DJI Goggles.

The Spark will be prevented from taking off after September 1st unless the update is applied. In a statement, DJI said that it had "decided on the option of a mandatory firmware update in order to maximize flight safety and product reliability."

I'm sorry no company should be able to make a software update brick a item till you update as it's a slippery slope. What happened to personal responsibility? If you don't update and it falls on someone head it means 1 your a dick for flying it over someone head and you knew the risk to not update it.

Reactions: HoffY
like this
I'm sorry no company should be able to make a software update brick a item till you update as it's a slippery slope. What happened to personal responsibility? If you don't update and it falls on someone head it means 1 your a dick for flying it over someone head and you knew the risk to not update it.
Where were you during the Note 7 panic of 2016?

Where were you during the Note 7 panic of 2016?
I said the same thing then. If I knowingly use an defective item and it blows up then that is 100% on me. What if in a few years cars start shutting down as they are not safe enough compared to new cars or something?

I said the same thing then. If I knowingly use an defective item and it blows up then that is 100% on me. What if in a few years cars start shutting down as they are not safe enough compared to new cars or something?
The issue is you're right but most people are morons and do not see it as the users fault but instead blame the company for it. It doesn't matter that they issued a fix and a warning, the second it happens it will hurt their reputation because people don't care about facts and only care about shinning up their pitch forks. You find a way to have people not blame the company for something their idiot users do and they wont have to protect themselves by treating you like an idiot.

I think they were looking after the safety of others and not the dumbasses that decided to knowingly keep a phone that will explode.

How will they make them not fly if you don't update them?

They won't if you never hook up your phone or ipad to the internet when you open the DJI app. Once you do though it'll know not to fly until you do the update.

Back