EVGA 750i SZ1H Beta BIOS Released - More video corruption fixes, CPU fast read toggle

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
Today EVGA released another in it's slew of attempts to fix the video corruption crashes with their 750i SLI FTW motherboard. This time they've added a 'CPU Fast Read' toggle - this is basically a toggle that turns on or off the latency tweaks NVIDIA has introduced to try and stop the infamous video corruption crashing.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=496310&mpage=1&key=&#496310

So if you want the high performance that the motherboard was originally so famous for, but you don't mind (or <GASP!> don't HAVE) the video corruption and crashing then you can turn CPU Fast Read to enabled. However if you've experienced hundreds of video corruption crashes and issues and just want to toss the fucking board out the window, try disabling 'CPU Fast Read'.

Amazing. They have the balls to add even more artificial latency in a blind effort to stop the video corruption crashing, but hey at least now we have a toggle!

Yeah, I know I sound bitter. :(

Christ, I just bought a 750i a week ago with the intent of picking up another 8800GT for a cheap SLI rig. What kind of video corruption have you seen on yours?

Christ, I just bought a 750i a week ago with the intent of picking up another 8800GT for a cheap SLI rig. What kind of video corruption have you seen on yours?

It's a widespread problem, but maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones and not have the problem at all.

The 750i/780i video corruption issue happens during usually when playing any type of video on your system.

On an XP machine you'll be sitting enjoying your movie and all of the sudden you'll see strange colored vertical lines in the video. Closing the video and re-opening it won't help, it will just make matters worse. Eventually without a reboot your whole screen (desktop and all) will become corrupt and given time you'll be treated to either a complete system lockup or a BSOD/Reboot.

On a Vista machine things happen much quicker and with much more severity. Usually you'll be watching a video and you'll suddenly see massive corruption followed by a BSOD or spontaneous reboot. On the rare occasion you don't crash or reboot, your mouse cursor and sometimes your entire desktop will become increasingly corrupt requiring a manual reboot.

These symptoms can happen a few minutes after starting a video, or they might not happen for several hours. It's very random.

The 'video corruption' can also happen during 3D gaming although the symptoms are usually quite different. The end result is the same though, and nothing seems to set it off like simply playing your favorite video.

Here are some examples taken from a google image search:

errorsie8.jpg

img15413vt9.jpg

screenvs8.jpg

Here is a big thread on it over at the nzone forums:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=65855&st=0

And if you google "750i video corruption" you'll get tons of results too...

I bought an Abit NVidia 680i board in late Oct. '07 and it was terrible and plain unusable with corruption and stability problems. With a steep investment in two NVidia video cards, I bought an XFX 780i board, which has worked a week to two weeks at the most without falling apart like the 680i, that worked no longer than one day. I have had the problems shown in this tread and sudden system freeze, everything just stopped. Prior I had a sudden snap, immediate reboot and a hard drive with errors needing Checkdisk to fix. XFX has had several BIOS versions and two causing problems, as well, as the others, versions P05 and P06 have been removed from their BIOS download list. Did NVidia use it customers, as Beta Testers for these BIOS versions? Or are they so lost in delivering fixes for the problems on these motherboards? Does this show clearly, that NVidia delivered an immature, unrefined or defect(s) ridden product or was it just poorly made without any quality control or any combination of these factors? Hey, NVidia can you answer this for all the angry and abused customers with your useless motherboard products?

That's got to suck, all that money wasted. There needs be some type of 3year / 36,000 mile warranty for stuff sent to the market with a 50/50% it might work completely.

The SZ1F bios fixed my video corruption. Don't think I'll try jumping to a new bios since everything is working..

Worst experience in my entire life from this board. I will never buy an nvidia or evga product as long as I breathe I have had to RMA this thing so many damn times with the same result. Be careful if you try to warn others on evga or nvidia forums or get too hostile about it you will banned while others giving it praise can get away with anything its like age of conan forums there.

sigh....nvidia really did screw the pooch with their monopolization of SLI. On top of that, their chipsets are mediocre at best. lets hope x58 + n200 saves the day for SLI fans.

I've had good luck with my 780i, haven't experienced any video corruption.

However, if the new Intel nehalem chipsets have SLI support, I know where I'm going when its time to upgrade, and it won't be another Nvidia board. Most Intel chipsets seem to be able to reach higher, more stable OC than comparable Nvidia boards without any weird glitches that should have been worked out long ago.

I mean seriously, how long have we been able to watch video on PCs? Half of forever? And Nvidia's latest and greatest technology can't even do that right on way too many boards out there? Come on.

well, I did a lot of research on this because I was getting the vid corruption to. With any bios revison. Removing the official nvidia drivers and using the drivers form windows update solved the problem for me. Seems to help other peeps too. BTW, got that from the evga forums. Hope this helps :D .

EVGA 750i sli ftw
Q9550@ stock speed for the moment ;)
4 gigs Gskill ddr2 1066
2 EVGA 8800gt's
2 x wd74 raptors @ raid 0
Vista Ultimate X64

I didn't know this was a widespread problem, I thought it was just my system and unstable drivers. My Vista system gets this, then just locks up. I grabbed the newest bios yesterday, so hopefully it fixes it. The last one that said to 'fix the corruption bug' didn't work. Pray for the newest one to work.

Has anyone noticed performance loss with the increase latency? Also, I have a Xeon CPU, are people with desktop CPU's also getting this?

well, I did a lot of research on this because I was getting the vid corruption to. With any bios revison. Removing the official nvidia drivers and using the drivers form windows update solved the problem for me. Seems to help other peeps too. BTW, got that from the evga forums. Hope this helps :D
I did notice that I stopped getting the bug after a fresh format of Vista with the windows update drivers. I updated to the Nvidia mobo drivers that were just released (15.23) then it happened again about a week later.

I didn't know this was a widespread problem, I thought it was just my system and unstable drivers. My Vista system gets this, then just locks up. I grabbed the newest bios yesterday, so hopefully it fixes it. The last one that said to 'fix the corruption bug' didn't work. Pray for the newest one to work.

It doesn't stop the VC issues entirely, but it does make them happen significantly less often.

How they fixed the video corruption issues was to introduce artificial latency in the CPU subsystem. With every BIOS release promised to 'fix' the VC issue the latency was increased more and more and the VC issues happened less and less.

You'll notice that if you have an EVGA board they've been kind enough to include a toggle in the very latest BIOS versions that is supposed to allow you to disable / enable these latency tweaks manually. The option is called 'CPU Fast Read' and can be disabled to stop (or hinder significantly) the video corruption issues, or it can be enabled if you don't care about VC issues or never have experienced them in the first place.

Yeah I saw, when I rebooted my system from the bios update, the cpu was clocked at 3.15ghz (on post screen) then the system immediately reboot and it was back to 3ghz. I checked and the new setting was set to disable.

Back