Dual Booting Win7 and Vista

snaggletooth

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys, I just installed the Windows 7 64-bit release candidate alongside my Vista partition. Everything went smoothly and I'm in the process of setting up Windows 7 specifically for gaming.

I'm having a weird problem with dual booting the two OS's that I didn't have when I was dual booting WinXP and Vista.

If I have the Win7 install DVD in the drive and my DVD drive selected as my primary boot device, I can skip the boot from DVD option and my system brings me to the proper selection screen for Win7 or Win Vista. Great. However, I don't want to have to do this. When I change my boot order back how I want it, HDD first, I don't get any option for my OS choice. It just boots automatically into Vista. Both Vista and 7 are on the same 500gb drive on seperate partitions, of course. Like I mentioned, everything works as it should when I have the actual Win7 install disc in the drive and the boot order set to try DVD first.

Any idea what's up here?

When you installed Windows 7, you must have given boot priority to the wrong hard drive. You should have placed the drive with Vista on it first in the list right after your optical drive. You probably had a data drive ahead and now your Windows 7 system partition is on it.
To confirm this do the following.

Run the Windows 7 disk manager.
See which one of your hard drives has your Windows 7 system partition on it. It is identified by "System".

Last edited:
Back