Edit XP Boot.ini to address 3GB?

Katotonic

Limp Gawd
Is this entirely necessary in order to utilize 4GB (3.2-3.5) of sys RAM? I came across some info for the Witcher that suggested I do this to maximize use of all available RAM, and here I thought this was something my system was doing automatically.

I have SP3 installed and I've heard that a correction has been made to properly identify how much RAM I have in my system, but unsure beyond this.

The correction made in SP3 is just cosmetic

About the switch on boot.ini, give this technet article a good reading :D

The correction made in SP3 is just cosmetic

About the switch on boot.ini, give this technet article a good reading :D

Realized it was superficial, thanks for the linkage. Looks as though it would be beneficial, but I've heard different schools of thought on this, I'll keep scouring but I haven't read any absolute evidence that suggests that this will properly utilize an extra 1GB RAM. (From 2GB to 3GB)

The /3G will allow certain applications (when they use the AWE extension API) to use 3 GB of address space instead of the normal 2 GB (but still you won't actually have more than 3.2-3.5 GB of physical memory at your disposal).
However, most applications don't support it, and it can also impact compatibility and stability. Some software/drivers don't play nice with the OS in /3G mode.

So really, the only way to use 4+ GB is to run a 64-bit OS.

For an app to make use of /3GB, it just needs to have a bit switched on. Many apps have this.

PAE is what you need to use all the RAM, but Microsoft has crippled its function in XP, so it is a no go.

The /3G will allow certain applications (when they use the AWE extension API) to use 3 GB of address space instead of the normal 2 GB (but still you won't actually have more than 3.2-3.5 GB of physical memory at your disposal).
However, most applications don't support it, and it can also impact compatibility and stability. Some software/drivers don't play nice with the OS in /3G mode.

So really, the only way to use 4+ GB is to run a 64-bit OS.

Sounds like it's not worth it from the info you provided, but I already have 4GB and Ive been hearing from gamers that certain apps. like the Witcher benefit from this...I'm wondering if others like Crysis and STALKER will as well.

For an app to make use of /3GB, it just needs to have a bit switched on. Many apps have this.

PAE is what you need to use all the RAM, but Microsoft has crippled its function in XP, so it is a no go.

Heard about PAE as well, thanks for the straightforward answer on that, I'll leave it alone. In all honesty the only apps I want to take advantage of the extra RAM are games....do you know if enough support it to justify making the adjustments?

Edit: After some extensive searches I think I have my answer, looks like the switch is more or less compatible with XP professional and NOT XP Home, which is what I'm on. The PAE is messed up and should be left alone. Even on XP Pro it looks like it can actual cause some apps to slow down and instability as well.

If anyone is interested here is the link to the post that I grabbed my info from, the last post is particularly informative, figure it might help somebody else coming across this thread.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/274199-old-4gb-pae-thing.html

I don't recommend using it.

I did it for SupCom and it worked a charm for that game, but every other game had issues with it usually in a random crash to desktop with a generic memory error, games include CSS, TF2 and Spore

This was on XP Pro, 4x1GB (not OCed)

Removing the /3G switch and I do not have the crashing anymore.

Also I believe it was due to me using a modded executable for SupCom to take advantage of the 3GB switch and is probably the reason why it runs great with no problem for that game. The other games I believe are limited to 2GB max as is normal on WinXP

I don't recommend using it.

I did it for SupCom and it worked a charm for that game, but every other game had issues with it usually in a random crash to desktop with a generic memory error, games include CSS, TF2 and Spore

This was on XP Pro, 4x1GB (not OCed)

Removing the /3G switch and I do not have the crashing anymore.

Also I believe it was due to me using a modded executable for SupCom to take advantage of the 3GB switch and is probably the reason why it runs great with no problem for that game. The other games I believe are limited to 2GB max as is normal on WinXP

That's pretty much where I'm at right now, sounds like your experiences would probably play at for me, if I was lucky...I'm on XP Home which is problematic for this solution.

I take it your the same LuckyNV from FM, you've advised me once under my FM account "katoinc" and were spot on, so I'll take a pass on this one.

Some games do have the header to allow more than 2GB of address space. As LuckyNV said, SupCom works better after setting the "IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE" header yourself using the 3GB enabler. And as a result of positive feedback, I believe the latest patch for the game comes with it enabled by default.

You can also use that package to check on or set the header on other exe's, but in reality you shouldn't have to set this yourself unless the game has large memory leaks. Most games that can use more than 2GB come with it already enabled.

Back