EVGA SuperClocked 7900GTX Issues?

Well here is my horror story. Lets start of by posting the system first.

AMD A64 3700+ Sandy.
ASRock 939 Dual SATA 2
XFX 7900 GTX EXtreme Edition (690/1750)
OCZ Platnuim 2x 1gb PC 3200 (2-3-2-5 2t)
Creative X-Fi Platium
WD250 KS SATAII
PC&C 510 SLi

Pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Spin_Cykle/7900GTX.jpg

The card has already been RMA'ed to newegg for a full refund of my money, which came through the other day. Mistake? Well with the non exsistant availablity of 7900 GTX's, im beginning to think i should have played the lotery with XFX and RMA'ed my card through them. Here is what was happenening, take a look for yourself. Sorry about the first pic but i was getting hard lock ups after a couple hours of gamming and had no other way to show the corruption that occured after it locked up. Anyway sorry im late to this thread, I just discoverd hardocp yesterday.

Cheers,
Scott

Lock up Corruption: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Spin_Cykle/Corruption.jpg

The artifacting: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Spin_Cykle/corruption2.jpg

Here were my scores for 3dmark:

03' : 21,581

05' : 10,010

06' : 4,950

Hey SpinCykle,

Did you get a full refund from newegg or minus the 15% ? I dont know yet about what to do since the cards are out of stock everywhere :(

Juic3 said:
Hey SpinCykle,

Did you get a full refund from newegg or minus the 15% ? I dont know yet about what to do since the cards are out of stock everywhere :(

They gave me a full refund and paid 15$ for the shipping back to CA. Im really thinking about getting a reg. clocked evga card as they are in stock at a couple online retailers.

SpinCykle said:
They gave me a full refund and paid 15$ for the shipping back to CA. Im really thinking about getting a reg. clocked evga card as they are in stock at a couple online retailers.

My plan as well, howd you get them to not charge the 15%, theyve been charging me for it even though the parts were not working right out of the factory.

Juic3 said:
My plan as well, howd you get them to not charge the 15%, theyve been charging me for it even though the parts were not working right out of the factory.

I was fairly presistant with them and spoke with a supervisor. Plain and simple it was not my fault the card was defective, so why should I incure charges. Supervisor agreed and was happy to help me.

If you don't want to pay a restocking fee for defective items, you have to call them. The on-line RMA process automatically adds the 15% restocking fee. Talking to them on the phone, no restocking fee.

More users are reporting issues with the 7900's and their A8N32 board... I'm going to take the liberty and say that the A8N32 is the entire cause of this problem and that it's a junk board.

So far everyone who's swapped boards haven't had this issue, it seems like if the issue still continues it's a bad card.

I recommend people to just RMA their boards and get something like the MSI Diamond Plus instead which has been confirmed working by a few members including myself.

SpinCykle,

I think your card is messed up. It's going to be hard getting another 7900GTX, you should have called them and requested a specific exchange in that you can get another model first thing before it goes up for sale.

Ockie said:
More users are reporting issues with the 7900's and their A8N32 board... I'm going to take the liberty and say that the A8N32 is the entire cause of this problem and that it's a junk board.

So far everyone who's swapped boards haven't had this issue, it seems like if the issue still continues it's a bad card.

I recommend people to just RMA their boards and get something like the MSI Diamond Plus instead which has been confirmed working by a few members including myself.

I have to disagree completely with you here. I have an A8N32 with dual 7900GTX's (overclocked to 680core/1800mem) and the system absolutly rips. My only problem has been feeding the system enough juice, which I quickly solved. :) Just because 5 or 6 people, on an enhtusiast message board, report a problem does not mean it's a "junk board". That's just rediculous to claim such things. BTW if you look at any review of the MSI board, the A8N32 still outperforms it. So switching boards is technically a "downgrade."

So far the issues have been, for the most part, with the Superclock cards.

I've been waiting to post this as I was still researching my problem but I'm now against the wall.

My system:
AMD64 4400+ X2 Toledo Core
Asus A8N32-SLI 16x
4GB GSkill DDR500
EVGA 7900GTX EGS
2x320GB WD Sata-2 in Raid 0
Soundblaster X-FI Platnium
Swifttech APEX Watercooling kit V1.0 (Storm cooler)
NEC DVD Writer
Thermaltake Purepower 680W 2.0 Power Supply

I am running Windows XP Pro x64 edition to take advantage of all 4 gigs of RAM and possible x64 apps.

