DoubleSight DS-263N - 26"

Just got my monitor just Amazon, no polarizer :( I can return it up to August 7, so I'm just going to keep it until I can order the DS-265W.

Some good news though, if anyone was looking at this LCD arm, it does hold up the monitor with the help of an adapter. Hopefully the DS-265W won't be too much heavier since the screws are already pretty tight.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Does this monitor have some kind of sleep mode? Whenever I try to turn it on the next morning, it checks for sources, but doesn't find any. I have to reset my computer to get the monitor back on.

Purchased two DS-263N's from Newegg.com. Both arrived without the A-TW polarizer. One had a stuck/dead pixel. The other was just fine.
I'm refunding one, and I'm in the process of replacing the other. In hopes of receiving one with a A-TW polarizer.
I bought them on 6/12/2008.
My question is, did anyone get the polarizer from the recent 6/12/2008 batch of monitors?
I read that some did, and some didn't. If you did get the A-TW, are you 100% sure? From what I'm reading, those people that DID, sound like they don't know what they're talking about. Let me explain how you can tell if you do, or don't:

1. Set up the monitor, connect it to your PC.
2. Load up Toasty-X's icc profile (works for XP and Vista 64/32)
3. Calibrate your monitor with Toasty-X's settings

http://www.toastyx.net/DS-263N.icc

Settings used:

DV MODE: TEXT
BRIGHTNESS: 12.5%
CONTRAST: 50.0%
SHARPNESS: 40.0%

RED GAIN: 100.0%
GREEN GAIN: 100.0%
BLUE GAIN: 100.0%
RED OFFSET: 50.0%
GREEN OFFSET: 25.0%
BLUE OFFSET: 50.0%
SATURATION: 0.0%

Now once you have all that done, make your room dark as possible.
Go into your display settings, find the screen saver tab. Now select the Blank screen saver. Press TEST.
At this point your monitor should display a completely black screen. Stand up, walk to the left or to the right of the monitor. You should see a distinctive reddish tint. Not white, not pink, not pinkish white. RED.

If you purchased a DS-263N from Newegg.com after 6/12/2008 and your monitor is displaying the faint red tint, (tell tale sign of the A-TW polarizer) you should post and let us know. That way we at least know there is a chance we will get one from Newegg.

On another note, to all of you afraid to order from Newegg.com because of their return policy. I bought 2, they had no problem completely refunding one, and replacing another. They have since changed their product description since 6/29/2008 from

"DoubleSight DS-263N Black 26" 5ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor with A-TW Polarizer and 4 USB ports - Retail"
to
"DoubleSight DS-263N Black 26" 5ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor with 4 USB ports - Retail"

I don't know if that will affect future returns. Because when I called, I told them that I didn't receive my A-TW polarizer model as advertised. In reply Newegg.com offered a refund or exchange. They even sent a prepaid shipping label through email within the hour. If you ask them to send one with a polarizer.... you're retarded. You can't expect them to open box after box plugging in each unit as they go, then repackage one, and send it to you. That just isn't good business. Just call, say its broke, say you want a new one, or you want a replacement. Plain and simple.

Another thing, the new model of this monitor is going to use the SAME PANEL.Only difference will be the stand, bezel, and HDMI. Do you really expect them to start producing panels with A-TW polarizers ? That'd require them to purchase and/or manufacture all new panels. That doesn't seem very cost effective, when they can just put the same motor, into a different body. I don't know if you noticed but the DS-263N's stand is a spitting image of the Planar's stand. I imagine they purchased a bunch of stands from Planar's manufacturer, or distributor, and just melted their name into the bezel to get a good monitor on the market ASAP. (If you bought a DS-263N, you know what I'm talking about. The gold sticker is slightly tilted as if put in at the last minute) Now that they made their money, they're going to give their version of the monitor a distinctive DS look.
Another thing to consider is, what if they discontinue the DS-263N in favor of the new DS-263W, and you find out that the input lag is horrible because the HDMI implementation. Just buy the DS-263N. Unless you really want the prettier, more expensive, possibly worse, DS-263W.

Oh ya, one last thing... This is the best monitor I've ever seen. And I've only seen the non A-TW polarizer verison. I gamed with it, watched movies on it, and did some photo work with it. Freakin awesome. Only reason why I returned mine is because if I'm going to $828 for a monitor ($699.99+$128 shipping) Then I expect to get what I paid for. But if I do get one without the polarizer this time, I'm going to keep it. ---Maybe they borrowed some planar panels for the first batch?-- And everything we've been seeing is what we should come to expect...
I waiting on my replacement (third monitor). It'd be nice to know if anyone got one with a A-TW polarizer after 6/12/2008.

They have computers in Australia?

I don't find that funny at all cause we can't get the darn thing here in Australia. We don't have any decent Monitors here except the NEC 2490. 2690, 3090 series which are all out of my price range.

Next best 24's are the Dell 2408WFP and Samsung 245T. Now you can see why I am not laughing ;). Is there any way I could get these into Australia?

