Easiest platform to O/C ? Help a Noob.

Grackdor

n00b
Hi all. I'm planning to build a new rig real soon, and have been reading probably WAY too much.

Problem is I just can't decide on what platform to go with. I am a complete noob about overclocking, but it almost seems criminal to NOT o/c a high end set-up these days.

I am going back and forth between an i7 860, a Thuban 1090, and an i7 930.

I really like the fact that the first 2 use dual-channel memory, and lower priced motherboards. Another issue is heat. I already bought a case that apparently isn't the greatest for air-cooling (Obsidian 800D), so I will try to keep the heat build-up low.

My single biggest concern is the EASE of overclocking. Some of the stuff I've been reading just makes my head spin (messing with what seems like alot of voltage-type settings,etc.)

So, if some of you would be so kind as to share your knowledgable opinions with me : which platform would be the simpliest to get a modest ( 3.8 -ish) o/c with ? By simple I mean having to do the least amount of BIOS settings,experimenting with various settings,voltages,and fun stuff like that.

It seems to me (I could be WAY wrong) , that the 860 might need alot of work to get there.

It doesn't look like anything real game-changing is coming in the next few months, and I don't want to wait for Bulldozer or Sandy Bridge.

I know you probably need some more info to try and answer, so:

- Rig would be mostly for gaming, but probably also some minor HD home- video work in the near future.
- Upgrade cycle is years, I tend to hold on until it's obsolete, then build something high-end. Although if Gulftowns ever become cheap, or if the first Bulldozers were AM3, that *might* make me upgrade.
- Want to try a Corsair H50 in push/pull for a cooler, seems pretty neat.
- Really doubtful if ever go CF or SLI...... I usually buy whatever single ATi card is the best at the time. RAID doubtful too, just single SSD likely.

Sorry for the mini-novel. And I honestly am not just trying to start a "which is the better performer" type debate........ just for the ease of overclocking only.

Thanks for any advise or suggestions !

I think all of those pretty much oc in the same ballpark.

I would more try and build around which platform would suite you better.

For your upgrade cycle I would go with x58 and get a 920 or 930. Even if the next gen chips may or may not fit you can always drop in a gulftown down the road and that would last most people a while.

Last edited:
See my sig. Super easy 1GHz OC, no voltage change needed, and low temps.

I don't list my case and HSF, but they are both HI quality air.

yeah all of them are pretty easy to overclock.. the 1090T is probably the easiest since you only have to play with the cpu multiplier and cpu voltage.. with the i7 all you need to play with is the base clock, cpu voltage, and ram multiplier..

for your need either the 1090T or i7 930 are both good options.. unless you plan to run high end SLI or crossfire there is very little difference between the 1090T and i7 930..

going with the 1090T gives you more options then the i7 right now with the AMD 8x0 series chipset supporting up to 6 sata 6Gbps ports unlike intel which only supports up to 2.. also with the 1090T you have the option of going with the older AM2+ boards and using ddr2 if you already have plenty of ddr2 from your current system.. or going with the AM3 boards with ddr3 support..

the disadvantage with the socket LGA-1156 is that theres no future upgrade path.. while sure its cheap there will never be a hex-core processor released for it.. also socket 1366 will be phased out some time in late 2011/2012.. am3 will be phased out around the same time as well when the bulldozer is released which needs a completely new socket due to supporting quad channel ddr3(same reason for intel phasing out lga-1366)..

so it really comes down to how long you plan to use the system.. how much money you want to actually spend and what works best for you..

Money and upgrade path aside, 1090T will be the easiest to OC. If you're planning to get an H50 then heat is mostly a moot point.

Well anything other than a processor with an unlocked multiplier is going to be "complex." As others have recommended the 1090T Black edition. All of AMD's black edition processors have an unlocked multiplier; what that means is that instead of modifying the FSB, memory and hypertransport ratios, all you have to do is simply up the multiplier and voltage in most cases. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely easier, but there's nothing more satisfying in this hobby than getting a massive overclock after you've tweaked everything just perfect. I've got a 920 running @3.8 24/7 with 1.233 volts going to the chip. It might take a little to learn how to do it all correctly but it's well worth it.

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions,folks ! (And for making it easy for a noob to understand.)

So, going i7- 930 is sounding better to me now as a decent compromise of not too tough to o/c and some flexability for future upgrades.

Now, having said that, is there any particular X58 mobo with a reputation for being *easier* than most to o/c (with stability) to 3.8-ish ? And I seriously doubt I'll ever CrossFire or SLI, if that matters.
And, lastly..... any suggestions on a 6GB memory kit to go with it ?

Thanks so much again everyone.......it's almost time to go shopping .

I am a big fan of MSI motherboards, I have a p55-gd80 and it's a breeze to overclock, though of course it's a 1156 mobo. Asus makes stellar mainboards too but as said before I'm partial to MSI.

G Skill is a great brand of memory as well as Corsair. Can't really go wrong with either of those.

Most of the X58 boards are pretty easy to overclock. For someone looking for a simple 20% overclock the only settings you will need to mess with are the bclck, cpu voltage, qpi voltage, and memory frequency. Asus is what I recommend for someone looking to do a little bit of overclocking, but who doesn't want to be overwhelmed by the options. Asus also makes very solid boards with models fitting various needs and price ranges.

For RAM; Corsair and G. Skill generally have very few compatibility issues and they both make outstanding products.

<p>&lt;p&gt;I've been burned by msi a few times, the mobo's kept eating my PCI cards even after rma, but Asus kicks ass for simplicity and features, though gigabyte wins in features and quality in my book&lt;/p&gt;</p>
<p>&lt;p&gt;&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;&lt;i&gt;Posted via [H] Mobile Device&lt;/i&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/p&gt;</p>

I've also heard that the gigabyte boards are pretty user friendly when it comes to bios and OC'n.
i like the MSI's as well, also always had a soft spot for evga products. ymmv!

M$

If you have a MicroCenter in your area, or know someone who does, the i7 930 is $199. That is a FANTASTIC deal and will subsidize the LGA 1366 motherboard. For the RAM, pick you favorite manufacturer, just make sure you get 3x2gb (6gb) of DDR 3 1600 with a CAS of 7. It will run you 185 to 200 on NewEgg. The only manufacturer I avoid is OCZ. The company has fine support, but I've had too much difficulties with EVGA and Gigabyte motherboards.

Definitely go with the H50 for a HSF. I run my i7 920 at 4.2ghz and never break 72°C. With a push pull setup, you will easily defeat my temperatures.

Be warned, no one knows how much longer Intel will use LGA 1366. There is surely one more generation of processors that will use Intel's enthusiast socket, but its future is bleak.

For a video card, it is a hard decision. The 5870 is a much better value and offers very, very good performance. However, I believe the GTX 480 is more forward thinking, especially if you're going to keep the card for more than three years. Tesselation will take off and the GTX 480 does it faster.

Although you went with an AMAZING case, it sounds like you're on a limited budget for this build. Get the 5870 now, wait two years, and buy the new high end card. It rarely makes financial sense to go with the very top of the line video card or CPU.

Finally, I recommend an EVGA motherboard. I don't know how anyone can beat their support. Its truly top notch. They also have a very active forum for assistance with problems and sharing knowledge. This is invaluable for overclocking. They also use high quality components, like ASUS' and Gigabytes' high end boards, allowing you to achieve a higher / more stable OC. Unstable power regulation = lower OC.

overclocking is supereasy, unless it is not. don't fool yourself. Sometimes it is a real pain in the ass, and that can happen on any platform.

Back