Problems: With the latest Asus mobo bios I was randomly hard locking for seemingly no reason. I could just be staring at the desktop and I would lock. Browsing files, surfing, etc. Upgrading the Video drivers didn't help much though the beta 83.xx that I found at Guru3D seemed to help a bit.

Solution: People here said that the 7xx Asus mobo bios was somewhat working. So I flashed my system down to those bios drivers and I am somewhat stable. With the AMD x64 patch I can actually run some of my games like Quake 4 with no problems though I cannot get WoW to load no matter what I do. I tried everything in another post about dual core gaming with no luck.

Other problems: New Nvidia drivers for x32 OS came out and people here saying that all is well. So I reformatted and loaded in XP x32. Updated my mobo bios back to the latest one and bam, unstable system again. Grabbed all the latest drivers for my chipset, video, sound and still very unstable. Nothing will really run including Quake 4 which I just previously ran.

So back to x64 like I described above. I called EVGA about my problem and they are RMAing my board. I checked all of my temps and power supply and they are all fine. Now I am new when it comes to dual cores so some of gaming problems might be related to that but I am definitly seeing some funky stuff. I didn't not overclock my system or video card. I even lowered the clocks on the 7900GTX just to see if that would make me stable with no luck.

Did I miss anything? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Ockie said:
SpinCykle,

I think your card is messed up. It's going to be hard getting another 7900GTX, you should have called them and requested a specific exchange in that you can get another model first thing before it goes up for sale.

I tried that with newegg and they told me that since they didnt have anymore XFX cards instock that all they could do was refund my money unless i wanted to resolve the matter with XFX personally. I then asked if i could just recieve an Evga Superclocked card as soon as they came in stock. To which they replied, " Our stock is a frist come first server basis and there are no waiting lists." Even if you use the auto-notify option that still doesn't guarntee you a card. In fact the sup. told me that if you wait for the auto-notify email chances are you will never get the card. Thousands of people use the auto-notify and by the time they mass email everyone 90% of the time the card/item is out of stock already.

BTW since you have two "ummm" cards and i have "ohh" 600$ burning a hole in my pocket, how bout a trade?

Ockie said:

I'm going to take the liberty to say you don't know what you are talking about.

My setup has not one single issue with the A8N32 and a pair of OC'd 7900GTXs at 690mhz. In fact, I can bring them past 710mhz with no problems. It has never crashed once running any benchmark or game after many hours of play.

jacuzz1 said:
This may have been mentioned before but I will say it anyway. This whole thing reminds me of issue i had with an Aussu 9800xt and i found out it was my creative drivers. I am noticing alot of the guys who had issues had xfi cards and A8nsli32 boards. Could there be something there?
Oh yes, I guess I should have posted. My job got in the way of my post whoring :(

Anyhoo, there is a confirmed bug with the X-Fi Xtrememusic and Platinum cards and the NF4 platform. The Fatal1ty FPS and Elite Pro do not have this problem, according to Creative. I am not sure if it is with every NF4 chipset, or just particular iterations. However, I believe Creative released a driver to rectify this issue, and motherboard manufacturers are also working to resolve this issue.

My recomendation? If you have an X-Fi, update your drivers.

Ockie said:

I have a brand new MSI K8N diamond Plus motherboard and my eVGA 7900GTX SC does not work properly with it.

Nor did my previous MSI board. It is not a mobo incompatability issue here.

I also have no problems with 2 XFX Geforce 7900 GTX cards (710mhz core and 900mhz mem) and the Asus A8N32 SLI and SB X-FI Xtreme Music.

Games running smoothly without any problems or lock ups.

I think that some of the guys with problems, should check their power supply or their display cards for heat issues.

PS> I know a guy who has a K8N Diamond Plus and 2 Geforce 7900 GTX card and he has lock ups too. Well he had some lock ups before the Geforce 7900 GTX cards released but that is a different matter.

Wow, lots of dumb people on the forums.

This issue is for the SUPERCLOCKED video cards or their equivalents, not a low budget GTX. The A8N32 has been confirmed working with all other cards, start reading the thread for once.

