Everex XT5000T Support thread

I got this notebook a couple weeks ago from Office Max for $720 after tax and fatcash. I am completely satisfied with this purchase. This laptop was an unbelievable deal. I just popped in a 2nd 1GB stick of A-Data 667 I got from Newegg for $40 AR and it's much faster. Read it immediately and my Vista rating for memory went from 4.5 to 5.4.

The MIR for the A-Data is gone now but like others in the thread have already said, the Crucial 1GB is probably the best buy right now.

Crucial 1GB SO-DIMM DDR2 667 - $35 AR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145048

For a case, I didn't want to drag around a backpack. So I found a nice black briefcase that just fits this notebook perfectly(with adapter of course). It's a little flashy but not in a bad way.

Vanguard Modern84 17" Black - $58 Shipped

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997024

ohh... does that case allow for storing extra stuff with the Everex in there? I went with a leather briefcase instead of hardside because everything I read said 17" computers generally take up ALL the space in a 17" hard side case. If you can store mouse, power cord, etc in there I'll pick up a couple.

I look forward to reading your response!

T

Well, my problem's been solved--went back to XP, now HL2 is completely playable. Plus a bunch of my old applications are now compatible as well, which refused to work under Vista. I didn't like Aero that much anyways and that was really my only reason for trying Vista.

Gah, I give already, Vista is pissing me off!

How exactly would I go about installing XP on here? Are the drivers on Everex's site all I'll need?

Yep, just use all those drivers except for the vga one. I got the NVidia 97.92 drivers from laptopvideo2go.com. I couldn't get the card reader to work, though.

Well, my problem's been solved--went back to XP, now HL2 is completely playable. Plus a bunch of my old applications are now compatible as well, which refused to work under Vista. I didn't like Aero that much anyways and that was really my only reason for trying Vista.

Yeah i was thinking of going back to XP as well. How well did everything get picked up on install

Yep, just use all those drivers except for the vga one. I got the NVidia 97.92 drivers from laptopvideo2go.com. I couldn't get the card reader to work, though.

For XP it was a two step procedure for installing the card reader, if I remember correctly 1st you have to run the CdRdr.exe file within the CdRdr folder. This will find the card reader, once that is done run the setup file within the CardReader folder for the drivers.

Andy

hey guys my new lappie hasnt arrive and im getting nuts here i too got a vanguard aluminium cases beatifull with a 2x1gb patriot pc5300 to pump it up so i was wondering could you people post some pics of this great machine i would like to see its finishing thanks

Thanks, that fixed it.

BTW, don't use the newest 100 series drivers from LaptopVideo2Go!! They are horrible on the XT5000T... slow, buggy, prone to hangs and crashes on my machine. The 97.92 works like a dream.

What really pissed me off in Vista was that it doesn't allow you to roll back drivers to an older version, other than through the built-in downgrade feature which will automatically go to your last driver. For example, as far as I know you can't go from a poor newer driver to a working older one without doing a complete uninstall (i.e. through safe-mode with driver cleaner). Otherwise, Vista will just tell you that the driver you're trying to install is older than your current driver and will abort installation. This is a really stupid move on Microsoft's part because there are lots of situations where an older driver works better than a newer one. In XP you can just install the new driver over the old one. Someone correct me if that's not the case... that was my experience with Vista drivers anyway.

Which is the best 3d benchmark to use? (I've not used it in years to be honest), used 6 last night on my girlfriends Everex and got what I think is a pretty horrid score (2432). Was this the best version to use? and is the score as bad as I think? I'm going to try mine this week... it was running at 1600 with 2 gig ram (553Mhz).

T

Which is the best 3d benchmark to use? (I've not used it in years to be honest), used 6 last night on my girlfriends Everex and got what I think is a pretty horrid score (2432). Was this the best version to use? and is the score as bad as I think? I'm going to try mine this week... it was running at 1600 with 2 gig ram (553Mhz).
T

Mine is even worse. Both Everex's drivers and http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_100.65.html that someone here recommended produce ~2200 scores on vista with 2GB of 533 RAM. Does not bother me too much. EQ2 runs smoothly on highest settings. Although I had to turn STALKER settings way down to play. Would be nice if someone could recommend a better driver.
I also use this laptop for work so turning off all the services except few essentials is not an option. Maybe that's how ppl are getting better scores.

