Do Corsair PSUs have the appropriate connectors for the new Nvidia 98** cards?

Mike Clements

Gone but not Forgotten
Do Corsair PSUs have the appropriate connectors for the new Nvidia 98** cards?

There is a mechanical issue with the 9800 cards and virtually ALL PSUs. Nvidia has made the locking tab slot on the card narrow enough that most 8pin and most 6+2 pin connectors will not fully snap in. They will work electrically but, the tab will not lock the connector into the slot on the card.

Corsair PSU's will work just fine electrically but you may either have to leave the tab out of the slot temporarily or cut the tab off. Nvidia is supposed to supply their partners with a proper adapter within a couple of weeks to negate the need for this. If you can't wait or if your cable will not work with the tab on it, you can clip the tab off the PCI-e cable. Some users have been able to wiggle and "finesse" the connector in so this may not apply to everyone.

OFFICIAL CORSAIR STATEMENT: If you need to clip the tab on the PCI-e connector to make the connector work with these cards, it DOES NOT constitute a voided warranty.

Any other modifications to the cables or PSU as stated by the warranty terms WILL constitute a voided warranty.

Interesting. I have a 520hx and i'm trading my GTS in for a GX2 and plan on getting a 750TX which i forsee having the same issue. Good to know i can do some shaving.

Interesting. I have a 520hx and i'm trading my GTS in for a GX2 and plan on getting a 750TX which i forsee having the same issue. Good to know i can do some shaving.

Cool, glad to hear getting the news out early is helping. We try to anticipate stuff like this but can't always do it.

Hey veedubfreak, are you the same veedubfreak I play BF2 with?

:eek: Corsair and a bunch of other naughty PSU makers didn't follow the PCI-e spec when they designed those. At least they're doing the right thing now to fix it.

:eek: Corsair and a bunch of other naughty PSU makers didn't follow the PCI-e spec when they designed those. At least they're doing the right thing now to fix it.
You are misinterpreting the information. This type of plug has been standardized and in use LONG before these new cards came out......

Two things are being done to help alleviate this issue. First, board vendors will be making available adaptors to help the oversized plugs work with the GeForce 9800 GX2. Second, PSU manufacturers are updating their designs to follow PCI-E specification.
From Guru3d

PSU manufacturers are updating their designs to follow PCI-e spec. They were "overbuilt" before because durability was a bigger issue before this card came along. The 9800GX2 follows the spec to the letter, but PSU makers haven't been. Now they have to remedy that. If it was the other way around, nVidia would have to take the full responsibility for this problem, not Corsair.

I love you Corsair.

Best powersupplies I ever owned. Second 620HX so far (new rig, the other one was going strong.)

please someone post something about the 520HX which im currently running!

Yeah I'm curious if a 9800GX2 would run on my 520HX. I do have the 8-pin PCI-E connector I stole from my friend's 620HX.

Despite what some might tell you... there is no official spec for the connector.

There's a draft, and this draft has ZERO information on clip width, clearance zones, etc. The specification draft merely points out pin out, pin shape and outlines the use of +12V sense... something else nobody is using right now because it's not a final "spec".

Back