E8400 Motherboard Recomendation (MSI P35 Platinum vs. Gigabyte GA-p35-DS3L)

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2142&page=13
MSI P35 Platinum with 504fsb. Thats not bad at all.

Between the two, which motherboard would you guys go with? I've read that the MSI is a bit harder to tweak though. Let me know what you guys think I want to invest in a pretty decent motherboard. I like's gigabyte's price and I like the MSI's rear connections.

I dont know maybe I should just go with what everyones buying because a lot of people also own the gigabyte and have been pleased with it from what I've read so far.

You're comparing Gigabyte's low end P35 with MSI's high end P35, lol. Figure out which features you need aside from overclockability. All P35 boards can OC well, the only issue is cooling the NB chipset and mosfets. If you want to reach higher than 425Mhz FSB SDR on a P35 board, you need good cooling. This means adding a 40mm or so fan to the NB heatsink on the DS3L, or changing it to something like the Thermalright HR-05(-SLI/IFX). Boards with heatpipes cooling the nb/mosfets won't need such changes made.

So... what features do you need in a mobo? (raid? firewire? 3 PCI slots? legacy ports?)

You're comparing Gigabyte's low end P35 with MSI's high end P35, lol. Figure out which features you need aside from overclockability. All P35 boards can OC well, the only issue is cooling the NB chipset and mosfets. If you want to reach higher than 425Mhz FSB SDR on a P35 board, you need good cooling. This means adding a 40mm or so fan to the NB heatsink on the DS3L, or changing it to something like the Thermalright HR-05(-SLI/IFX). Boards with heatpipes cooling the nb/mosfets won't need such changes made.

So... what features do you need in a mobo? (raid? firewire? 3 PCI slots? legacy ports?)

haha well none. i dont care for raid, i dont have any firewire devices, no pci cards or needof any legacy ports.

now you're probably wondering why the heck did i mention the high end MSI... well because they are the same price as the low end gigabyte. plus MSI has a really cool circus looking northbridge heat sink.

I'm going to do my broken record thing now.

Look at the DFI Blood Iron P35-TR2L.

6 SATA connections, RAID, all that stuff, tons and tons of OCing/tweaking options, and it's $100-120.

Of course, if you like the MSI and you can get it cheap, by all means, get it.

I'm going to do my broken record thing now.

Look at the DFI Blood Iron P35-TR2L.

6 SATA connections, RAID, all that stuff, tons and tons of OCing/tweaking options, and it's $100-120.

Of course, if you like the MSI and you can get it cheap, by all means, get it.

your suggestion was not overlooked. i'm also taking the bloodiron into consideration. Its actually on my top 3 list its just that the MSI which is a 150 dollar board can be picked up for 99 bucks. + it has a superior northbridge heatsink when compared to the others.

your suggestion was not overlooked. i'm also taking the bloodiron into consideration. Its actually on my top 3 list its just that the MSI which is a 150 dollar board can be picked up for 99 bucks. + it has a superior northbridge heatsink when compared to the others.

I didn't realize it was that cheap... go for it! ;)

Link please?

Back