Everex XT5000T Support thread

Sigh... I put the laptop to sleep, and on wakeup the wifi is gone again. Restarted, still gone. Shut it down to take it with me and when I started it again it's back. Crazy.

Damn quircky machines. The Atheros card did that to me all the time. Then went to one of the 4965's and I constantly got the Black Screen Fan on Full also known as BSFF. When I lucked across the MSI card all issues disappeared. I never used sleep or hibernate on mine though. So far the son-in-law that has it now has not reported any issues out of the MSI card either. One thing I have had to do though is take the fan apart and give it a shot of oil about every 6 months. One more month and the machine will be 3yrs old, cannot believe it has lasted that long compared to what some have gone thru.

Yeah, mine turns 3 in June I think. I too am surprised it's still kicking, barely tho. I'm just gonna keep using it till it finally gives up the ghost and then get something else.

*Snip*Long story short, I found Arndt Computer Repair in the St. Louis area. http://www.arndtcomputer.com/laptops.php *snip* had reflowed it and gotten it to boot *snip* everything was working OK. Hard to find service like that anymore.

Well I sent it off to them and for $185 they re-flowed my GPU and IT LIVES AGAIN!
Much cheaper than what Fry's and other shops in the Dallas area wanted.

Though it took me about 3 weeks to ship it and get it back..
I was without my trusty laptop for almost a month :(

But it's back and kicking even better :D

And mine just died :(

Alas poor Everex, I knew thee well...

RIP

You had a good run and we grieve your loss. All hail to the Everex. May we bow our heads for Taps to play..........For O some many years I had to listen to that every night @ 10pm. A fitting tribute.

What do you have your sights on as a replacement??????

Last edited:
Another Everex XT5000T owner, reporting in :D

Mine's still kicking, though it desperately needs a new battery. The one it has now only lasts about 45 minutes, when it used to last over 3 hours.

I recently took my laptop apart and put it together again, but now my sound jacks, volume turner thingy doesnt work now. Anyone have any idea which wires or connections i missed? They were working before.

It seems that my love-hate relationship with my Everex XT5000T has finally come to an end. Bandito (my laptop's name, after my pet turtle) worked like a champ for the first year and a half. Beautiful screen, nice for (2006-era) gaming and movies, it earned a coveted spot on my coffee table and I traveled with it frequently. I was extremely happy with my purchase, and times were good.

Around May of 2008, the wireless card started having problems. At first, rebooting would usually cause the laptop to recognize the Atheros card again, but after a few weeks the problem started to get worse. I considered either buying an external wireless card or snaking an ethernet cable across my living room, but decided instead to make use of my SquareTrade warranty which I had bought. I sent it in, and 6 weeks later got it back with the wireless card working again. Life was good for 2 more months until the wireless card went on the fritz yet again. 6 more laptop-less weeks and another round-trip to SquareTrade later, I got it back yet again. This time they supposedly replaced the motherboard, and that seemed to fix all of the wireless card problems.

Things were good for another 6 months until 2 weeks ago when I hit the dreaded blank-screen-but-fan-running-on-startup issue. Reading through this awesome thread, I learned that it was likely an issue with the solder that connects the GPU. I was briefly tempted to try baking my motherboard after reading some success stories, but decided it would be wiser to make use of my 3-year warranty one more time before it expired. I sent it in, along with a link to this and other threads describing the common GPU problem with this model. A few days later, I got a response saying that after looking at it they determined that it would be more cost effective for them to reimburse me the $460 difference on the warranty.

I was a bit sad to see my Everex go, but needless to say I'm EXTREMELY happy that I bought that warranty, the proceeds from which have gone towards a replacement Samsung R780 laptop. This thread was indispensable for recommending hardware upgrades and settings when I first got my Everex, and for troubleshooting it later down the road, and I'd like to convey my sincere thanks to everyone here.