All I know is that I have no lockups and neither does tons of other people by replacing their boards. Maybe it was a bad batch or something, who knows, the fact remains that it was the board that caused these problems and its all gone now. I have more computer hardware (especially motherboards) than most of you will ever have and I could not reproduce this issue with any other board other than the two A8N32-SLI's I have. The A8N-SLI Deluxe and Premuim works fine, DFI DR Expert and non Expert works fine, the Master2-FAR Dual Opteron SLI board works fine. Just because you have ONE board which worked for you becuase you are so blessed from above doesn't mean that the issue isn't invalid anymore... as you can read in these posts I kept denying myself that it was the board because just like you all I didn't want to believe it... however I don't go into chronic denial like some others here.

As for my problems, they are all gone, so I guess I wont post back here anymore because this thread is tainted by people in denial and completley affects the end result when others are trying to find a solution and everyone else is trying to see a link here.

As for the X-Fi link, that is quite interesting, however I don't think it's related since there were a lot of people having this problem with Fatal1ty cards too. I'm going to guess and say that it's playing ball with other members, however I do not think it's directly related to the problem at hand. Interesting non-theless and shouldn't be discounted yet.

Manoj said:
I also have no problems with 2 XFX Geforce 7900 GTX cards (710mhz core and 900mhz mem) and the Asus A8N32 SLI and SB X-FI Xtreme Music.

Not the Superclocked cards...

Manoj said:
Games running smoothly without any problems or lock ups.

Thats because your not using the superclocked cards...

Manoj said:
I think that some of the guys with problems, should check their power supply or their display cards for heat issues.

PSU wasn't the issue as confirmed by many using PC&P PSU's, heat was an issue for quite a few people because of the close spacing of the A8N32-SLI... hence problems related to that board with its design.

Manoj said:
PS> I know a guy who has a K8N Diamond Plus and 2 Geforce 7900 GTX card and he has lock ups too. Well he had some lock ups before the Geforce 7900 GTX cards released but that is a different matter.

So he had lockups before these cards? Well then that issue is completley irrelavant because this issue is about the 7900gtx superclocked cards and issues found now.

Crazy Chuckster said:
I have a brand new MSI K8N diamond Plus motherboard and my eVGA 7900GTX SC does not work properly with it.

Nor did my previous MSI board. It is not a mobo incompatability issue here.

Here we go, a real problem.

Have you tried each card on its own to confirm a bad card? You most likley have a bad card since you tried it on more than one board, what about PSU?

JTA said:
I'm going to take the liberty to say you don't know what you are talking about.

My setup has not one single issue with the A8N32 and a pair of OC'd 7900GTXs at 690mhz. In fact, I can bring them past 710mhz with no problems. It has never crashed once running any benchmark or game after many hours of play.

Superclocked cards? Nope... next!

What is the performance difference between the standard evga 7900gtx and the superclock? I know it lists it as having about 4gb more memory bandwidth, but in terms of overall performance in 3dmark and games, is it a considerable amount? Also is it possible that evga has a serious problem with the superclocks?

The Equalizer said:
What is the performance difference between the standard evga 7900gtx and the superclock? I know it lists it as having about 4gb more memory bandwidth, but in terms of overall performance in 3dmark and games, is it a considerable amount? Also is it possible that evga has a serious problem with the superclocks?

The performance isn't that much greater, you can overclock a regular gtx to those speeds, however, your not guranteed those speeds.

As for the SC question, yeah that is entirely a real possibility and evga is looking into it, however most users problems were solved by shifting their hardware around. Some had bad cards, some had overheating, some power, and some board issues... and then you had the combination of it. But being a problem with the SC is entirley possible, however it has been solved in many ways especially with board swapping and quite a few users haven't had the problem since they swapped out boards or couldn't replicate the same issue on other boards.

Two friends and myself had the problem but by swapping out from the A8N32 it solved our problems, I advised this to online folks and so did another member .wiggles. and those users haven't had the problem except for one who posted earlier in this thread, however the results to that is still unclear.

Ockie said:
The performance isn't that much greater, you can overclock a regular gtx to those speeds, however, your not guranteed those speeds.

As for the SC question, yeah that is entirely a real possibility and evga is looking into it, however most users problems were solved by shifting their hardware around. Some had bad cards, some had overheating, some power, and some board issues... and then you had the combination of it. But being a problem with the SC is entirley possible, however it has been solved in many ways especially with board swapping and quite a few users haven't had the problem since they swapped out boards or couldn't replicate the same issue on other boards.

