Does Photosgop CS4 take advantage of the 4870x2?

Brashen

Gawd
I' m debating whether I should go for a 4870x2 over the gtx 280? Will Photoshop take advantage of the 2gb found on the 4870x2?

Thanks guys!!

I can't say yes or no but here's what I've experienced.

My wife and I both have CS4.

My computer is a dual 3.2ghz quad core xeon mac pro with 8gb of ram and an ATI 2600.

My wifes PC is a 3.0ghz core2duo with 8gb of ram, an ATI 4870x2 and Vista64.

Her photoshop opens in ~2.5 seconds while mine takes about 11 seconds. She can process raw photos from her 10mp dslr at a rate of about 1 per 4 seconds. It takes my mac over 20 seconds.

Back when we were on CS3, everything was faster on my mac (I don't have timings offhand).

Now it could be a mac VS pc thing but adobe has always been onboard with macs so I wouldn't think the code any worse.

CS4 will take advantage of 1GB of that ram along with one GPU.

I got a warning the other day that Photoshop CS4 would only accelerate 18 windows open. :)

stupid question but does photoshop render 3D or something?
I thought it was just image editing. Where does this GPU power needed?

My computer is a dual 3.2ghz quad core xeon mac pro with 8gb of ram and an ATI 2600.

Her photoshop opens in ~2.5 seconds while mine takes about 11 seconds. She can process raw photos from her 10mp dslr at a rate of about 1 per 4 seconds. It takes my mac over 20 seconds.

Back when we were on CS3, everything was faster on my mac (I don't have timings offhand).

Now it could be a mac VS pc thing but adobe has always been onboard with macs so I wouldn't think the code any worse.

CS4 is 64bit on the PC.

It just uses GPU acceleration for resizing, rotating and moving 2D images around. Nice if you deal with very large file size pictures.

What is your wife doing on a gaming PC with a HD 4870 X2 in it? Sorry, let me rephrase that, what are you doing on a Mac? ;)

CS3 introduced 3D model editing into Photoshop.
CS4 takes advantage of your graphics card to render images. This results in smoother zooming and panning. It's useful for very large images.

thanks Kyle and Einhander.
Thats cool to see gaming video cards used effectively other than games.

hmm i didn't know it would make that much of a difference, maybe i should upgrade to cs4 soon. Btw, is cs4 backward compatible?cuz all my school computers still have cs3 and they are not upgrading anytime soon...

I just had a ton of CS4 licenses ordered; we are upgrading our CS2 users. It's my understanding that with Photoshop, pretty much everything is backwards compatible. InDesign on the other hand...

Back