Does my monitor dictate which brand of card is better for me?

mlapgw

Gawd
I am looking to buy a new graphics card. Thinking about the $800 range. Have been reading reviews.
I am coming from 980ti.

Is it advisable to stay with NVIDIA because I am using a Viewsonic XG270QG? It is one of those G-SYNC ULTIMATE displays.

It's not a huge deal, but there would be advantages to staying with Nvidia. A G-SYNC ULTIMATE display has an actual hardware G-Sync module that controls the G-Sync functionality, and you can only use the module if you have an Nvidia card. Displays without the module just use the open Adaptive Sync standard, branded "Freesync" by AMD and labeled "G-Sync Compatible" by Nvidia. If you used your current monitor with an AMD card, you could still use Adaptive Sync / Freesync, so you would still have most of the same functionality, but again, you would not be able to use the monitor's built-in G-Sync module.

The hardware G-Sync module does have some advantages. Adaptive Sync aka Freesync aka G-Sync Compatible only works within a specific frequency range. Usually the lower limit is around 48Hz or so (depends on the monitor and settings). Below that, it has to use LFC (Low Frequency Compensation) which basically duplicates each frame to get it back within the supported range. With the hardware module, it simply works at any frequency, all the way down to 1Hz.

I used an Adaptive Sync / Freesync / G-Sync Compatible monitor for a handful of years before switching to a monitor with an actual G-Sync Module. I feel that while using Adaptive Sync was "pretty good", the hardware module is superior. It simply works better, with less BS.

Last edited:
It will work with either G-Sync or FreeSync so you're not limited to only Nvidia cards if you want to keep variable refresh rate.

1694886432449.png

I'd probably go a little under budget and consider the RX 7800 XT (~$500) or RTX 4070 (~$600) and save the extra money. Put it to a platform upgrade within the next few years because that 6700K will bottleneck you somewhat at 1440P (assuming this is going in that rig in your signature). I think you'll still have a pretty good experience though, especially if you have CPU overclock.

Thank you for the responses. I updated my sig to reflect current set up, 5800x3d. I do like the performance reviews of the 7800xt and price is definitely nicer than 4070ti I've been considering.
I am just gaming with this. I will stay at 1440p. I'll use it with a Quest 2 now and and update in the future.

I was concerned I might give up something I'd miss if I switched brands, never tried an AMD with this screen.

No. Only reason you'd want to go with an nvidia card is if you have a monitor that has hardware based g-sync, which requires nvidia.

No. Only reason you'd want to go with an nvidia card is if you have a monitor that has hardware based g-sync, which requires nvidia.

Op's monitor DOES have a hardware G-Sync Module. All "G-SYNC ULTIMATE" monitors have a hardware G-Sync module. His monitor will still work with an AMD card just like any other Adaptive Sync / Freesync / "G-Sync Compatible" monitor would, but it won't be using the hardware module at all, and he will lose some of the benefits that are unique to it.

Thank you for the responses. I updated my sig to reflect current set up, 5800x3d. I do like the performance reviews of the 7800xt and price is definitely nicer than 4070ti I've been considering.
I am just gaming with this. I will stay at 1440p. I'll use it with a Quest 2 now and and update in the future.

I was concerned I might give up something I'd miss if I switched brands, never tried an AMD with this screen.
So as GotNoRice explained you'll lose out on the full VRR range (1Hz - 165Hz) and instead be getting 48Hz - 165Hz. I think you'll also lose out on variable overdrive. I'm not sure the other features you would miss out on. Since your monitor has a G-Sync module it might be worth staying on Nvidia. Response time might be marginally improved too?

I've used my LG 27GL83A-B with both an Nvidia 3080 Ti and AMD 6900 XT. This monitor doesn't support variable overdrive, and I've never changed off the default "Fast" preset the monitor came with. It also only supports 48Hz - 144Hz for it's VRR range. I haven't noticed the drawbacks with lack of variable overdrive (overshooting or inverse ghosting) but maybe I got lucky? You did originally pay for the G-Sync module so you'll likely have a little better experience with Nvidia in this case. For someone with a FreeSync / G-Sync Compatible monitor they wouldn't have to consider something like this.

