dual wan router recomendation

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
hey guys, one of our clients had a dual wan linksys router for the cable and dsl service (not load balance, just if one drops down). anyways just like all the other linksys products, it has taken a shit and keeps need to be restarted.

i am looking for a bit more business oriented dual wan router. i was looking at peplink models but are a bit to expensive, only one affordable is the entry level model.

looking for a premade product, no linux distro.

any recommendations?

Disclaimer: If you buy cheap/shoddy equipment, then you will get cheap/shoddy performance.

That being said, the only other "cheap" consumer dual-wan router I've seen is the equivalent D-Link version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127069

However, I would spend a little more and get something from Peplink, Cisco, or some other major brand if you want it to be reliable and last more than ~6 months.

Some alternatives @ Newegg

Cisco 1800
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833120005

Linksys RV016
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124154

If you want CHEAP and RELIABLE, then the other option in my experience has been rolling your own with pfsense or some other distro. I convinced my boss to ditch our $2k Sonicwall and replace it with a freebie P4 box running pfsense 1.2-RC2. We have it setup with our T1 and Comcast Cable line with no issues for the past several months.

We had a real POS router trying to load balance and it got so bad I ripped it out and installed a pfsense box, we get total sweet load balancing/ auto fail over now!

Don't know about the peplink models but the Linksys RV082 and RV016 are good small-business routers with dual-WAN capability.

fuck linksys products, every router or switch ive used over the years ive had to replace. the model in their now is the linksys dual wan.

Sorry to hear but the RV series has been good to a lot of people.

The Netgear Prosafe line of dual WAN routers aren't too bad either.

fuck linksys products, every router or switch ive used over the years ive had to replace. the model in their now is the linksys dual wan.

I have around 60+ of the RV0 series out there...very reliable product line. If you're cooking routers at that fast pace...I'd look at your setup, environment. Probably not plugged into an APC or something.

*shrugs*
I use the linksys RV series and I've never had a problem with them and I have 50mbit net connects that max out running into some. (use them at multiple locations)

dunno guys, and linksys wireless g router that ive installed for jobs years back have all had to be replaced from failures, all have been replaced by buffalo equipment. alot of switches and routers all linksys, all installed either on a APC surge or APC backups.

i am looking for something a little bit above linksys, no dlink, no netgear, something bit better.

this rv model that i have keeps dropping both connections and needs to be reset, hasn't proven reliable since day one, always had a problem swapping connections when one wan dropped out. not looking to continuing talking about linksys, i do not want to use any product from a home user company. .

so whats the next step up above linksys. i like that peplink model, i also see the freeguard 100 does it from freedom9 which i just got in the shop to try out. but i would spend around 500 for this. there has to be other brands.

Zyxel, Sonicwall or Cisco.

Regardless of who stamps their name on it, there will be duds. It's a simple fact of manufacturing and the design process. Engineer A says he thinks it should have 16MB or memory, Salesguy B says it will cost too much, Engineer A says he can make it work with 8MB of ram. The same happens in every company in the consumer/small-medium business segment. Combine that with the fact that assembly isn't an exact science either and you end up with bad runs, flawed designs and just duds in general.

Grab an old GX110/GX150 from Ebay and build a box with your favorite distro that supports dual-wan or be prepared to spend a lot more than you are now.

As for the peplink boxes? Like I said, I've never heard of them but they look very very basic as far as hardware is concerned. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the RV082/similar would out perform it, even with a small user-base.

Back