EVGA 3GB 580

Nice. I'll be stepping up even though the extra VRAM probably won't make much of a difference for me. Still, better to have and not need than the reverse. ;)

@Mike211: Newegg doesn't accept returns for refunds on the 580 even if it's unopened. Replacement only. Your best option is to use eVGA's step up program.

Cool! Soon then :)

As for step-up, nope.

Graphics Cards

EVGA will only release reference versions of its products, NVIDIA reference spec and clock, to the Step-Up program.
Step-Up is limited to pre-approved graphics cards only and can only be used for exchange to a different and higher performing GPU.
Products known to have a limited availability will not be made available to the Step-Up program. (Limited availability determined by EVGA.)
Customers who received their EVGA graphics card as part of a complete computer system are not eligible - except for those listed on our approved system vendor list.
Graphics Cards Examples:

GTX 460 → GTX 580: YES (Upgraded GPU)
GTX 460 768MB → GTX 460 1GB: NO (Same GPU)
GTX 570 → GTX 480: NO (Must be GPU upgrade)

Damn, looks like you need to call EVGA to get this sorted out. Make sure your aware that the 3gb models will cost at least $100 more each.

How can he get this sorted out when eVGA's Step-up rules are clearly defined?

GTX 580 1.5GB > GTX 580 3GB = No

Damn, looks like you need to call EVGA to get this sorted out. Make sure your aware that the 3gb models will cost at least $100 more each.

How can he get this sorted out when eVGA's Step-up rules are clearly defined?

GTX 580 1.5GB > GTX 580 3GB = No

:confused: maybe they'll make a exception in his case. He did just buy 3 cards and feels buyers remorse. That is what customer service is for and all about. I've seen step up definied and people step up after the 90 days via a extension from a evga rep. Doesn't hurt to ask, if they say no then he's right back where he started, if they say yes.... ;)

Yep, can't hurt to ask. Worst they could say is no.

Either way, GTX 580 triple SLI performs well whether the cards have 1.5GB or 3GB frame buffer. :)

:confused: maybe they'll make a exception in his case. He did just buy 3 cards and feels buyers remorse. That is what customer service is for and all about. I've seen step up definied and people step up after the 90 days via a extension from a evga rep. Doesn't hurt to ask, if they say no then he's right back where he started, if they say yes.... ;)

VERY much doubt it, it cleary states in the T&Cs. Especially if the stock is going to be like Palit/Gainward 3Gb cards.

The EVGA Step-Up program helps you have the peace of mind to purchase your favorite product now, knowing you can upgrade to the latest parts that come out within the first 90 days from your purchase.

Offtopic: The FAQs from the EVGA step up says you can only step up within the first 90 days??? :confused: Man, thats short!

Ontopic: @Mike211: what resolution are you on?

Step up has some many stupid rules that to me is just a gimmick more than a feature. I am sure some people is able to use it but to me is worthless.
I still prefer EVGA though over most others.

Just used it to step up 2 570's to 580's - sometimes it works well. :)

Here's how I deal with EVGA step-up.

You were most likely going to buy a certain card anyway, right?

I generally keep my ear close to the action and find out when what I want is going to be released.......

Inside the 90 day window, buy a lesser, but trade-able model......then Step-up.

I went from 480s to 580s for 25 bucks a card.......saved a few bucks, probably around 50 on each card.

Only thing about a step-up, it cannot be traded again.....but does have the full warranty.

So let me get it right... it works something like this?

1. For example buy a EVGA GTX 580
2. Within 90 days setup-up to a newer model like the GTX 590 for example
3. After that the GTX 590 holds and cannot be traded/step-upped again?

So let me get it right... it works something like this?

1. For example buy a EVGA GTX 580
2. Within 90 days setup-up to a newer model like the GTX 590 for example
3. After that the GTX 590 holds and cannot be traded/step-upped again?

Yes pretty much, though the GTX590 isn't a standard card as such, has a much lower supply than mainstream models and will most likely be classed as a special card thus not included in the step-up program. Think more on the lines of this:

GTX560 --> GTX570
GTX570 --> GTX580
GTX580 --> GTX585 (e.g. If nvidia did another refresh and replaced the GTX580 with a slightly tuned revision)

My problem is they did not (at least not when I tried it) allow you to trade up to SC or FTW versions for example only plain vanilla ones which to me is stupid because the people that are most likely to use Step Up are power users who like to keep up with the fastest and usually get the SC for FTW to get better chances of a high clocking GPU.

Offtopic: The FAQs from the EVGA step up says you can only step up within the first 90 days??? Man, thats short!

The only other company who has ever offered a trade up or step up program was BFG and they used a 100 day window.

These programs were started as a favor to the customer in case a newer product was released just after you bought what you currently have. 90 days is pretty good if you think about it.