/pours one out for my poor XT5000T

Another one bites the dust, I guess. My XT5300T seems to have died during the night. I get nothing on the screen or when I connect it to my TV (which used to work great). When I turn it on, I get the following results:

1. Fan on full speed forever
2. Random results regarding num lock, caps lock, etc. lighting solid.
3. HDD light flashes once per second.
4. CD Drive light flashes once per second.
5. CD Drive won't open with the button.
6. Wireless switch still causes indicator to come on and off when it's switched.

I tried removing either stick of RAM alternately and many hard resets and holding the power button after starting it to try to interupt POST. I even tried leaving the power and battery unplugged for several hours. Anything else I can try? Should I bake it as suggested here?

Any leads on a good replacement similar in design and price, but better dependability?

After Bing, it's $700 shipped, no tax or shipping for me. I'm so close to pulling the trigger. The 3 year warrany sure is attractive given the 2 year life of the Everex...

thats not bad but you can get a dell with 4570 graphics and an i7 in a 15.6 inch chassis for just a lil bit more. thats a quadcore :D

You had a good run and we grieve your loss. All hail to the Everex. May we bow our heads for Taps to play..........For O some many years I had to listen to that every night @ 10pm. A fitting tribute.

What do you have your sights on as a replacement??????

Dunno at this point. I don't travel much anymore and really don't need a laptop for daily use. For the last 2 years it's been used as more of a adjunct computer I can take from the living room to the bedroom, mostly for web browsing and stuff while on the couch. I'm moving next week and due to the layout of the new place I won't even need it for that.

So I'm thinking I might hold out a few months and see what develops on the tablet front. No way in hell I'd ever get a maxiPad, I want a real computer, but the idea of a tablet intrigues me. I'm keeping a keen eye on the HP Slate. It's just soooo purty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeDalRBjyJo&feature=player_embedded

Dunno at this point. I don't travel much anymore and really don't need a laptop for daily use. For the last 2 years it's been used as more of a adjunct computer I can take from the living room to the bedroom, mostly for web browsing and stuff while on the couch. I'm moving next week and due to the layout of the new place I won't even need it for that.

So I'm thinking I might hold out a few months and see what develops on the tablet front. No way in hell I'd ever get a maxiPad, I want a real computer, but the idea of a tablet intrigues me. I'm keeping a keen eye on the HP Slate. It's just soooo purty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeDalRBjyJo&feature=player_embedded

Here's a pretty hot deal on one: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1963700&p=28884792&highlight=notebook#post28884792

Edit: Woops, that's not a Slate! It's an HP with a touchscreen though. :)

I tried the 1.1D bios and yes it does indeed keep the fan on but it never will get to the highest speed. So when running Prime 95 or rendering 3d after about 5 minutes I get thermal throttling on the cpu when the cpu reaches about 83C. I like the idea of the fan always on but it looks like bios also has to cutoff the high speed option as well. Only time the fan is at high speed is when you first turn on the laptop, after bios posts it goes down to the next speed which is the highest speed that it will go up to. I couldn't get the SpeedFan program to control the fan speed and looks like the APCI fan control is all done by the bios. So do I revert back to 1.1A or keep 1.1D?

Now the GPU temperature is way out there, 69c when it is running at 100hz!, it doesn't seem to go up much further when at 450hz so not sure what to make of that.

This laptop is 3 years old and has been rarely used in that three years so I think I have some lifespan left. I do like it except for the problematic future it holds, plus I will be using it in a rather hot environment at work. Now if anyone has any experience with the 1.1D bios and found a way to get the high speed fan to work please let me know, would sure appreciate that. Has anyone done this manually with the fan and using a variable resistor or pot?

I was thinking of putting in a TL-60 X2, .65nm version which should run cooler if undervolted but the GPU tempertures I don't see much options there. Memory wise I am at 267mhz with 2gb and was thinking of getting DDR 800 to go along with the TL-60 so that it could run at 400hz, once again 2gb. Plus a laptop cooler.

My other option is to use it until it quites when ever that will be. It still has a beatifull and bright screen for a 3 year old laptop and everything works on it. I can even play Left 4 Dead on it smoothly which astonished me and my buddy. This is about as close to a perfect laptop for the money at the time except for the one fatal exception of GPU overheating.