Well I couldnt resist. Newegg had some open box DS-263N monitors at $599. I know that I am taking a chance but I still can return it within 15 days if it looks real bad. Im not too concerned about the polarizer..........just dead pixels.
I already have the Planar PX2611W and have been very happy with it so the Doublesight will go side by side with the Planar to replace the Dell 2407 that is there right now.
It has already shipped so it should be interesting.

I just received my second one from Amazon (RMA'd the first because of no polarizer.) This new one DOES NOT have the polarizer... :(

I am not sure if i want to RMA again. This is really annoying.

I feel sorry for if you bought an open box. I recently returned 2 monitors, both without polarizer, 1 with a dead pixel. Shortly after RMA inspection the open box sale began.

Keep in mind, open box means returned items. Someone returned it for a reason. It might have 7 dead pixels, they'll still sell it. Be careful.

I feel sorry for if you bought an open box. I recently returned 2 monitors, both without polarizer, 1 with a dead pixel. Shortly after RMA inspection the open box sale began.

Keep in mind, open box means returned items. Someone returned it for a reason. It might have 7 dead pixels, they'll still sell it. Be careful.

Well if it does have bad pixels then it goes back. I have 15 days on open box for refund. I dont care about the polarizer. I have been very happy with my Planar PX2611 which doesnt have one.

I have the DS263N connected to the computer via VGA and connected to a Philips DVDR 3576H via DVI-I to HDMI (tried DVI-D to HDMI with poor results). For those who have had trouble connecting to set top boxes, try the DVI-I connection. Also, you may need to turn other devices connected to the screen off, or put your computer in Standby, to force it to HDCP handshake with your set top box.

(While HDCP handshaking can be an issue, I tend to attribute it to HDCP implementations in general, rather than anything in particular the panel is doing.)

The Philips device records TV to an internal hard drive, similar to a Tivo, except that it also allows you to archive your shows by burning them to DVD in standard DVD format that can be played in any player. It has an HD QAS tuner, analog tuner, and serves as an upsample DVD player.

Fantastic picture, seems to have the polarizer (I note a red tint).
Polarizer or not, it is difficult to complain about this panel. Connected to a tuner, it also serves as a 26" 1080P HDTV (a step up from the 26" 720P HDTVs you will typically find in stores).
____
Order History
Originally, I had ordered from Buy.com on backorder. However, a confirmation email from them went to the spamfilter, and they cancelled the order. I understood why they would want confirmation before the sent one out, but, became irritated that they cancelled the order entirely, causing me to "lose my place in line" for the next batch.

Frustrated, I ordered from Amazon.com at $799.99 and free shipping. However, while shipping from PA, Amazon briefly dropped the price to $719.99. When I asked about their price protection, they credited the difference back to me.

Ultimately, I returned the first panel, because of a marred spot on the screen roughly the size of a pencil eraser that caused a rainbow on the screen during dark scenes. It also had a stuck pixel. Amazon cross-shipped a replacement that arrived with zero screen defects. The second panel came from a NV facility.

how do you know if you're going to get one with or without the A-TW-Pol anti-glow polarizer?

I would like to know too.

I just received this open box from NewEgg and so far it looks perfect. I have it side by side with my Planar 2611W and almost think the PQ is better on the DS-263N.

The screen seems perfect with no dead or bad pixels. I would like to know about the polarizer because I do notice that the screen on the DS has a different look actually brighter with a reddish tint than the Planar. I may have to calibrate it to the same settings as the Planar to get the real story.

If it has a reddish tint at an angle, it has the A-TW polarizer.

Well if I stand above the DS and look at a white screen it is reddish. The Planar does not have this look. So I dont know.

Im still trying to figure out why this was returned. I dont see anything wrong with it and Im real picky about TV and computer screens.

Nevermind after reading the above post I dont see the reddish tint with a black background.
They must have returned this because it didnt have a polarizer.

The screen does look different than the Planar. It is more white. The Planar is off white.

After some thought.. This monitor is going back to newegg. Not because it doesn't have a polarizer but because of other annoying problems.

For one, I upgraded to 64 bit vista to exploit my 4 gigs of ram (which isn't possible in 32 bits due to kernel reserved memory addresses). But with vista this screen has a tendency to reset my display configurations due to the way it handles power (It randomly resets the monitor position and flips which display is primary and etc when I turn my monitor off then on). None of the fixes online has solved this problem. I think whenever I turn this monitor off, it registers in windows as a disconnected monitor which then vista has trouble with. This is mostly a problem with vista, but also partially due to the way this monitor's off mode works.

I would downgrade to xp, but then xp has an annoying tendency to not recognize the monitor on a fresh boot unless I ctr-alt-del during initial bios screen and no the monitor driver does not fix that for me.

All in all, I loved the monitor except for these problems even without the polarizer. I was going to wait for the 265W but I'm not sure if these problems will be fixed. So tonight I purchased a 32LZ800 LCD TV to use as my monitor for roughtly the same price as the doublesight. It also has an IPS panel (IPS-alpha/pro) which I hear is on par with H-IPS so I will report back with quality differences + experiences with a 32inch 1080p as a monitor if anyone else is interested.