Case in point, my wife bought an iPad in mid February, the iPad2 came out in mid-March, less than one month later.
Apple offered a 100 dollar cash back if you just bought the iPad but it could only be within 2 weeks of the release date.:eek:

My problem is they did not (at least not when I tried it) allow you to trade up to SC or FTW versions for example only plain vanilla ones which to me is stupid because the people that are most likely to use Step Up are power users who like to keep up with the fastest and usually get the SC for FTW to get better chances of a high clocking GPU.

Actually I think most true "power users" know that the SC cards are marketing profit cows with a different BIOS. Gimme vanilla every time.

Completely disagree there mate. Since companies started doing this crap of sc, ftw etc there is a good chance your vanilla is vanilla because it was not able to hit FTW speeds for example. Not the case all the time but unfortunately there is a much better chance now compared to the days were we got one card and it was a matter of luck.

EVGA 3GB 580 Availability is scheduled in 1-2 weeks says JacobF EVGA Product Manager. I just bought three 1.5GB 580s on March 24.:( Can I return and open item to Newegg and get EVGA 3GB 580s?

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=949314

I'm in the same boat as you except I bought two from Amazon about a week ago. Its completely my fault. I was researching other components so much that I didn't spend as much time looking ahead after the GTX 590 came out. They said I can return it but I'm not sure how much they'll shave off the refund. If it wasn't just a hundred dollars more for the 3 GB versions, I wouldn't be whining about it. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet but the refund will take weeks and possibly tie up my funds long enough to maybe miss the first stocks. Even worse I'll be left without video cards for the same amount of time. So I'm leaning heavily towards no but at the same time the urge to do it is still there. They are still two VERY AWESOME cards but if I could go back in time I would have mostly definitely waited. Just going to have to live with it.

Amazon will take them back and only deduct shipping from your refund. That assumes you dont claim them defective. If you ordered on one invoice it will be one shipping deduction (typ $7). For two separate invoices it's two deductions. Can't combine them in that case. I'd send them back... but you have 30 days from purchase.

Amazon will take them back and only deduct shipping from your refund. That assumes you dont claim them defective. If you ordered on one invoice it will be one shipping deduction (typ $7). For two separate invoices it's two deductions. Can't combine them in that case. I'd send them back... but you have 30 days from purchase.
Thank you very much for the info. I think I will send them back once they get the EVGA 3 GBs in stock which will hopefully be before the 30 days are up.

Completely disagree there mate. Since companies started doing this crap of sc, ftw etc there is a good chance your vanilla is vanilla because it was not able to hit FTW speeds for example. Not the case all the time but unfortunately there is a much better chance now compared to the days were we got one card and it was a matter of luck.

LOL

ive never had a card that couldn't do the same speeds same volts as any o/c card that you could buy.

its a cash cow plain and simple.

I'm curious to see what type of pricing we'll see when these are [hopefully] readily available.

I really want to see the SLI scaling with these 3GB beasts. I'm wondering if AMD's amazing scaling is due in part to the larger VRAM available...?

I'm building a 3d gaming computer, I will have a 1080P 3d monitor. I was thinking about purchasing a gtx 580. Should I wait for the 3gb model to come out at this point? Or is it that I will never utilize over 1.5gb of memory at 1080p resolutions?

For a single 1080P monitor there's not going to be if any benefit from the extra VRAM. If you were going with three monitors then it would benefit. I've been thinking about going to 3GB cards but I've had these cards for five months now and to be honest performance in 3D even with Surround has been very good though could probably drive higher settings.

I take it we don't know the requirements for this beast as of yet?

Yes.

LOL, that's a given. Can't say that applies to me. I'd only consider this thing if I could sell my 480 for a respectable figure and if my PSU would even handle it in the first place. I have to meet both of those criteria or forget it.

power requirements won't be much different from the current 580's just add 20-30w for the extra GDDR5 just in case.

Yes.
LOL, that's a given. Can't say that applies to me. I'd only consider this thing if I could sell my 480 for a respectable figure and if my PSU would even handle it in the first place. I have to meet both of those criteria or forget it.

Do you really own a GTX 480 and are wondering if your psu that is already running your GTX 480 will be able to run this GTX 580 :eek: :)

Do you really own a GTX 480 and are wondering if your psu that is already running your GTX 480 will be able to run this GTX 580 :eek: :)

Maybe he means running at least two in SLI? Unfortunately, we don't know his specs. There's simply no point in getting one 3GB 580 and running it on one monitor.

Maybe he means running at least two in SLI? Unfortunately, we don't know his specs. There's simply no point in getting one 3GB 580 and running it on one monitor.

Could explain it. However anyone wondering if a GTX 580 will run with a power supply that can drive an even more power hungry GTX 480.. well we all know the answer to that.

power requirements won't be much different from the current 580's just add 20-30w for the extra GDDR5 just in case.

^^ That's what I wasn't sure about. What kind of difference that much extra VRAM would make.

I wouldn't buy something like this for a single monitor setup, either, unless I really want to whore out some 30 inch but I'm casually considering a few different things. Nothing too serious.

I'm just amazed that I'm starting to see cards packing this much VRAM and always have a general interest in the new goodies. :)

Back