E5200 & Q8200 chips already on sale!!!

Interesting... The Newegg product page says that the e5200 has virtualization support.

Processors Type: Desktop
Series: Core 2 Duo
FSB: 800MHz
L2 Cache: 2MB
Manufacturing Tech: 45 nm
64 bit Support: Yes
Virtualization Technology Support: Yes
Voltage: 0.85V – 1.3625V
Model #: BX80571E5200
Item #: N82E16819116072

I didn't think Intel was offering virtualization support on sub $150 processors. Is Newegg's product page wrong?

4 GHz with a 7x multiplier is very very hard. I'd say it's pretty much impossible since you'd need a 571 FSB.

Yeah... Realistically speaking, whatever extra OC headroom the Q8200's have (over a Q6600) is just gonna go to waste on most systems since you'll be hitting your mobo's FSB limit... I mean, even at 3.4GHz you're already scratching 500 FSB, and that's about what you'd get out of a good Q6600 anyway.

Plus the Q8200's more expensive than the Q6600's anyway, meh. Now the E5200's seem like a nice successor to the E4xxx and E2xxx, 'specially at the price Newegg has it marked at... $90! That's what they had the E2200 for, and they've still got the slower E4600 at $120, heh. Same FSB, same cache, the E5200's faster/cooler and $30 less, good deal. :p

I haven't heard of people having much luck overclocking q6600s recently though. Maybe just me.

Newegg says my E5200 will be here on the 9th. I'll be putting it in an EVGA 680i SLI - should have plenty of fsb to get the most out of this chip. I think 12*333 will be my goal, but I'll be pretty happy at 3.6 GHz. Should hold me over until my next major upgrade (maybe when Nehalem is affordable).

Anyone know what the stock HSF is like on the e5200? I'm wondering if it's sufficent for a OC to 3.4 - 3.5.

Man, that Q8200 is just about useless as a budget overclocking chip. In order to do anything impressive with it you'd need ridiculous FSB speeds (for a quad). Achieving those speeds would require a very nice P35, P45, or X48 board which would negate any savings you'd get by getting the cheaper Q8200 in the first place.

Heh, don't burst his bubble!

It's almost the same when you're doing something such as video rendering.

It depends on the task. However, it's a bit silly to equate a multi-core CPU to a single-core CPU with the sum of the frequencies of all the cores.

Ordered a e5200 from newegg, will be here Wed. Can't wait to plant it into my Abit-P35 Pro! I should have a few numbers together to post up this weekend sometime...4ghz here I come! lol

Anyone know what the highest "safe" voltage is for these Wolfdale chips? I have seen people push them into the 1.5v range but that kinda scares me with these chips...opinions please?

Newegg says my E5200 will be here on the 9th. I'll be putting it in an EVGA 680i SLI - should have plenty of fsb to get the most out of this chip. I think 12*333 will be my goal, but I'll be pretty happy at 3.6 GHz. Should hold me over until my next major upgrade (maybe when Nehalem is affordable).

Doesn't the 680i not support 45nm?

i hear people doing 10*400 with , 1:1 ratio...

i hear people doing 10*400 with , 1:1 ratio...

My e5200 is fsb capped at 310. I would love to see where you're seeing people do 10x400 without an ES chip.

Using a P43 motherboard that can do 420+ and using PC6400 DDR2. Very disappointing FSB wall.

Even at 300FSB an E5200 is potentially capable of 3.75GHz, so I don't see what is so disappointing about 310FSB, since you'd be at 3.875GHz (which I know is not stable in your situation) but the FSB is hardly limiting your overclock.

FSB is heavily limiting system performance. Low FSB = low bandwidth = wasted pc6400+ memory /cry

How much does FSB affect Core2Duo performance? Does your motherboard offer memory dividers to use up more of the PC6400 potential?

You can use the divider to push up the RAM speed, but it won't make a significant difference.

How much does FSB affect Core2Duo performance?

Practically not at all. The difference between running a higher FSB with the RAM at a faster speed compared to running a lower FSB with slower RAM is small enough to have an extremely minimal effect on real-world performance.

Back