I have a question for those of you with the DS-263N. Does the blue power light blink on and off after you shut your computer down?

It seems to take awhile to come out of that mode also when I start the computer. The Planar does not do this.

Something is not working right. I can't get to page 70. It just displays page 69 when I click next page, 70, or last page.

Well, posting to the forum finally got me to page 70.

thefurion: please share your experience on 32lz800 as I'm thinking about using that for monitor as well.

Thanks

After some thought.. This monitor is going back to newegg. Not because it doesn't have a polarizer but because of other annoying problems.

For one, I upgraded to 64 bit vista to exploit my 4 gigs of ram (which isn't possible in 32 bits due to kernel reserved memory addresses). But with vista this screen has a tendency to reset my display configurations due to the way it handles power (It randomly resets the monitor position and flips which display is primary and etc when I turn my monitor off then on). None of the fixes online has solved this problem. I think whenever I turn this monitor off, it registers in windows as a disconnected monitor which then vista has trouble with. This is mostly a problem with vista, but also partially due to the way this monitor's off mode works.

I would downgrade to xp, but then xp has an annoying tendency to not recognize the monitor on a fresh boot unless I ctr-alt-del during initial bios screen and no the monitor driver does not fix that for me.

All in all, I loved the monitor except for these problems even without the polarizer. I was going to wait for the 265W but I'm not sure if these problems will be fixed. So tonight I purchased a 32LZ800 LCD TV to use as my monitor for roughtly the same price as the doublesight. It also has an IPS panel (IPS-alpha/pro) which I hear is on par with H-IPS so I will report back with quality differences + experiences with a 32inch 1080p as a monitor if anyone else is interested.

Please tell me where you got this deal :D
(b/c it looks closer to $1k+ at the local B&M's)

But this is truly great. I thought I was in the minority still sticking with IPS (especially in HDTVs), but quite a few people thinking alike here (in choosing between DS or the Panny 32LZ800). I'm particularly interested in:

-Input lag
-Scaled resolutions (PC-side) - especially the old 480 or 4:3
-Colors - let us know what settings you like or don't like.

FYI newegg has this monitor open box for $477.84. Just picked one up I can't pass it up at that price.

FYI newegg has this monitor open box for $477.84. Just picked one up I can't pass it up at that price.

They must be sold out completely because I dont see it listed new or open box.

I just got an open box too for 599 and Im very happy with it. No defects that I can see.
I think it must be a return from someone looking for the polarizer. It was already calibrated very nicely.

I have it side by side with my Planar 26" and almost think that the DS has a better picture.

Im still wondering if the blue power light is supposed to flash when the computer is turned off. That is alittle annoying..........the Planar green light doesnt flash like this.

They must be sold out completely because I dont see it listed new or open box.

I just got an open box too for 599 and Im very happy with it. No defects that I can see.
I think it must be a return from someone looking for the polarizer. It was already calibrated very nicely.

I have it side by side with my Planar 26" and almost think that the DS has a better picture.

Im still wondering if the blue power light is supposed to flash when the computer is turned off. That is alittle annoying..........the Planar green light doesnt flash like this.

Do you hold down the power button to turn it off at all? Or are you letting the DS stay on even after you shut the computer down?
The light flashes because it is still on but no signal is being sent.

Do you hold down the power button to turn it off at all? Or are you letting the DS stay on even after you shut the computer down?
The light flashes because it is still on but no signal is being sent.

No I just turn the computer off. I do not turn off the monitor. I thought it was supposed to go into a sleep mode. I do the same with the Planar and the light stays on but doesnt flash.

I would have thought stores would reduce prices to clear stock (which im sure they must have more of). Oh well, a few more weeks to go. :)

Most of the confusion stems from the fact that people say "polarizer" when they mean "A-TW polarizer" (myself included).

It seems to me that DoubleSight has willfully abused this (lack of) distinction in multiple instances and with multiple members of this forum. The fact that NewEgg specifically stated "A-TW polarizer" also suggests that they received that false wording from DS. And now we have two conflicting statements about the A-TW polarizer from 2 DS reps on the 265W.

The more I think about this the less I want to buy from them.

Yeah, the dude I talked to said they come with polarizers from LG, but you're right. If Doublesight isn't sure when they do or don't have the polarizers, that's bad.

I wonder if some of the confusion results from the following:

To my understanding all TFT displays have two polarizers by design, one in front of the front sheet of glass and a second behind the second sheet of glass. The liquid crystals are sandwiched between the two sheets of glass. I would also assume that these polarizers are an integral part of the OEM panel. In other words, the polarizers used are chosen by AOC, Samsung, etc. I doubt that DoubleSight makes a decision to use a particular polarizer, although I suppose a third polarizer could be added in front of the OEM panel. I suspect that the variability in "white glow" that the DoubleSight displays seem to have may in fact be to random changes of polarizer material at the OEM factory. Hence, DoubleSight customer service reps are indeed clueless about what exactly "their" product contains.

Back