EATX Case recommendations?

Phixzet

Limp Gawd
I'm having trouble finding a case should I end up buying a MB that requires full EATX. (LIke Asus ROG X399 board)

I really have four basic desires: (in order of importance)

1) Filters
2) Would prefer a place to mount an ENERMAX LIQTECH TR4 AIO cooler.
3) Only really need 1 external drive bay, but flexible.
4) Really don't want minimal internal drive bays (to free up room for cable routing, better airflow, etc... (Future water cooling components?)

I plan to really move to an all M.2 design, with any mass storage being in my NAS.

I really like the Enthoo Pro M case but while they list E-ATX - they list it with an asterisk which totally negates claiming E-ATX compatibility.

I guess I'm looking for an EATX case that is roomy without being huge, with dust filters.

Done some searching and having trouble finding some good solutions.

Thanks!

Boo.. I was going to recommend the Corsair 800D or 900D but they have copious drive bays.

I should add - if the drive bays are removable, then great.

It's just that how many times have we swore up a storm because we were trying to work inside a cramped case.

In this build I don't see any real need for internal drive bays and only one external for the DVD player.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of options in cases that will take an EATX but still be of an "open" design.

I'll be legit with you. I have the 800D and there is tons of space. The bays don't get in the way. Would it cramped with a custom setup? I definitely think it would.

It's big brother, the 900D, is considerably bigger so I imagine the space would be good to go.

Bays are not removable.

I agree - I like the Luxe as well - but it doesn't look like the HD cage infrastructure (lower 60% of the front part of the case)... Is completely removable?

If you like the Enthoo Pro M then why not just get the Enthoo Primo? Drive cages are removable and there is a lot of room for watercooling.

Yeah that's a nice case. A lot more than I wanted to spend, but I can splurge if needed. I'll research it a bit tomorrow.

Hopefully other options will present themselves. But that was a good catch. Thanks guys.

Edit: Oh wow 40 lbs and about 24" deep. Crap. I wanted large, not the size of an M1 Abrams. :)

Last edited:
Hello! Do you have price range in mind? CaseLabs makes exceptional cases, modular, easy to work in, aluminum, high quality and made in the USA, supported with parts/mods/options for a long time afterward etc... but the prices are on the higher side. They really don't have anything under $200 - but if you were looking at some of the high end Corsair, LianLi, Silverstone, or Phanteks models you'd probably get more for your money for CaseLabs, depending on what you value.

If it wasn't for that cooler I'd suggest their Bullet BH8 , but it can't fit 3x120mm sadly. Their Bullet series are a little less expensive and compact for their given footprint, with lots of good features - I'd venture that it may be one of the most compact EATX compliant cases and still easy to work in! Note that most ATX-sized CaseLabs cases can easily take EATX mobos on the standard motherboard tray, including those like the Asus Zenith Extreme. Most of them can also take "true EATX, dual CPU socket" boards too, but you just need to opt for SSI-EEB tray instead. Alas, the 3x120mm cooler means stepping up to the considerably more expensive Mercury and Magnum series; great features and way more modular (ie "FlexBays" and other configurations), but more expensive too. Do you all ready have the cooler or would you be willing to see about a 2x140mm option instead? Oh and regarding filters, the best of the best I've found are DEMCiflex (www.demcifilter.com) - its likely they'll have a kit for whatever case you choose!

If you didn't want to spend CaseLabs money, I'd look toward Fractal Design, Corsair, or Phanteks for some solid entries that may be more affordable.

Thanks Xaeos.

I could do over $200 if needed. Finding an EATX case that isn't obscenely huge, but open, and has filters...

Well, I mean if I find the "right" case, I could spend more money to NOT get such a huge case. My current case is about 20" deep, and due to where it is in my room, I don't want to go all that much deeper.

I think I just figured out the issue here... Having problems finding a decent EATX case because EATX isn't highly standard. It's up to like 13" wide, while the MB I'm most interested in is only 10.9.

So the MB doesn't need a true full "standard" EATX case, a "partial" one like Panteks would work - if only that case I referenced supported another 1/2" of width.

Another plug for CaseLabs and another interesting tidbit about their aluminum designs is that just like the old apple computers, the solid aluminum construction on mine really does act as a giant heatsink/ passive radiator.

My powder coating has also held up scratch free since I bought the thing years ago.

They are nice, that's for sure.

Six weeks for delivery though? And the cost is about 2x what I want to spend. I mean could I rationalize it, sure... As my last case is still in use 7 years later, and I can use it for other builds (mining?).

Tempting though. Wish they had something a little smaller, a bit more inexpensive.

I don't care about the aesthetics. It's purely function for me since this thing is kind of off in a corner.

The Fractal Design Define R6 may do it.

Overkill in that I'd "toss" all the internal drive bay claptrap. (Unless I change my mind and mount a traditional HD in there, which I'd prefer not to do at this point)

A little big, but at least the filter in the base seems to slide out forward, as opposed to many cases that are two part and the part on under the PS slides out to the rear, which kind of sucks if you have your PC against the wall.

Hopefully since I'm waiting to see what Nvidia comes out with in the next 2 months... We'll see new MB's that are ATX that serve my needs better. Then maybe I don't need a case at all.

Yeah that's a nice case. A lot more than I wanted to spend, but I can splurge if needed. I'll research it a bit tomorrow.

Hopefully other options will present themselves. But that was a good catch. Thanks guys.

Edit: Oh wow 40 lbs and about 24" deep. Crap. I wanted large, not the size of an M1 Abrams. :)
Abrams... LOL
It's tall too and many who use it put on a cart to increase airflow at the bottom making it even taller which puts in to question how many desk it will fit under so keep that in mind
For your research hit this thread up for the LUXE and PRIMO

I'm about to build the same setup, x399, 1920x enermax liqtech 360 AIO. I was torn between the Enthoo primo and the 750d. Although the Primo is a slightly better case I went with the 750d airflow edition as it was £90 cheaper (which paid for the nvme SSD for the OS). Lots of drive bays, of which all the 3.5inch are removable, space for the AIO up top and its not as heavy.

by "External Drive bay" do you mean a 5.25" bay?

There are plenty of cases that do everything else you want, but just lack a 5.25" Bay. EX: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv

Edit: Side note, if you want EATX and a 360mm rad... you're not going to find a "small but roomy" case that does that.

Thanks guys.

The Fractal Designs Define R6 is on order. That looks to take care of me - if Newegg actually gets them in close to when they were supposed to.

Oh and I decided to air cool, at least for now. Don't want to worry about liquid reliability, and the Noctua gets pretty close to liquid cooling.

Back