Two friends and myself had the problem but by swapping out from the A8N32 it solved our problems, I advised this to online folks and so did another member .wiggles. and those users haven't had the problem except for one who posted earlier in this thread, however the results to that is still unclear.

So considering the difference between the superclock and the standard card is marginal, is it probably a safer bet to just get a standard? Have there been any known issues with the standard evga 7900gtx? I've been pondering this ever since the 9th of March when they came out, and I was going to buy an x1900xtx but heard about it's heat issues so decided on a 7900gtx instead.

The Equalizer said:
So considering the difference between the superclock and the standard card is marginal, is it probably a safer bet to just get a standard? Have there been any known issues with the standard evga 7900gtx? I've been pondering this ever since the 9th of March when they came out, and I was going to buy an x1900xtx but heard about it's heat issues so decided on a 7900gtx instead.

Yeah a normal one wouldn't be bad to go with, especially if you want to save money and overclock. There are no known issues with the other evga cards. I've heard that leadtek is also pretty good in terms of availibility, cost, and the performance to cost ratio.

Well I have read in some threads here and a few other websites that a few people like me who are running the non-OC'ed GTXs are also having problems that are very similar to the SC ones. My buddy has a A8N-SLI mobo so I will try out my GTX on his machine to see if there are any problems. Else I will be picking up an MSI board since for many people that seems to have fixed their problems.

And as far as the XI-FI cards are concerned, I removed mine and still had lock-ups. So either I am having a combination of problems or it is just unrelated.

Ockie said:
Not the Superclocked cards...

Thats because your not using the superclocked cards...

PSU wasn't the issue as confirmed by many using PC&P PSU's, heat was an issue for quite a few people because of the close spacing of the A8N32-SLI... hence problems related to that board with its design.

So he had lockups before these cards? Well then that issue is completley irrelavant because this issue is about the 7900gtx superclocked cards and issues found now.

My 2 XFX Geforce 7900 GTX cards are Extreme version (690mhz core and 875mhz mem).

Guys here is the thing.

My system runs stable with an AThlon FX 60 @ 3.1Ghz and 2 XFX GEforce 7900 GTX Extreme (690mhz core and 875mhz mem as default).

However, when I try to detect the max clock speeds through coolbits, it does nothing and the clock speeds remains the same. I then manually overclocked the cards using powerstrip and it was find benchmarking at 720mhz core and 900mhz mem, but my results were slightly lower than what it was like when running at default clock speeds of 690mhz core and 875mhz mem.

The GPU temp is not high. It is idling around 35 degrees C. I am guessing it is a voltage issue.

My XFX GEforce 7900 GTX Extreme must be just having enough voltage to run at the default clock speeds Or it is just that the XFX bios has locked the cards from overclocking any further than the default overclocked clock speeds?

Anyway, I am happy that the cards run fine at default overclocked clock speeds.

Manoj said:
Guys here is the thing.

My system runs stable with an AThlon FX 60 @ 3.1Ghz and 2 XFX GEforce 7900 GTX Extreme (690mhz core and 875mhz mem as default).

However, when I try to detect the max clock speeds through coolbits, it does nothing and the clock speeds remains the same. I then manually overclocked the cards using powerstrip and it was find benchmarking at 720mhz core and 900mhz mem, but my results were slightly lower than what it was like when running at default clock speeds of 690mhz core and 875mhz mem.

The GPU temp is not high. It is idling around 35 degrees C. I am guessing it is a voltage issue.

My XFX GEforce 7900 GTX Extreme must be just having enough voltage to run at the default clock speeds Or it is just that the XFX bios has locked the cards from overclocking any further than the default overclocked clock speeds?

Anyway, I am happy that the cards run fine at default overclocked clock speeds.

That also went away when I replaced the board. Also something is funky with coolbits for a lot of people.

Ockie said:
Here we go, a real problem.

Have you tried each card on its own to confirm a bad card? You most likley have a bad card since you tried it on more than one board, what about PSU?

I only have the single card for now and only tried it in the first slot on each board.

PSU is a PC Power & Cooling 850 so unless that is a wimpy PSU I dont think that is the issue.

My RMA will be here on Friday so we shall see if the new card works properly.

WCES Ryan said:
Oh yes, I guess I should have posted. My job got in the way of my post whoring :(

Anyhoo, there is a confirmed bug with the X-Fi Xtrememusic and Platinum cards and the NF4 platform. The Fatal1ty FPS and Elite Pro do not have this problem, according to Creative. I am not sure if it is with every NF4 chipset, or just particular iterations. However, I believe Creative released a driver to rectify this issue, and motherboard manufacturers are also working to resolve this issue.