T

if its 2006 its actually not too bad and that is about what most people are getting.
if however its 2003 thats really bad.
However, these don't really tell you how well your games will play at all which is why Kyle and the others here don't use them in the [H] reviews they use actual games to test performance.

Has anyone had this problem:I was able to access everything on the laptop for about the first two weeks, then after that, after turning it on and logging in a window would pop up saying the cd key I entered is invalid. Luckily I was able to solve the problem by going to the everex site and activating Vista, but I was just wondering if anyone else ran into this issue and if this is normal.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah it was definatly 2006, I felt bad watching her face fall as some of those tests were running at .00001 FPS. But its good to know its on par with the rest and nothing is out of wack on her system.

T

Has anyone had this problem:I was able to access everything on the laptop for about the first two weeks, then after that, after turning it on and logging in a window would pop up saying the cd key I entered is invalid. Luckily I was able to solve the problem by going to the everex site and activating Vista, but I was just wondering if anyone else ran into this issue and if this is normal.

Vista is unactivated by default, Have to download & run the activation file from Everex to complete the activation. I believe it gives you 15 days from the first time you turn it on to activate or the os goes into a crippled state after that.

Andy

Vista Rating update

TL-60 raises CPU from 4.6 to 4.8
2 x 1GB Crucial (w/ TL-60 upgrade) raises RAM from 4.5 to 5.9
Hitachi 100GB 7200RPM raises HD from 4.4 to 5.0

Has anyone else swapped out there 5400RPM drive for a 7200RPM one?
Also, has anyone got a 4.9 on there Graphics rating yet?

-Thanks

How's the heat on that TL-60? 0.2 upgrade on CPU seems... smallish based on the huge upgrade you get going from stock RAM to the 667s.

T

my currently benchmark as today score below

3dmark2001SE - 11580
3dmark05 - 3488
3dmark06 - TBA

while 28 processess running with Vista along with 100.65 whql

phatbx133

How's the heat on that TL-60? 0.2 upgrade on CPU seems... smallish based on the huge upgrade you get going from stock RAM to the 667s.

T

agreed, best upgrades both fast ram 667 and fast 7200rpm with 8, 16 or 32MB cache
no need upgrade for CPU, current TL-50 should able overclock to TL-56, TL-50 only 31 watts cooler than TL-60 35 watts.

phatbx133

It's not entirely clear to me if one can overclock the cpu in this laptop. Obviously there is nothing in the BIOS to facilitate overclocking, but utilities are being mentioned, but it appears that they may not always work as expected.

It's not entirely clear to me if one can overclock the cpu in this laptop. Obviously there is nothing in the BIOS to facilitate overclocking, but utilities are being mentioned, but it appears that they may not always work as expected.

I was think about get this ram link at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820340010

see volt 1.8 to 2.2 ? that is overclockable easy but...yea there is no adjust in bios, I might buy this anyway for futureproof if everex let release new bios for better ram compitable and increase 667 to 800 mhz (hopeful).

phatbx133

Anyone play with ReadyBoost much yet? I picked up a 4 gig SD card (thanks woot.com) but due to work have not had a chance to test it other than to put it in and see if it works with ReadyBoost (it does). BTW for those planning on using SD card for ReadyBoost, please be aware the SD card sticks 1/2 way out of the slot when fully inserted.. I was hoping it would sit in flush.. but.. yeah.. not so much.

T

A note for everyone...

I can NOT get my TL-60 to run above 800MHz when on battery at all. It ALWAYS throttles. It has nothing to do with the Vista power plan, the CPU temp, or the PowerManager software. The problem doesn't exist with the MK-36, TL-50, or TL-52 processors... just the TL-60. This is sad news... I am gonna play around with it a little more and see what I can figure out.

