Everex XT5000T Support thread

hey hi i have purshase one of this awesome machine and i hope it get here by wednesday, so im upgrading to 2gig of ram but i want to know if this kingston 1 gb pc5300sodimms are dual channel enable because they r in sale for $43 so this is the Manufacturer Part Number: KVR667D2S51G so if anyone can tell me if they r dual channel enable
thanks

^^^^^^^ i assume you got yours at tigerdirect.com, right?

and i think all ram can do dual channel

no i havent purshase the mem yet because i want to be sure if they are dual channel and they r at mwave.com

To anyone who ordered off of officemax.com, have you tried returning the product? I know their policy says that they do not accept open computers but I remember someone on hear saying that they'd just push the issue.

Does anybody have FEAR installed and running under XP??? Cannot get it to start.

Got it had to redownload and install a hotfix
Andy

To anyone who ordered off of officemax.com, have you tried returning the product? I know their policy says that they do not accept open computers but I remember someone on hear saying that they'd just push the issue.

Who want returned AWESOME laptop back to officemax ?? did you use sledgehammer busted your laptop ? :D

phatbx133

Just a heads up for those that missed out on this deal (Omax no longer sells the everex). Compusa is selling the 17" hp dv9207us lappy with 7600go dedicated,120gb sata + extra slot, 1gb ram, lightscribe burner, intel core duo 1.7ghz, tv tuner, remote, webcam for 799 after a $400 rebate ($350 of which is an easy rebate you just do online).

The big rebate and tax on $1200 make this not as hot as the everex, but I think all the extra feature and the keyboard with the regular layout and faster chip with longer battery life make up for the extra $$. You can probably also drop in a c2d chip later on.

Again the everex was a Great deal, but it appears dead now.

Everex is no longer sold at Office Max. Its on Tiger direct.
And the deal is not as good.

I think the HP deal is pretty good considering that you get a TV tuner card with it. That cost around $100+.

Already taking into account of tax, considering keyboard + tuner card, the deal is about the same when compared with Everex with a slight edge to HP (b/c of faster chip and a well known name brand)...IMHO

I myself bought the Everex b/c I couldn't wait for the extra $400 to come in the mail and CompUSA could file for bankruptcy; and kiss that $400 goodbye.

so can anyone please help me with choosing the memory to upgrade my everex i want to have the 2gig when the lappie comes so please is the memory i post before is dual channel enable

The HP deal is pretty good, except for the hassle and tax involved with the $400 rebate. I'd buy it just to get the standard keyboard. The TV tuner and CD processor are very nice as well. As of now I may just get a USB keyboard to use with my Everex for writing papers and other keyboard-intensive work. The built-in one is just too difficult to type on accurately. OfficeMax's return policy does allow for computer returns within 14 days but I'm in the middle of finals and don't have access to a car to get to my nearest store (30+ miles away). Oh well, still quite a decent deal.

Actually, OfficeMax return is 14 day exchange, no open laptop returns. Although I did get the impression if I raised enough of a stink, I could return it (not that I'm going to).

As for dual channel, from what I've seen you can get any memory that's equal to or faster than the current memory and it should clock itself to the existing memory speed. $50 free shipping with a $10 mail in rebate for this:

https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=90054

Figure it should clock down to 533 to match the included 1GB, then later down the road I can always replace that with another 667 capable and have faster dual channel.

Also, in regards to the HP, it's not a bad deal but it'll be an extra $50 to upgrade to 2GB memory, because I'm pretty sure it's two 512s that it comes with. Also, the Everex speakers are pretty awesome, the HP I listened to at the store was good but not nearly as good. I'm sure there is a software solution, but I also love the fan button of the Everex for slowing down the processor to cut some fan noise and extend battery life. The HP keyboard would be nice, but I've noticed after some practice I can still type very fast using the Everex.

All in all, plus and minuses on both systems, but unless you really want the TV tuner and webcam, the HP winds up being quite a bit more expensive when you take tax and memory upgrades into account.

Hmm... an upgrade to an TL60 2.0ghz processor is $250. Has anyone tried this? I'm not planning on upgrading at the moment but I'll definitely be keeping that in mind for the future. Supposedly the TL60 is quite comparable to a Core Duo @2.0ghz which should be a pretty substantial bump up from the TL50.

Does anyone else have a "rattly" left side of the keyboard? The far left side of my keyboard makes a weird hollow sound when i type on it, like it's too loose and is bumping into the chassis.

So then no one tried returning it? Havok, were you the one who mentioned earlier that if you insist on returning it they may accept it?

Does anyone else have a "rattly" left side of the keyboard? The far left side of my keyboard makes a weird hollow sound when i type on it, like it's too loose and is bumping into the chassis.

