Easiest way to get tv-out to hdtv?

Zlash

2[H]4U
I've got an ATI AIW 7500 and the tv out is lacking imo. It does have DVI and my TV does have DVI but I haven't messed with powerstrip enough to get that working. I have a Sony 36" KV-36HS500 for my TV so I have 2 component in's and DVI.

I was thinking maybe an ati 9600 with a component adapter would be the easiest way to get hdtv output?

DVI is going to be much higher quality than component output. Its a pain to get it all working right, but you only have to do it once ;)

The DVI on my 9800XT was very easy to set up, all I had to do was plug it in and off I went. The component adapter would also be a very easy way for you to get a better quality connection to your TV.

Powerstrip is very easy to set up if you need to use it and you can even find some timing already to go here. http://www.htpcnews.com/main.php?id=powerstrip_guide_1

Ok i'll give the DVI a shot before i look at buying something else.

CrimandEvil said:
Agreed, going from digital to analog is a major step back.

Many, if not most, HDTV's still convert from digital->analog once the signal's received via DVI. The only time it's not (theoretically) done is with an HDMI/HDCP interface, and then because it's a requirement of the spec.

skritch said:
Many, if not most, HDTV's still convert from digital->analog once the signal's received via DVI. The only time it's not (theoretically) done is with an HDMI/HDCP interface, and then because it's a requirement of the spec.

Eh with toshiba sets anyway, they have a little box just for hdmi, inside the tv, off the main board. All it does it convert the dvi to rgb ( even has the 3 shielded cables for it). So it still converts it to analog and feeds it to the tv, just bypassing the component rgb transcoder, before it goes to the proccessor. After that its treated like any other component siginal.

nightanole said:
Eh with toshiba sets anyway, they have a little box just for hdmi, inside the tv, off the main board. All it does it convert the dvi to rgb ( even has the 3 shielded cables for it). So it still converts it to analog and feeds it to the tv, just bypassing the component rgb transcoder, before it goes to the proccessor. After that its treated like any other component siginal.

On the lower end sets that is correct, most companies do that. A proper HDMI connection actually talks to your cable/sat box and does power management and other cool stuff, not to mention a better picture.

BillR said:
On the lower end sets that is correct, most companies do that. A proper HDMI connection actually talks to your cable/sat box and does power management and other cool stuff, not to mention a better picture.

Oh it does that too, i was just wining it doesnt stay digital to long. In all fairness the toshiba i was talking about won the hd shoot out in home theater mag last year. But on the 3-4 models ive worked on(toshiba, zenith, phillips), its just a break out box. A hdmi to vga converter basicly. It still talks to the sets ( some will even turn on whats hooked up to them, and shut them down) but i was expecting more bypasses before it got to the tubes, like component does vs svideo (non progressive). Hell i havent looked at the signals yet, for all i know the hdmi/dvi just gets converted to component and is fed into an extra input on the processor.

And again in all fairness. The toshibas colors do look alot better on dvi vs component on the hd boxes. Hell some wont sync to the component but will on the dvi port.

Back