E6300 avg temp of 63 degrees C?

Baltazaar

n00b
Hiya all,

Just a bit of a noobie question, I installed an E6300 in an Asus P5N - E Sli MB and missed inserting 2 of the CPU heatsink pins properly, the thing felt solid but I was wrong, caused the CPU to overheat really fast and shut down the sytem after about 30secs.

I know, not good. But, I found the problem quickly and installed it properly (the heat transfer paste had only half melted down one side).

To see whether I had done much damage I thought to test the temperature of the CPU, using various temp gauging software and I get an avg temp of 60-65 degrees C, does that sound hot to anyone?

It does to me, as I hear most people talking of mid 40's.

Any help would be appreciated (oh, and the cores have a variance of up to 5 degrees between them, is that normal?).

What I kinda suspect is that I have to re-apply some of that thermal paste but I dont really know.

Cheers,
Balt

That is stock speed, under load is approaches 70 degrees.

So might I be right about having to replace the thermal paste?

Or would that not cause such in increase in temp?

Balt

Use CoreTemp to report your temps for consistency with other users.

Normal temperatures should look something like this:
Idle: 35C to 40C
Load: 50C to 60C while running Orthos

The C2D seems to run very reliably up to about 70C to 75C at full load when overclocking.

At Idle I run 3360 MHz at 1.425 volts and CoreTemp reports about 17C greater than room temperature with the Intel heatsink and fan in a large properly ventilated case.

You probably didn't hurt your CPU but you might need to redo the heatsink installation, preferably with something decent like some AS5.

Ok, thanks guys, that helps a lot, at least I am certain I have a problem now :eek: will check the seating again.

I know I keep on about it but do i need to replace the paste?

Cheers,
Balt

[edit] and I do use Core Temp, seemed the most directly reliable measure. [edit]

Ok, will do.

I am pleased to report temps of 41-44 degrees, thanks guys, you were right, the fan unit was still not sitting right, turns out one of the push-pins was fighting the alignment to the hole in the MB, turned it 90 degrees and it went in perfectly, not sure I like those push pins much but hey, its working now.

Appreciate the noobie help.

Cheers,
Balt

The LGA775 heatsink mounting clips are the worst things Intel has ever designed.

Using TAT or Coretemp (the results are the same for me)...I load in the mid 50's with folding@home running on each core. I have a e6300 overclocked to 2.3GHz.

Using TAT or Coretemp (the results are the same for me)...I load in the mid 50's with folding@home running on each core. I have a e6300 overclocked to 2.3GHz.

Only 2.3 ?

Back