Dremel with all hardware still inside??

YahonMaizosz

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I am wondering if it would be alright for me to use my Dremel to cut a hole for my power supply cable to go to the back of my Coolermaster 690 without actually taking any hardware out of the case except for the power supply itself??:confused:

My plan is to take out the power supply from the case and then start to dremel the new hole, without taking out any other parts ( Motherboard, Graphic card, RAM, Hard Drive, CPU, Fans )... Then I would put back my power supply and route all the cables again.

Can someone please tell me if this is alright before I start drilling holes..

Thanks.:)

That is NOT a good idea.

In case you didn't get it, NOT NOT NOT NOT a good idea.

There will be a lot of little metal shavings and if you leave all your hardware in there, something is gonna get fried when you power it back on.

Yes, provided all the metal shavings are going outside the case. If they're going inside, or you're not very good with a dremel, I don't suggest doing it.

The only time I have ever done something like this is with a drill. I drilled a hole very slowly keeping all of the shavings in check.

You can't really do this with a dremel. Shit goes everywhere no matter how careful you are. Its a very bad idea.

Empty case. Period. Dremeling a case is actually fairly dangerous. It produces a lot of steel shavings and dust, and combined with the high frictional temperatures, the risk that the metal will catch fire is actually a concern. (Yes, many metals can actually burn when shaved). To think about that risk combined with the capacitors in a power supply is really scary, because worst case scenario, it could lead to an explosion.

Some safety guidelines I always follow when Dremeling a case:
1) Empty case
2) Squirt bottle around the area of the case you are dremeling, to dampen it and reduced dust kickoff. I usually set the case down on a damp towel to reduce the risk of fire, being aware that a dremel is an electric instrument.
3) Fire extinguisher nearby
4) Proper safety goggles (no point in having a pretty case if you can no longer see it)
5) Dust mask (IMPORTANT!) - Metal dust and the dust that comes off the abrasive dremel bit can cause very severe respiratory problems if inhaled. Some abrasive dusts are similar to asbestos.
6) Leather gloves. This one's a no-brainer.

Ok guys..

Thx for all the info.. It is clear now that I should TAKE OUT everything before I dremel my case..

Thanks again.. :)

Ok guys..

Thx for all the info.. It is clear now that I should TAKE OUT everything before I dremel my case..

Thanks again.. :)

I think you should setup a web camera and record yourself doing it with all of the components inside.

Then just post the video on YouTube, become famous, launch a marketing campaign based on your idiocy, and use the money to buy a better case with more powerful parts.

....or you could just take the parts out before you start.

I think you should setup a web camera and record yourself doing it with all of the components inside.

Then just post the video on YouTube, become famous, launch a marketing campaign based on your idiocy, and use the money to buy a better case with more powerful parts.

....or you could just take the parts out before you start.

If he is going to do that, he needs to leave the computer turned on when he does it. Then go on a huge rant about how the products he bought are crappy and how he is going to sue them.

Sounds like a half arsed, can't get out of the chair for the remote, lazy way of modding a case...Never modded a case myself (unless you include adding a fan to the side of a case), but I would recommend gutting the system out and work on an empty case.

Would be like cleaning a fuel tank by candle-light.

Not the best of ideas.

PS: Don't be lazy and in a hurry.;)

That is NOT a good idea.

In case you didn't get it, NOT NOT NOT NOT a good idea.

There will be a lot of little metal shavings and if you leave all your hardware in there, something is gonna get fried when you power it back on.

I'd say they are finer than simple metal shavings, it is more akin to metal DUST! :eek::D

your computer bits will not like you

Back