Good Grief! First time I've seen it, hard time booting up. The symptoms reported about GPU. Well I guess I answered my own questions then. Looks like it is time for me to get a new laptop. Now this happening two days after I loaded 1.1D bios has me wondering if related or it was time for this laptop to fail :mad:. This laptop was not even used that much, like it had a failure time clock attached.

Is anyone selling replacement motherboards for this laptop as a side note? If cheap enough I may go that route and deferr buying now a new laptop, hmmmm.

Yikes, this is starting to remind me of when Dreamcast's started dropping like fly's a while back. Makes me wonder how long my XT5000T has left...or if it'll be one of the lucky units to survive...

Anyone with a recently-deceased XT5000T happen to have a good battery on hand that they'd like to sell? The battery that came with mine isn't lasting very long anymore.

Well my battery is good but I am not giving up on it yet. I almost can't believe this, oblivious to problem, read about it and wam-mo get it. Been eyeing a Radeon 5650 powered laptop on NewEgg. I need to have a laptop in the end.

Looks like another one might have bit the dust. Getting the black screen fan on full system. Power light and wireless light are lit,fans runs at max, hard drive flickers once and thats it. Never gets to BIOS. I am going to try a few more things. If those don't work I will take it apart and try to bake the MB.

Feel kind of bad because I had passed it down to the Son in Law approx 2 yrs ago and he really liked it. :(

Purchased April 2007, almost 3yrs to the date

Last edited:
Looks like another one might have bit the dust. Getting the black screen fan on full system. Power light and wireless light are lit,fans runs at max, hard drive flickers once and thats it. Never gets to BIOS. I am going to try a few more things. If those don't work I will take it apart and try to bake the MB.

Feel kind of bad because I had passed it down to the Son in Law approx 2 yrs ago and he really liked it. :(

Purchased April 2007, almost 3yrs to the date

This is why I haven't passed mine down. It seems that at some point they will die. I can't hand it down in good faith knowing it is a machine destined to fail.

This is why I haven't passed mine down. It seems that at some point they will die. I can't hand it down in good faith knowing it is a machine destined to fail.

The good thing there is that I fully explained the failure rate to him, he takes things pretty good also.

The good thing there is that I fully explained the failure rate to him, he takes things pretty good also.

I'd do the same but I raided two 160GB 7200 drives. If the machine fails there would be no way to retrieve the data. I'd have to break the Raid0 first etc. Guess I'm too lazy knowing the machine will die at some point.

If it all works out I guess I'll be the first to do a 5000 to 5300 conversion.

Good tip on the targus bricks, and yep I did buy one of the 180w targus ps as well as Tanware and others, luckily they are not listed as a recalled model. The 180's were part # PA-1181-08.

PS does anyone remember how to force flash the Fuji BIOS's?

Last edited:
Good to know you guys weren't affected by the recall.

And Andy, I don't remember the force flash option, and all my old files are stuck on the dead laptop. It is one of the command line options. Too bad the old Everex forums are gone.

I seem to remember something about how the Amilo bios updater that runs in Windows had an advanced section where you could check force flash. Might be worth giving it a looksee.

Well no 5000 to 5300 conversion, got out bid, and right at the last minute. Price got drove to 120 + 15 ship. Almost at reballing cost.

Don't know if the 5300 conversion is a good idea or not. The reason is the 5300's 8600Go was suppsoed to be the card version with the major issues. Wierd though the 5000's and the 7600Go were then ones dying readily...................

I've got my dead 5300 sitting here if anyone wants to make me an offer. Worked perfectly until it died. Now when you turn it on, the HDD activity lite blinks slowly, as does the activity LED on the optical. No POST and nothing on the screen. It's got 4GB of Crucial DDR2-800 installed. I'll include the OEM stick too. $75 shipped after I pull the HDD?

Don't know if the 5300 conversion is a good idea or not. The reason is the 5300's 8600Go was suppsoed to be the card version with the major issues. Wierd though the 5000's and the 7600Go were then ones dying readily...................

a whole bunch of nvidia laptop and desktop cards have the issue, not just the 8600go

Back