Editing PC - Budget $2,500

Bambi

I Cleaned My Room - And I am a Dude
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Heavy graphics and video editing, Photoshop / Lightroom, Video Editing, After effects

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$2,500. Prime member so shipping may be included. Kind of want space for an IPS monitor.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Houston, Texas

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, SSD, HDD, CPU, MB, RAM, Power Supply, Video Card

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
none

6) Will you be overclocking?
No

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

Whatever works for video editing and is a good quality colors

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next month

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Raid, plenty of space for ram 16+gb

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

I have access to Windows 7 and 8 Professional x64

Thanks for the help :)

hmm im guessing Raid 1 since i could have a back up of work although since its mainly for storage, i guess the raid is not necessary.

Not trying to be discouraging here, but sharing my experience and thoughts, seeing that you want a rig for video editing using professional software such as Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro.

See my signature for my specs. See that? Think that's high-end? Wrong. It's a joke when it comes to rendering in Adobe After Effects/Premiere Pro. :eek:

However, it may have something to do with Adobe After Effects/Premiere Pro not supporting OpenCL for AMD yet. I do not know how much of a difference it makes to use an NVIDIA card with CUDA vs an AMD card. There was an article 2-3 weeks ago about how Adobe is working with AMD to bring OpenCL GPU support to Adobe AE & PP. You should probably aim for an NVIDIA card for now, and that nobody would be able to say you're having poor performance issues because of using AMD GPU and not having CUDA etcetera.

I have tried working on only my SSD (and cache to SSD) to cross out performance issues in the storage/scratchdisk sector of things, and it has made no difference in rendering performance. As long as you get an SSD, you can most definitely rule out storage as being a bottleneck, but SSD costs more $/GB and depending on what data and materials you work with you may have to choose higher capacity 7.2k or 10k drives in RAID. I can definitely say with certainty that a 128GB SSD would NOT be enough; minimum of 512GB (single SSD) if you want to go the SSD-only route.

On what I have for rendering any length of 1080p30 (and very closely followed by 720p30), I get a rendering framerate less than 3 fps, usually around 0.5 to 1.2 fps after a few minutes in.

Comparing this to working with AViSynth, MeGUI, and x264 directly -- I get rendering framerates in the hundreds for a triple-pass encode. I think part of what might explain this is perhaps that Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro look at video content from a 3D perspective, whereas AViSynth + x264 see it from a 2D perspective, and Adobe has to convert a 3D image into 2D frame-by-frame (plus all the analysis that has to be done!). I think even what would be considered low-end is probably a very small cluster of 2-3 servers each with i7-3930k equivalents -- my machine wouldn't even make it to the charts. Also, I do not know what the performance is like when using a program like Sony Vegas or other (there is one that comes to mind but I forgot what its name is).

I really do need to get a larger SSD though (but that did not have anything to do with extremely "poor" rendering framerates in Adobe AE/PP).

Last edited:
Well i was thinking of sticking with a 680 gtx since the (cuda) mercury rendering was unlocked. I was looking into the quattros but after reading the adobe forums, they said the price increase was not worth it and go with the GTX.

hmm im guessing Raid 1 since i could have a back up of work although since its mainly for storage, i guess the raid is not necessary.

RAID 1 is not a substitute for backup.

Well I was going to comment on this because someone assumed that RAID 1 could never be used as a backup.

You see, RAID by itself is not a suitable backup, but RAID CAN be a backup OF backups.

As long as the data on the RAID array is data intended to be used as backup, IE: You specifically placed it there, with intentions to back it up. This provides data protection should a drive fail, you'll still have that data on other drive(s), but using RAID as the only source of backup can't provide backup for corrupt files, since if it's corrupted on one disk, it'll be corrupt on them all. Thus, as long as you're copying data to the RAID array, you're fine.

Since I see you intend to use an SSD, I can only assume this will be the primary drive and you'll use the RAID array to backup that SSD. Am I correct in that assumption?

Well i was thinking of sticking with a 680 gtx since the (cuda) mercury rendering was unlocked. I was looking into the quattros but after reading the adobe forums, they said the price increase was not worth it and go with the GTX.
Also, if you ever look into that kind of stuff, always lookup reviews to see if the Quadro is actually worth it. I think in most scenarios its just a scam, plus you can get a more powerful can and hack it to behave like a Quadro. :\

Take a look at http://www.loopoutcontinue.com/2012/08/benchmarking-cuda-performance-in-after-effects-cs6/ for raytrace render benchmarks in Adobe AE.

Also have a read of the posts at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5258800 regarding the use of Quadro vs regular gaming card for Adobe AE.

Back