My recomendation? If you have an X-Fi, update your drivers.

Which ones are you talking about? The Nov 15th 2005 ones?
If not please provide linky.

Well Im sending one back to newegg, how long do you guys think itll take to get a replacement, evga sc model.

There is one major difference between the EVGA SC and other factory OC'd cards, like XFX. The EVGA SC uses a 50 Mhz delta on top of the 690 MHz clock for a 740 MHz net vertex clock. An XFX Extreme 690 Mhz only has a 15 MHz delta for 705 Mhz net. It needs to be clocked to 725 just to be at the same vertex core clock as the EVGA. So,all the XFX Extreme owners mentioning 700 plus core clocks and no issues need to be at 725 just to compare.

I am not sure of PEG is still a component of the current ASUS boards. This automatic overclock of the video cards can be pose problems. If it's there, make sure it is disabled.

My two cents.

Juic3 said:
Well Im sending one back to newegg, how long do you guys think itll take to get a replacement, evga sc model.

A long time, they are doing first come first serve and they are always backordered.

HeavyH20 said:
There is one major difference between the EVGA SC and other factory OC'd cards, like XFX. The EVGA SC uses a 50 Mhz delta on top of the 690 MHz clock for a 740 MHz net vertex clock. An XFX Extreme 690 Mhz only has a 15 MHz delta for 705 Mhz net. It needs to be clocked to 725 just to be at the same vertex core clock as the EVGA. So,all the XFX Extreme owners mentioning 700 plus core clocks and no issues need to be at 725 just to compare.

I am not sure of PEG is still a component of the current ASUS boards. This automatic overclock of the video cards can be pose problems. If it's there, make sure it is disabled.

My two cents.

Are the default clock speeds for EVGA SC 690mhz core and 880mhz mem.

http://www.evga.com/articles/279.asp

http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/512-P2-N575.pdf

It doesn't mention about 50mhz delta. Where is this info where 740mhz can be achieved?

Manoj said:
Are the default clock speeds for EVGA SC 690mhz core and 880mhz mem.

http://www.evga.com/articles/279.asp

http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/512-P2-N575.pdf

It doesn't mention about 50mhz delta. Where is this info where 740mhz can be achieved?

They will not advertise the 50 MHz delta in any spec. That is why XFX can claim the 690 clock as well as EVGA when both cards are quite different. You need to check the BIOS to see what the delta is. Or, you can use Rivatuner to log your clock settings when you hit a 3D application.

Basically, the 690 core clock is the control clock that the vertex and ROP/Shader cores are calculated against. It has been that way since the first 7800 GTX cards arrived. They used 40 MHz on the early cards, 50 Mhz on some factory OC'd cards, no delta on the 7800 GTX 512, and now 50 Mhz on the 7900 GTX.

Thank you for the information Heavy. Very cool. This explains why Superclocked EVGA does so well at very high resolutions. This card is a beast and I would recomend it to anyone.

Hey there everybody,

I'm having artifacting on my eVGA 7900GTX SC as well. Already RMA'd w/ evga, cross shipment but havent heard anything after I sent in my CC auth. I can run 650/800 and everything is peechy. My case is extremely cool, so I'm not sure it's a heat issue. I have a 130+CFM fan for intake and one for exhaust, running at full speed and another 100+CFM fan blowing directly on the center of both vga cards. The #1 card peaks at 59C while #2 is 54C ish.

The odd thing is that these cards ran FINE for about 45 min when I first got them and tested them solo. Then they started artifacting. This might be why they are getting by QA. I used AS5 on my first card for core/memory. Artifacting is still persisting.

I really feel like these cards are damaging themselves in some way.... *shrug*

I RMA'd a pair of XFX 7800 GTX (256) that were factory OC'd @ 490/1300 because of artifacting as well. They barley artifacted, mostly in the opening sequence of FEAR where the 3 operative briefing. There were flittering shadows on the chick and the boss guy's hands.

Now with the 7900s, the artifacting is all over the place, shadows, textures... the works. (I think this indicates mem and core artifacting, not sure though).

Obliv runs amazing at 2560x1600 though, even at the underclocked ref speeds of 650/800. Only details I have turned down are the self shadows and grass shadows. Even set grids to 10 in the .cfg file.

