Everex XT5000T Support thread

thanks mobilecommand. no more yellow things in device manager :)

whoa those are some toasty temps! :eek:

So for those of you who have installed WinXP 32-bit, are there any drivers you would suggest using beside the ones on the Everex page?

I'm using Windows XP 32bit. I tested newer video and chipset drivers. I either found no improvement or in some cases a drop in performance with newer drivers. Mostly 100 series video drivers were slower. After spending an entire day trying different drivers, I finally gave up and went back to the drivers from the Everex website. Seems to work the best for me.

Lame.

So I just recently ordered an Asus G1 from newegg and tonight I learned about the everex xt5000t.

Although I love the G1, the everex just seems so much smarter financially. Overclocked I should be able to best the 7700go even according to the 3dmark scores I've seen in this post. I can max out the hard drive, ram, and even drop in a TL-60 and I think I'd still be under 1.4k; the G1 cost me a little over 1.7k open box.

Should I just return the G1 and pick up an Everex?

We are all kinda biased here about the Everex. I've bought 2 personally. I've yet to see a single person say anything REALLY bad about the unit (other than some lame keyboard layout desisions)

T

Lame.

So I just recently ordered an Asus G1 from newegg and tonight I learned about the everex xt5000t.

Although I love the G1, the everex just seems so much smarter financially. Overclocked I should be able to best the 7700go even according to the 3dmark scores I've seen in this post. I can max out the hard drive, ram, and even drop in a TL-60 and I think I'd still be under 1.4k; the G1 cost me a little over 1.7k open box.

Should I just return the G1 and pick up an Everex?

yes? :p :D

sigh... ok looks like I will pull the trigger as soon as I get that ebay $30 coupon!

Hope it's still around in 6 hours, don't tell anyone to order it!

xp 32 bit sp2. :)

now, pics of the vx revolution! sweet mouse :)

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

sweet little mouse :D

I'm using Windows XP 32bit. I tested newer video and chipset drivers. I either found no improvement or in some cases a drop in performance with newer drivers. Mostly 100 series video drivers were slower. After spending an entire day trying different drivers, I finally gave up and went back to the drivers from the Everex website. Seems to work the best for me.

Great feedback! Thanks for the info!

Also, if anyone is looking to sell the 1GB memory module that came with their XT5000T, shoot me a PM.

edit: Ignore that. With the $115 for 2x1GB from newegg right now, I ordered that instead.

Okay guys. I completely and utterly voided my warranty and took my Everex apart and removed the motherboard.

The video card is absolutely not upgradeable. The GPU is solder directly into the motherboard.

Also the thermal pad between the heatsink and GPU is pretty weak. It didn't have good contact to either the heatsink nor chip, just kinda fell off after the heatsink was removed. I figure some Arctic Silver 5 will help a lot here. In a way I was happy to see this, it gave my laptop disassembly some purpose and some hope I can lower that GPU temp and maybe even overclock it a bit more. We'll see in a bit.

I also noticed a hidden USB port. It is below the visible USB port closest to the LCD panel. I suppose with a little mod, this can be exposed and use (haven't tested if it actually works, might later).

Here are a few pictures.

everex02.jpg

everex03.jpg

everex04.jpg

everex05.jpg

Ravynmagi,

AMD Chip soldered on? Can we upgrade it?

Kudos for having the balls to do this...thanks.

i can't tell where the hidden usb is. can you take another pic and circle it?

EDIT: i see it. you had that section upside down, and i had to look at my lappy's dvi ports to figure it out :p :D.

let me know if it works! i may try to make it visible too :)

Ravynmagi,

AMD Chip soldered on? Can we upgrade it?

Kudos for having the balls to do this...thanks.

It is in a standard AMD S1 socket. You can see it in the upper right corner of the 3rd image. So that is upgradeable.

Yeah, my co-workers were looking at me like I was nuts today, disassembling a brand new laptop. They kept asking "why?". Because I can! :p

It is in a standard AMD S1 socket. You can see it in the upper right corner of the 3rd image. So that is upgradeable.

Yeah, my co-workers were looking at me like I was nuts today, disassembling a brand new laptop. They kept asking "why?". Because I can! :p

i disasemmbled my creative speakers :D

ps did u check your pm's? was that ok? :)

Very nice, you rock! It's bizarre that the extra USB is *physically* there but not exposed. I can't imagine why they did that, LOL. Have you been able to verify whether or not it is functional? Also, any idea if there are full fldged A64 X2's that'll work in this socket?

Very nice, you rock! It's bizarre that the extra USB is *physically* there but not exposed. I can't imagine why they did that, LOL. Have you been able to verify whether or not it is functional? Also, any idea if there are full fldged A64 X2's that'll work in this socket?

Haven't tested the extra USB yet. Had to run out to the store to get some AS5 since I have none with me at work. Of course Fry's was out. Grrr.. I'll use Ceramique instead, shouldn't make too much of a difference.

A full sized Athlon CPU won't fit. The S1 socket looks about half the size of 939 or AM2 socket. You'd have to upgrade with another AMD Turion.

Haven't tested the extra USB yet. Had to run out to the store to get some AS5 since I have none with me at work. Of course Fry's was out. Grrr.. I'll use Ceramique instead, shouldn't make too much of a difference.

A full sized Athlon CPU won't fit. The S1 socket looks about half the size of 939 or AM2 socket. You'd have to upgrade with another AMD Turion.