Mine does the same thing. Was very annoying at first (not even the 'play' but difference in feedback from right and left hands) but now I got used to it. I wish I could say the same for the idiotic keyboard layout.

UPDATE:
If you want to repartition, use GPartEd LiveCD to clear out the 4GB resource partition. It's free, fast and verified working on this laptop.

Did not quite work for me. I did a clean install of Vista Ultimate, then used Paragon Partition Manager (Vista Certified) to merge the two 45 GB partitions. That worked just fine. Then I deleted the 4GB partition and expanded the existing one to take up free space. Partition manager needed a reboot to complete the operation. It rebooted, did it's thing, rebooted again and I got "missing operating system". Trying to repair from Ultimate's CD did not work. It was almost as if I erased the MBR or something.
Any ideas on what I did wrong? I still want those 4 gigs:)

Hmm... an upgrade to an TL60 2.0ghz processor is $250. Has anyone tried this? I'm not planning on upgrading at the moment but I'll definitely be keeping that in mind for the future. Supposedly the TL60 is quite comparable to a Core Duo @2.0ghz which should be a pretty substantial bump up from the TL50.

Is this through Everex or just buying the TL60 online?

... and it should be quite a noticable jump in performance. L2 cache is doubled (compared to what came with the XT5000Ts TL50).

So then no one tried returning it? Havok, were you the one who mentioned earlier that if you insist on returning it they may accept it?

Yeah, I discussed before possibly returning it when I was thinking about getting an HP instead. I took it to store manager level and they were pretty insistant on not letting me return it, but I got the feeling if I took it to district manager level they'd let me return it. So far I love it so I'm not going to return it, but I got the feeling I'd have to put up a heck of a fight but eventually could return it within that 14 day window.

Grrr I'm still getting unacceptable performance in Half-Life 2. Running at native resolution with HDR off, shadows low, reflections simple, AA/AF off the game gets extremely choppy during the water levels (Water Hazard for those who are familiar with HL2). My Athlon 2500 with 64mb Ti4200 was able to play this game with a smooth, consistent frame rate, albeit at 800x600 with DX8.1 instead of 1440x900. Even so, this laptop is technologically so far ahead of my old desktop that it should be able to run the game decently.

Is my computer just not tuned properly? Or is this basically par for the course for gaming? I wonder if installing XP will solve the problem..

Grrr I'm still getting unacceptable performance in Half-Life 2. Running at native resolution with HDR off, shadows low, reflections simple, AA/AF off the game gets extremely choppy during the water levels (Water Hazard for those who are familiar with HL2). My Athlon 2500 with 64mb Ti4200 was able to play this game with a smooth, consistent frame rate, albeit at 800x600 with DX8.1 instead of 1440x900. Even so, this laptop is technologically so far ahead of my old desktop that it should be able to run the game decently.

Is my computer just not tuned properly? Or is this basically par for the course for gaming? I wonder if installing XP will solve the problem..

try close down some apps running in background in task manager, mine processess running 26 to 28 while play games.

turn off system restore

my settings details

1440x900
model - high
texture - high
shader - low
water - ref all
shadows - low
color corr - enable
AA- none
filtering - bilinear
wait vsync disabled
HDR - none
hardware directx 90 not (90+)

In nvidia control
Global setting

thread optimiztion off
texture filting - quailty to Performance
Multi-display/mixed-gpu acceleration to single display performance mode
everything else is defaults.

phatbx133

Just a heads up for those that missed out on this deal (Omax no longer sells the everex). Compusa is selling the 17" hp dv9207us lappy with 7600go dedicated,120gb sata + extra slot, 1gb ram, lightscribe burner, intel core duo 1.7ghz, tv tuner, remote, webcam for 799 after a $400 rebate ($350 of which is an easy rebate you just do online).

The big rebate and tax on $1200 make this not as hot as the everex, but I think all the extra feature and the keyboard with the regular layout and faster chip with longer battery life make up for the extra $$. You can probably also drop in a c2d chip later on.

Again the everex was a Great deal, but it appears dead now.

well officemax screwed me over by canceling my order twice, and now the cheapeast XT5000T is 900, which isnt worth it IMO. now it looks like ill be getting the hp ^^^ since its the cheapest laptop with a go7600.

but before i do get it, does anyone have any experience with the compusa erebate program. i dont want to pay $1200 and not get my $400 back. i also heard somewhere that a person is not eligble for an erebate if there is no store in there state, which makes a bit worried

Damn, how are you getting your tasks down to 26-28? I have around 60 running. Which Windows tasks are generally OK to kill before gaming?

