EVGA Step-Up Begins

snaggletooth

Supreme [H]ardness
i've been approved to ship my 8800gts 320mb to evga this morning. kinda excited, kinda miffed that it took until now to get the process approved, having launched my request the moment the option was available last monday. if i do ship out today, that sets me up to miss the lanch of crysis and also COD4, which i was going to purchase at the same time this coming weekend. :(

that aside, i'm sending the card anyways. i'll see the games later.

the documentation i received for the step-up claims "Unless otherwise specified, EVGA aims to ship the Step-Up product within three business days upon receipt of the Original card."

there was no other specification, so can i assume that if i same-day ship my card to them today, I should receive my 8800GT by this coming monday(19) or tuesday, right? that's being realistic. optimistically, could i expect to receive my new card by this friday?

since there are rumoured to be plenty of vanilla 8800gt's, right?

and since nothing was otherwise specified, right? heh heh

this'll be my first experience with teh step and i'd just like to have some kind of idea (aside from the excellent legal wordage received via email), since i'm dropping back to 7600gt's for the time being and would hate to be sitting around with these in my case for 2+ weeks... though i guess i'd have an opportunity to get re-accustomed to the sound of a leaf-blower while gaming. :D

i had to rma my stock 8800gt and since their product page for it says backordered i was expecting to be waiting a while but they shipped it last night...good luck to you

ps. what bios are you using with your board?...i flashed mine to the most recent release and it wouldnt hold the same oc i had and made everything sluggish.

I just got my confirmation today as well after waiting about 2 weeks. Now I get to wait for the shipping payment to verify before I go and send in my GTS 320.

My step up window is a month overdue. Guess I'm "stuck" with my 8800GTS 320 mb. I sprung for the ACS KO superclocked version too. Guess thats the way the tech game goes...even though I am more than happy with my current system. :p

My window ran out while I was in the Step-Up process queue line but hopefully eVGA is cool about that. :cool:

I read on the FAQ on EVGA, as long as you started the process of step up before the window ended your fine. Even if you are still in the queue.

ps. what bios are you using with your board?...i flashed mine to the most recent release and it wouldnt hold the same oc i had and made everything sluggish.

i'm running 0202. have never had a problem with it at all since i opened the box, so i've never bothered flashing to a new bios. according to many threads, i got lucky.

having to be without your gaming GPU is silly. they need to figure out a better method for this program.

him waiting 1-2wks for a new GPU and not being able to game. And paying a fraction of the cost of the new gpu

Or paying 200-500$ for a new gpu and waiting 3-5days for it to come in and once it does old gpu sets and collects dust.

Hmmm

thats a tuffy.

Yeah I guess it's impossible to put your current GPU on eBay or craigslist or other places and ship it out the day your new card arrives. Yeah, toughie. Yeah, $200-500 difference in price. Right.

its a feature that few companies have.To me its a lot less hassle then putting up a card and hopeing it will sale. Then you have to worry about scammers and deal with people if they have no idea what they are doing. It wont fit in my Blah blah, it wont boot up in my BLAH BLAH, what i have to upgrade my BLAH BLAH BLAH. Ive been down that road before, am not going to go through it again if i don't have to.

And yes a good video card is 200-500$.

Now for instance i want a 8800gtx and am in the 90 day window of buying after buying a 8600gts

Full retail price of a 8600gts

450-150

$350 for 8800gtx... hmm be lucky to sell my used card for 120$ on those places you mentioned.

And i think all of us could live without having a monster GPU for a week or two. At lest those who work full time.

User preference i guess. Each to their own, this thread is about the EVGA step-up program, and thus am just discussing the benefits of it.

it'd be nice if they'd cross-ship to those who are credit-inclined. i don't really see how that would be asking too much.

that's the only problem i have with step-up, at the moment anyways.

agreed. But even besides that its pretty damn impressive that a company gives you full retail price for a 3month old used card.

i'll agree... i can also see how different circumstances could produce much different results. evga has been known to have quite high retail prices for it's step-up products, on occasion. the 8800gt step-up isn't one such occasion and is pretty reasonably priced at $259.99USD.

Good! More n00bs out of my way...8800GT, you shall be mine soonz!!111

Anyway...grats :D

I am #177 in the queue - getting there...

The nice thing about the Step-Up is that they give you FULL credit for what you paid for your original card.

I paid $299.99 for my 8800GTS 320 SC. I DOUBT if I could sell it for $300 used on eBay or craigslist.

eVGA on the other hand will give me the full $300 credit for stepping up (or across, or down).

My step-up ends Dec 7. I'm biding my time to see if the fables rumored G92 GTS will be released until then. If not, then I'll get the 8800GT just before my step-up ends.

