dos serial connection software

Fark_Maniac

2[H]4U
i'm looking to repurpose an old laptop only for the use of connecting to devices via serial console.

I was thinking of just formatting a disk to a dos prompt and running a program via command line since that is all I will need out of it...but what software could I use in a dos environment that will let me open up a serial console?

I remeber back in the day I used a freeware program called Terminat for all of my terminal emulation needs. Was a sweeeeet program. In fact, I found an old backup the other day and opened it up. Had all my old phone numbers, passwords, usernames, and scripts all right there and ready to go. Was a nice trip down memory lane.

It was a pretty good free software and I'm sure you can find it on some old archive site.

dos commands: interlnk & intersrv
I think this to link two computers together...this won't help me much.
I remeber back in the day I used a freeware program called Terminat for all of my terminal emulation needs. Was a sweeeeet program. In fact, I found an old backup the other day and opened it up. Had all my old phone numbers, passwords, usernames, and scripts all right there and ready to go. Was a nice trip down memory lane.

It was a pretty good free software and I'm sure you can find it on some old archive site.
Google can't find anything on terminat...

to be more specific, I'll be using this mostly to console into UPS units and power strips.

I used Qmodem back in the DOS days. There's also Kermit. The programs can be used to connect to serial terminals, with several different emulations: http://short.stop.home.att.net/freesoft/comm1.htm

There are also ways of making a very light 1.44MB version of Windows 3.1, then you can use Terminal and have a basic GUI.

Browse over here and download tm421-1.zip, tm421-2.zip, tm421-3.zip, tm421-4.zip and extract them to the same directory (go ahead and overwrite files, it's just the diz file).

Then launch the telemate.bat file and walk through the setup.

It's not terminate, but it's another popular one from "back in the day". Telemate was a real nice one, too!

Back