Could it be a motherboard hard coded protection mode due to potentially too much heat for the fans to dump?

T

A note for everyone...

I can NOT get my TL-60 to run above 800MHz when on battery at all. It ALWAYS throttles. It has nothing to do with the Vista power plan, the CPU temp, or the PowerManager software. The problem doesn't exist with the MK-36, TL-50, or TL-52 processors... just the TL-60. This is sad news... I am gonna play around with it a little more and see what I can figure out.

I cannot get my TL-50 to run anything but at 800mhz when on battery???????? What settings were you using with the TL-50. Are your temps any better with the TL-60???

Andy

Andy, you must create your own power plan (don't just use high performance). Set the CPU min and max at 100%. Make sure the PowerManager (silent mode) program is not running. Also, these CPUs seem to throttle to 800MHz when they hit 80-85 (AC or battery). The TL-50 should run at 1600MHz on battery with no problem. I spoke with Everex tech support before I bought the TL-60. They assured me it would be fine. I called them back today and they are saying that they have never tried a TL-60?! What a bunch of idiots. Those jackasses have been nothing but trouble since day 1. They don't even have a XT5000T there to actually look at?!!!!! That's ridiculous.

Anyone play with ReadyBoost much yet? I picked up a 4 gig SD card (thanks woot.com) but due to work have not had a chance to test it other than to put it in and see if it works with ReadyBoost (it does). BTW for those planning on using SD card for ReadyBoost, please be aware the SD card sticks 1/2 way out of the slot when fully inserted.. I was hoping it would sit in flush.. but.. yeah.. not so much.

T

How is yours formated to work with ready boost? I picked up two of those as well and ready boost doesn't even ask if I want to use it when I stick it in the mem card reader

To get ReadyBoost to kick in just right click on your SD or USB and click properties... Readyboost will be on the tabs. Just click on it and test to see if the item is readyboost compatable.

Good luck!

T

Man, I'm amazed no one else has had problems with HL2. I just beat it today, but the experience was definitely less than optimal. My XT5000T apparently has the "Valve Stuttering Bug" that is really prevalent even on high-end systems. The Source engine is always loading tons of stuff from the hard drive dynamically and it absolutely kills performance if a system component can't keep up. Is everyone else's game running perfectly smooth? I had so many problems keeping a decent framerate... I would have to pause the game and wait for the hard drive to catch up before resuming, otherwise I would get like 10 fps. I'd imagine at least some other people with this notebook had the same problem?

Man, I'm amazed no one else has had problems with HL2. I just beat it today, but the experience was definitely less than optimal. My XT5000T apparently has the "Valve Stuttering Bug" that is really prevalent even on high-end systems. The Source engine is always loading tons of stuff from the hard drive dynamically and it absolutely kills performance if a system component can't keep up. Is everyone else's game running perfectly smooth? I had so many problems keeping a decent framerate... I would have to pause the game and wait for the hard drive to catch up before resuming, otherwise I would get like 10 fps. I'd imagine at least some other people with this notebook had the same problem?

i don't know i ran through it fine in 90% of the scenes just running it at the auto-detected settings with just shutting down most outside processes and running at full 1.6ghz

Other new review link at http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3682&review=Everex+StepNote+XT500t

XT5000T in USA virtually identical to the Fujitsu Amilo XA 1526 sold in Europe.

i am going look up website at Fujitsu for any software, drivers, bios stuff like that...Everex is lazy post updates.

anyway here is download free laptop hardware control might be useful for your laptop link at http://www.pbus-167.com/

enjoy
phatbx133

There are some BIOS's for the Xa 1526 on the fujitsu site but I have not been brave enough to try them.
http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/com/support/downloads.html
According to CPU Z our BIOS is ver 1.1A 4426 8A20 dated 1\15\07
Andy

There are some BIOS's for the Xa 1526 on the fujitsu site but I have not been brave enough to try them.
Andy

I just ran Bios window flasher called "FSC 1010995" look screen below, no i didnt try it yet.

phatbx133

Back