Not sure how long this will last, but if have a buddy who bought an Everex you can get KINGSTON 2GB (2X1GB) PC2-4200 Dual Channel Kit DDR2 So-Dimm, for 69$ after rebate.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4815980

p.s. my girlfriend and I are still loving our Everexes (we have 2).. she plays WoW on it 4-5 hours a night.

T

Not sure how long this will last, but if have a buddy who bought an Everex you can get KINGSTON 2GB (2X1GB) PC2-4200 Dual Channel Kit DDR2 So-Dimm, for 69$ after rebate.

p.s. my girlfriend and I are still loving our Everexes (we have 2).. she plays WoW on it 4-5 hours a night.

T

Dang, your one lucky guy to have a girlfriend playing WoW.

Any opinion on upgrading the Everex to 3 GB?

FYI after reading these posts and deciding to pick 1 up I have not modified my laptop in any way, simply just installed my games copied over my music library and guess what everything works perfectly including the wireless I have no issues and i copied over 4 gigs in under 40 minutes. My vista was already activated out of the box.I have tried wow wc3-dota and cs source all with no issues and the stock 1gb ram. I freakin love this thing !!!

FYI after reading these posts and deciding to pick 1 up I have not modified my laptop in any way, simply just installed my games copied over my music library and guess what everything works perfectly including the wireless I have no issues and i copied over 4 gigs in under 40 minutes. My vista was already activated out of the box.I have tried wow wc3-dota and cs source all with no issues and the stock 1gb ram. I freakin love this thing !!!

glad you like your new laptop ;)

phatbx133

T

PC2-4200 is slow, PC2-5300 is faster and cheaper link at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...70381+1309221136+1309121117&name=2GB+(2+x+1GB)

I am getting new 2GB fast ram in the future.

phatbx133

What drivers are you guys using? I'm still getting horrible performance on Half-Life 2 and I have no idea how to solve it. Apparently NVidia doesn't even have official drivers for this card. I first tried using the MobileForce M6 drivers and then the ones from LaptopVideo2Go but both run like crap, even when turned down to 720x480 res.

wow this atheros card sucked i thought, then i turned off the wireless router's dhcp and voila'! :D

i found some good drivers for it. if anyone wants the link or me to send to them over aim let me know, chrisgoku7m ;)

its not a broadcom card. who said it was?

What drivers are you guys using? I'm still getting horrible performance on Half-Life 2 and I have no idea how to solve it. Apparently NVidia doesn't even have official drivers for this card. I first tried using the MobileForce M6 drivers and then the ones from LaptopVideo2Go but both run like crap, even when turned down to 720x480 res.

try use 97.48 came with lappy if no helps then try 100.65 whql works for me link at http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_100.65.html

tried all vary drivers even 158.18 inf and 165.01 no go for me.

phatbx133

I've been using tweaked 101.70 drivers which have sucked. Switched to 100.30 which also sucked. I'll give 100.65 a shot. If it still runs poorly I'm just going to uninstall Vista and go to XP. This is ridiculous that a 7600 with dual core processor can't outperform 9800Pros, 5800's, etc.

I'm using the latest drivers of tweaksrus.com (165.01), the non tweaked version. On HL2: Lost Coast, fraps reports 30 fps when looking around the large open sea section, and 40 - 50 fps when looking towards the mountain side. I didn't do any real tweaking to Vista, and although those numbers were with 2GB ram, I previously played with only 1GB and had similar numbers. This was at 1280x800 with auto detect graphical settings.

What kind of FPS are you getting in HL2? Under 30? Under 20?

I get perfect framerates (40-50) until one of the following (or several at once) happen...

-Rendering any character model
-Any explosions
-Rendering any large environments

Then the framerate drops to below 10 and becomes unplayable. Often I'll get this severe stuttering problem where holding any key down will cause the entire game to freeze until I release the key. When that happens I have to just restart the game.

I was reading an old review on IGN of HL2 and they said they had silky smooth framerates regardless of what was happening on-screen with a 9800Pro and P4 3.2ghz processor. What the hell is going on with my brand spanking new laptop? And why isn't anyone else experiencing this bad performance?

I get perfect framerates (40-50) until one of the following (or several at once) happen...

-Rendering any character model
-Any explosions
-Rendering any large environments

Then the framerate drops to below 10 and becomes unplayable. Often I'll get this severe stuttering problem where holding any key down will cause the entire game to freeze until I release the key. When that happens I have to just restart the game.

I was reading an old review on IGN of HL2 and they said they had silky smooth framerates regardless of what was happening on-screen with a 9800Pro and P4 3.2ghz processor. What the hell is going on with my brand spanking new laptop? And why isn't anyone else experiencing this bad performance?

800 mhz?

Have you run 3DMark (any version)? At least then you could compare it to what others are getting. Good method to determine if it's something system wide, or something more specific to HL2...

Back