I have no problem being without my main game rig for a few days. You do NOT send in your card UNTIL they confirm they have one ready to send out to you.

it'd be nice if they'd cross-ship to those who are credit-inclined. i don't really see how that would be asking too much.

that's the only problem i have with step-up, at the moment anyways.

This does sound like a good idea but then if people were missing alot of parts to their stepup, they could substitute the new ones for the old ones and avoid the fee. I think that this may evolve into a possibility as long as people dont try to abuse it. Plus, if you do send in your old card after getting the stepup and it is missing some parts, then they would have to charge you again and you would be confused as to why you were charged rather than seeing the 15% charge on your stepup payment. Just a few thoughts.:)

just bought a evga 8800gt KO. Did not know about this step-up thing... can someone explain this?

Also.. do they give you the MSRP credit or what you paid? I paid $310 but I guessing MSRP is probobly lower..

So within 3 months if something faster comes along they will give me $300 credit to trade in? :cool:

can you step-up a step-up? :D

just bought a evga 8800gt KO. Did not know about this step-up thing... can someone explain this?

Also.. do they give you the MSRP credit or what you paid? I paid $310 but I guessing MSRP is probobly lower..

So within 3 months if something faster comes along they will give me $300 credit to trade in? :cool:

can you step-up a step-up? :D

Stepup means that you can trade in your old card for a new one if a new one comes out within 90 days of your original purchase date. You will get MSRP price of the new card - what you paid for your card(without taxes or shipping). You will get a 310 dollar credit towards your new card if you do want to stepup to something but you will have to go with the MSRP price for that card you are stepping upto. And you can only stepup once per original purchase, so for that 8800GT KO you only get one stepup. BUt if you buy another you can also step that one up. Also, you cannot stepup to overclocked cards, so expect to get a reference clocked card in return for stepup. Also, be sure to keep all of the accessories and cables with your 8800GT if you plan on steppin up.

Stepup means that you can trade in your old card for a new one if a new one comes out within 90 days of your original purchase date. You will get MSRP price of the new card - what you paid for your card(without taxes or shipping). You will get a 310 dollar credit towards your new card if you do want to stepup to something but you will have to go with the MSRP price for that card you are stepping upto. And you can only stepup once per original purchase, so for that 8800GT KO you only get one stepup. BUt if you buy another you can also step that one up. Also, you cannot stepup to overclocked cards, so expect to get a reference clocked card in return for stepup. Also, be sure to keep all of the accessories and cables with your 8800GT if you plan on steppin up.

cool!

anyone know nvidia's roadmap and if they plan on dropping the nexgen cards within the next 3 months?

While you could step up to nvidia's 9xxx series, hopefully before the stepup time runs out, you would pay through the ass going through EVGA's step up program. EVGA is about10-20% higher than priced for stepup than other retailers.

At least you got that option.

While you could step up to nvidia's 9xxx series, hopefully before the stepup time runs out, you would pay through the ass going through EVGA's step up program. EVGA is about10-20% higher than priced for stepup than other retailers.

Sorry, but this is not true. EVGA prices the card for what they sell it for initially and rarely change it. Thats why it at times is higher than retail. If you were to stepup to a 8800GT you would see a price of 269.99 in comparison to newegg's 289. Id say that newegg is more expensive.

This does sound like a good idea but then if people were missing alot of parts to their stepup, they could substitute the new ones for the old ones and avoid the fee. I think that this may evolve into a possibility as long as people dont try to abuse it. Plus, if you do send in your old card after getting the stepup and it is missing some parts, then they would have to charge you again and you would be confused as to why you were charged rather than seeing the 15% charge on your stepup payment. Just a few thoughts.:)

i can understand where you're coming from and agree that some people could possibly abuse cross-shipping...

but all my accessories were still in the hermetically sealed bags! :eek:

:D

i don't completely agree with this, but throughout the year there might be instances where what you state is somewhat true.

Right now, the msrp is CHEAPER than street price, so you'll be SAVING money by doing the step-up.

Anyway, keep the original packaging and accessories for at least 90-days to avoid hassles if you plan on stepping up. Though I heard, they are pretty lenient on want you send back (missing CD's or dvi adapters don;t seem to cause a problem or 15% fee, but better to be safe than sorry).

ALSO... if for some reason you have to RMA a product, that voids the step-up.

Second, the step-up is not transferable if the original purchaser registered the product through eVGA.

quick question i think i read this some where but i dont have time to look it up (at work:p) but installing an aftermarket cooler, does that void the stepup/warranty.

Thanks

as long as you remove the aftermarket cooler and re-mount the stock model before sending it in, no problem.

Back