E8400 Stock, Vista 64

Gazoo

Gawd
Well, I cant really seem to get either CPU-Z, CoreTemp, or TAT to work in Vista x64 (I saw the threads on how to do it), however I'm using HWMONITOR...

I'm using an Abit IP35-Pro, 4gb of OCZ SLI edition, E8400 and eVGA 8800 GTS g92

When I first booted up the chip was running at a speed of 1800 mhz, using a 9x multiplier, aren't these supposed to be 9.5? FSB at 200.

I set it manually to 3.04 ghz (333x9)

The temp report in uGuru or what not was showing some really low numbers (talking below 10)

Right now, only thing I found to report temps was HWMONITOR, it's showing these under abit UGuru tab:

Volts CPU Core 1.12 V
CPU Temp 20 deg C (this, during Orthos...) was at like 5 degrees earlier.

After that, under the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 tab I see:

Core 0 63 deg
Core 1 63 deg

I'm using a Tuniq Tower 120 w/ stock fan, don't have my tube of AS5 right now so just used the Tuniq TX-1 (edit) grease temporarily. Never really used it, but applied it by spreading it with a little plastic bag really thin, applying a tad more (I mean a tad) and spreading that with an exacto knife (no razer blades).

I'm contemplating just installing XP to bench this instead of this Vista x64 crap.

Anyone got any ideas? Should I update my BIOS?

If the second monitor is right its saying I'm idling at 50 degrees in a cold room at stock, which is worse than I used to do with a Tuniq and E6600 running 3.0 under load in a hot room.

no the e8500 has a multiplier of 9.5

oh and by the way the tuniq tx2 is suppose to be slightly better than the as5

Well, I'm at the latest BIOS revision. This is kind of creepy.. hm.

Oh and btw, my mistake, using TX-1, not 2.

Try using either Everest or Speedfan to at least see if you can get some consistency in numbers before completely blaming vista, with the Tuniq those temps are way too high.

Tried both, no dice.

I'm just going to make it easy on myself and install XP (or at least a 32-bit OS) during the OC stage, and wait till I can get my AS5 and sandpaper to lap the Tuniq, cause I have a feeling it's in bad shape (had odd marks over it, and center of the copper base looks like it's scratched up, almost black).

Right now I bumped voltage to 1.3050 and just gave it a measly push to 3.6ghz, doing about 60 degrees under load, not amazing by far, but this can do for now.

Oh and, my Vista disk got corrupted after I parted out the machine to check out the Tuniq, and reinstalled, right now instead of 2~ degrees it's 129 or something, was mighty scary hearing the Abit ip35 sing and scream the CPU alarm.

HWmonitor is the only one giving a (fairly) accurate word on temps.

The BIOS for he IP35 Pro doesn't report accurate temps for the E8400 yet - I'd say hang tight for a new BIOS rev first. Mine was reporting temps of 224C, and then 2C the next boot. Lots of threads around about the problem.

The latest BIOS (15) for the IP35-E finally reports the temps correctly on my E8400 so there is hope that a new pro bios will be out soon.

Back