Good work for dare open up your lappy, I wonder what about cd/dvd player upgradeable ?

what temp monitor you are using ? I tried Ntune and it not good working order.

Let me us know how things go after you put some thermal paste and see how temp go well.

phatbx133

Good work for dare open up your lappy, I wonder what about cd/dvd player upgradeable ?

what temp monitor you are using ? I tried Ntune and it not good working order.

Let me us know how things go after you put some thermal paste and see how temp go well.

phatbx133

Oh yeah, I was gonna ask about this too. Anyone have any luck finding out if the DVDRW is swappable? I don't think so because it's got that strange tray shap (dammit, why couldn't they have done stock!), but who knows, maybe there's one out there somewhere with the same shape. I want Lightscribe :)

Wow, I ordered my Everex a little after 7pm on Friday night and had it Monday afternoon! Booted it up and got it connected to my wireless network but havn't had much time for anything else. I prob won't get to play with it until after next weeks finals.

Wow, I ordered my Everex a little after 7pm on Friday night and had it Monday afternoon! Booted it up and got it connected to my wireless network but havn't had much time for anything else. I prob won't get to play with it until after next weeks finals.

ok, this is it, im going to go aggro on officemax's ass :mad: . been waiting close to 12 days and i still havent recieved my laptop or any new information. this its just ridiculous. i swear, officemax must have monkies for employees. i feel bad for however is going to pick up my call tomorrow.

OFFICEMAX, YOU SUCK

Hi guys,

I wonder what games are you playing now with your new lappy ?

I am currently play Titan Quest with no cd, run 1024x768 everything high, but shadow and reflect to low, ver sync off, very playable, man...I stay up so late...keep playing for about 4 hours straight...sure lappy run so hot...start little choppy so i stop the game. will play TQ later.

Need new lappy cooler might help, anyone who own and kind of brand recommend ?

I know I still need 1GB more to pop in make 2GB better performance.

Anyone still have A-Data 1GB ?

PM me for 1GB thanks,
phatbx133

Oh yeah, I was gonna ask about this too. Anyone have any luck finding out if the DVDRW is swappable? I don't think so because it's got that strange tray shap (dammit, why couldn't they have done stock!), but who knows, maybe there's one out there somewhere with the same shape. I want Lightscribe :)

Solution to buy USB 2.0 external DVDRW with lightscribe, like to get one someday for me.
I think dvdrw can be replacement only at Everex I am not sure. what if dvdrw broke ? can it replacement ? I will be damned.

phatbx133

I used the $30 coupon. :)

Seriously? You guys are really still trying to figure this one out?

You do realize that different states have different tax rates, right? So my guess is matrix563 lives in a state with ~5% tax and MrSneis lives in a state with ~8% tax. There, problem solved. Game on!

Seriously? You guys are really still trying to figure this one out?

You do realize that different states have different tax rates, right? So my guess is matrix563 lives in a state with ~5% tax and MrSneis lives in a state with ~8% tax. There, problem solved. Game on!

lol i already figured that out. :p :D

well guys, i finally talked to the right tech support!
to get raid...you need an updated bios
theres one out there and everex doesnt officially support it
but they're techs know people have succesffully implinented it..and they want me to call them back so i can provide them a walkthrough for future refference..after i figure it out

im off to discover :D

*update*

couldnt find it :( - current bios is 1.1a-4426-8a20

well guys, i finally talked to the right tech support!
to get raid...you need an updated bios
theres one out there and everex doesnt officially support it
but they're techs know people have succesffully implinented it..and they want me to call them back so i can provide them a walkthrough for future refference..after i figure it out

im off to discover :D

*update*

couldnt find it :( - current bios is 1.1a-4426-8a20

have you tried looking one for the Amilo Xa 1526. they are exactly the same laptop, just sold in different countries under a different brand

Okay, to follow up from earlier when I removed my motherboard...

Ran into a problem! The Arctic Silver on the GPU did not work Temps started going up pretty high. I shut down the laptop and disassembled it again. I discovered the heatsink was not making good contact with the GPU. Also the heat pipes that connect between the GPU heatsink and CPU heatsink were not contacting each other well either, where I had also removed the thermal pad and put Arctic Silver.

It turns out that I really need those thicker thermal pads to help everything stay in contact and working. Guess I should have seen that. Anyway, I was able to put those pads back in place and put the laptop back together. Temps back to what they were before.

To answer a question about the DVD burner. It looks upgradeable to me. I looked at the slim DVD burners on NewEgg and they appear identical in shape and IDE connection as what I have.

I'll post a few more pics. I apologize, it's only a camera phone, so not good quality.

ev-dvd.jpg

Looks like a standard slim DVD burner.

ev-bot-sid.jpg

This is a side view of the motherboard upside down. I found an extra USB port. However after testing it out, it does not do anything. Odd.

ev-bot.jpg

Here is the entire bottom side of the motherboard.

ev-top.jpg

Here is the top side.

ev-ver.jpg

Looks like the model and version number on the top.

Rav... you Sir are a mad man! /grin Thanks for showing us whats in there and the info on the Artic 5.. was honestly going to get some before work tomorrow... saved me a bunch of headache! /salute

T

Rav,
Nice work !, I wonder is there some sell good quality thick thermal pad somewhere ?

Me think everex really smart move put all in one solution low cost, plus few upgradeable that is good thing.

phatbx133

Back