Essentially no. But if you want your proprietary features, you gotta stick with the proprietary hardware.

I have horrible flickering on my aopen VA panel with both 5700xt and 7900xt. so keep taht in mind.

Seeing you are using a Quest 2, I recommend staying with Nvidia. AMD cards have had issues with encoders and other VR issues.
I am not sure if you are using Virtual Desktop or even know about it, but in their Discord it has been a glaring issue with AMD cards.

Seeing you are using a Quest 2, I recommend staying with Nvidia. AMD cards have had issues with encoders and other VR issues.
I am not sure if you are using Virtual Desktop or even know about it, but in their Discord it has been a glaring issue with AMD cards.
This issue was resolved over two months ago with a headset firmware update and a gpu driver update. To get the utmost clarity your headset requires 1.7 super sampling so in that case a 7900XT would be the optimum choice.

Last edited:
This issue was resolved over two months ago with a headset firmware update and a gpu driver update. To get the utmost clarity your headset requires 1.7 super sampling so in that case a 7900XT would be the optimum choice.
It took for over six months for it to be fixed and even then the performance is lower than Nvidia cards. The encoders issue has been fixed, broken and fixed, while the broken period took almost two years and made it useless for Virtual Desktop users.
Nvidia cards never suffered these issues at all, so for VR users it is a way safer bet to go with Nvidia, going for AMD with VR is like Russian roulette.

It took for over six months for it to be fixed and even then the performance is lower than Nvidia cards. The encoders issue has been fixed, broken and fixed, while the broken period took almost two years and made it useless for Virtual Desktop users.
Nvidia cards never suffered these issues at all, so for VR users it is a way safer bet to go with Nvidia, going for AMD with VR is like Russian roulette.
...so if something gets fixed it just doesn't matter?

Ampere never had structural issues like AMD had in drivers. Every card has mentions of issues on forums, but most of the issues are due to user error. Too high SS, graphical settings and all that.

The problem the 7X series card had, was stuttering and low frame rate, only in VR which were proven issues because of the drivers. In VR you need at least 80 steady (thus without any kind of stutter) FPS or the experience gets ruined.

N=1 explanation here, but I had a 3080 and it worked great with VR for me, bought it in november 2020. Couldn't crank it up all the way I wanted, so went with the 4090 a month after launch and again, worked fine out of the box.

Yes, AMD fixed it now, but for VR and especially wireless streaming, AMD has proven not to be able or care to fix their issues and when they did broke them again. This is from the Virtual Desktop Discord. There are so many issues still with encoding and AMD, it is just better to get an Nvidia card.

Now, am I happy about that? Not at all, while the 4090 does a great job, it is very expensive and rather paid a lot less. The reason I am giving my advice, is to prevent people to have issues with VR and finding out the issue is with the card, after you can turn it back in for a refund.

Now to sidenote that, the biggest issues with AMD have been with wireless streaming and the VR stutter issue seems to have been fixed for good, but in this case, the person mentioned the Quest 2 which is mostly used wireless and thus streaming (which means encoding) is used.
But again, all the serious VR review sites have unanimously come to the conclusion that Nvidia has better performance when it comes to VR.

If you do not game in VR, go with AMD or Nvidia every way you like, but really, in VR Nvidia is the safest bet.

Agree with overall performance being better but my contention was the fact you stated Nvidia never has issues which is just plain incorrect. Every new iteration of gpu architecture presents new driver challenges for VR and some take longer than others to get sorted. Blanket statements too closely resemble parroting internet babble and should be avoided especially regarding the challenges presented by VR as a whole. Apologies for the temporary thread derailment OP.

Reactions: noko
like this
This blanket statement is true, how unfortunate it is. Especially for the Quest since all ways of using the Quest uses streaming.

The amount of issues with streaming, double images, one black and one distorted eye, no picture at all, is happening a lot. There are some working drivers, but those don't work with newer games, so you will have to switch back and forth with drivers. Highly annoying and if you ask me, not a feasible way to use with the Quest 2.

Not off topic at all, since the op asked about use with the Quest 2.

Back