It just pains me to have to cripple cards I paid $600 for when I could have picked up PNY reference cards for under $500.

I saw on the nzone website a list of rated PSUs. They list only a handful for the 7800 series, because of the consumption (sli obviously). So that might explain why the XFX cards were misbehaving, but does that apply to the 7900s too? My PSU is on the generic SLI list but not the elite SLI PSU list that I mentioned above.http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone2_build.html

[[see my post later in this thread for another PSU issue stemming from this article]]

I'm not yet convinced that the mobo is the problem; I believe that switching to a diamond will probably fix the artifacting, but I also believe that there is a way to get the asus 32 delux to work as well. I'd have to know it was absolutely a problem w/ the mobo before I junked it, as it's running cool now, everything's powered well.

Well, this mobo does give the CPU twice as much power as a normal mobo... would that perhaps be taking away from the juice hitting the gpu cards? Just a thought.

Any thoughts on the PSU or other things to try?

Thanks in advance.

New to forums, my siggy didnt pop up, had specs in it *shrug*

3007WFP, Viewsonic VP912b
AMD A64 4400+ X2 w/ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED
2x EVGA 7900GTX Superclocked (underclocked to 650/800 :mad: )
Asus A8N32-SLI Delux
Corsair TWINX2048-3500LLPRO 2GB Kit DDR433 XMS3500
Raptor 74gig x2 raid 0
SB Live Audigy 2 ZS Platinum,Logitech® Z-5500 Digital
Antec p180 / Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550
Razer Copperhead / Saitek Keyboard

Montresor said:
Hey there everybody,

I'm having artifacting on my eVGA 7900GTX SC as well. Already RMA'd w/ evga, cross shipment but havent heard anything after I sent in my CC auth. I can run 650/800 and everything is peechy. My case is extremely cool, so I'm not sure it's a heat issue. I have a 130+CFM fan for intake and one for exhaust, running at full speed and another 100+CFM fan blowing directly on the center of both vga cards. The #1 card peaks at 59C while #2 is 54C ish.

The odd thing is that these cards ran FINE for about 45 min when I first got them and tested them solo. Then they started artifacting. This might be why they are getting by QA. I used AS5 on my first card for core/memory. Artifacting is still persisting.

I really feel like these cards are damaging themselves in some way.... *shrug*

I RMA'd a pair of XFX 7800 GTX (256) that were factory OC'd @ 490/1300 because of artifacting as well. They barley artifacted, mostly in the opening sequence of FEAR where the 3 operative briefing. There were flittering shadows on the chick and the boss guy's hands.

Now with the 7900s, the artifacting is all over the place, shadows, textures... the works. (I think this indicates mem and core artifacting, not sure though).

Obliv runs amazing at 2560x1600 though, even at the underclocked ref speeds of 650/800. Only details I have turned down are the self shadows and grass shadows. Even set grids to 10 in the .cfg file.

It just pains me to have to cripple cards I paid $600 for when I could have picked up PNY reference cards for under $500.

I saw on the nzone website a list of rated PSUs. They list only a handful for the 7800 series, because of the consumption (sli obviously). So that might explain why the XFX cards were misbehaving, but does that apply to the 7900s too? My PSU is on the generic SLI list but not the elite SLI PSU list that I mentioned above.http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone2_build.html

I'm not yet convinced that the mobo is the problem; I believe that switching to a diamond will probably fix the artifacting, but I also believe that there is a way to get the asus 32 delux to work as well. I'd have to know it was absolutely a problem w/ the mobo before I junked it, as it's running cool now, everything's powered well.

Well, this mobo does give the CPU twice as much power as a normal mobo... would that perhaps be taking away from the juice hitting the gpu cards? Just a thought.

Any thoughts on the PSU or other things to try?

Thanks in advance.

did you run cool bits, I have not and will not just in case thats doing it

I added the DWORD Coolbits to the Nvtweak section under general, nvidia, hardware in the registry.

Used value 1a as per the nvidia guy's advice on www.nzone.com

it enables the sli rendering options and the clock frequency adjustments.

If it wernt for the artifacting, I wouldnt have to enable this. I only use it to underclock the cards so they won't artifact.

BTW I ran the PSU test that is linked here, where you run doom3 at 1600x1200 with 16xaa at ultra details. It ran like crap, but it didnt crash after 30 min, so it might not be a PSU thang. *shrug*

Back