Explain to me how a cd does this?

Zlash

2[H]4U
According to the user they went to lunch and came back and tried to eject thier cd...
cd1.jpg
cd2.jpg

Many people post this...it just happens. Sometime it's just caused by the disc not being perfectly leveled in the drive or the disc not being perfectly flat.

Spinning a CD at high speeds exposes it to strong forces. Any hairline fractures which exist in the material are made worse by the stress on it, even more so if the CD is not perfectly balanced, i.e. it's vibrating slightly.

At some point these hairline fractures will expand to the point where the CD is ripped apart by the forces acting upon it, causing the above result.

Uh thats a lot of force to be shattering a cd like that. I don't know if i could do that within 10 wacks with a hammer.

Zlash said:
Uh thats a lot of force to be shattering a cd like that. I don't know if i could do that within 10 wacks with a hammer.
i have done that by throwing them agisnt a wall they shatter like glass if hit right...

the problem is there is no way to fix this rare occurance unless you use a 8x or slower drive...The possiblity increases with the speed of the drive you almost never hear of this happening in 24x and lower drives in 40x and up you hear of it occuring more and more

i think the most times it occurs is in a 52x drive since they are more wide spread than a 72x drive. i have herd a few happening in a 48x and 40x drives as well but not as often as i hear it happening to a 52x drive...

According to the user they went to lunch and came back and tried to eject thier cd...
I do believe them. It can happen for the reasons stated above. It's similar to how your car windows can shatter from too much heat build up in your car.

Gotta be really really cheap media, we have over a 1000 pcs here at work and i've never seen a CD break like that.

It's really rare, yeah, but have you seen how some people treat their CDs and then are baffled when they skip or won't read?

Zlash said:

Then you must be really really weak..

Here's how it happens

Step 1) Cd develops tiny (1mm) crack, scratch, or dent.
Step 2) Cd is inserted
Step 3) Cd is spun at 20,000 RPMs\
Step 4) CD Explodes

I've had at least 30 'exploded' cd's in my time. I've had 3 cd's MELT in a drive, as well.
I've had two cd's seperate into two perfectly intact disks [not readable, mind you]

Lunas said:
i think the most times it occurs is in a 52x drive since they are more wide spread than a 72x drive.

THe zen "TruX 52X and 72X" drives don't actually spin at 52x or 72x.. that's why they are quite.. they spin at a much slower rate..

The 52x spins at the speed of a 8-10X drive and has *7* pickup lasers.

The 72x spins at the speed of a 12X drive, and has *8* pickup lasers.

Consequently, they have ~70x and ~96x of data collection. However, due to the overhead of their technology, they lose something in the translation : resulting in the 52x and 72x reported speeds.

I've owned both of these drives.
On my 52X, Ms-Office would install in 71 seconds. [that was office 2000, not XP, or 2003]
On my 72X, I could install half-life in 45 seconds. :)

However.. they both had one serious issue [two, actually]

DAE was limited to "single laser" performance -- so.. that magic 52x or 72x was more like 9x to 12x...

Additional problem was if a disk had any IMPERFECTION, the drive would get confused, and lock my system up HARD.

Hence,. I have switched to 16X DVD Drives which run stable and quite, and give me real world performance of about ~15 megabytes a second. or.. ~100X CD-Rom speed. I do not use cd-rom disks much anymore : Maybe ONCE because I image all my disks [including audio cd's] and put my originals away in a safe place.

Laforge said:
Bigger screen : Faster Computer : Faster Internet Connection : Be [H]ard!
Sorry I can't afford an LCD larger than 15 inches. And pictures too wide for 1024x768 should be shrunk. Irfanview is free to download and simple to use to boot.

MaMMa said:
qwertyman did it ;)
hey! i read this thread by chance, anyway i've done what others users have done stomp on it. and i have heard that 52x and higher drives will destroy a cd on very very rare occasions as every one else has pointed out.

Qwertyman said:
hey! i read this thread by chance, anyway i've done what others users have done stomp on it. and i have heard that 52x and higher drives will destroy a cd on very very rare occasions as every one else has pointed out.

It's true, 48x is the highest "safe-spin" speed, and most burners won't let you burn past this speed.

GJSNeptune said:
Sorry I can't afford an LCD larger than 15 inches. And pictures too wide for 1024x768 should be shrunk. Irfanview is free to download and simple to use to boot.

truth, it's not hard/expensive to resize

Laforge said:
THe zen "TruX 52X and 72X" drives don't actually spin at 52x or 72x.. that's why they are quite.. they spin at a much slower rate..

The 52x spins at the speed of a 8-10X drive and has *7* pickup lasers.

The 72x spins at the speed of a 12X drive, and has *8* pickup lasers.

Consequently, they have ~70x and ~96x of data collection. However, due to the overhead of their technology, they lose something in the translation : resulting in the 52x and 72x reported speeds.

I've owned both of these drives.
On my 52X, Ms-Office would install in 71 seconds. [that was office 2000, not XP, or 2003]
On my 72X, I could install half-life in 45 seconds. :)

However.. they both had one serious issue [two, actually]

DAE was limited to "single laser" performance -- so.. that magic 52x or 72x was more like 9x to 12x...

Additional problem was if a disk had any IMPERFECTION, the drive would get confused, and lock my system up HARD.

Hence,. I have switched to 16X DVD Drives which run stable and quite, and give me real world performance of about ~15 megabytes a second. or.. ~100X CD-Rom speed. I do not use cd-rom disks much anymore : Maybe ONCE because I image all my disks [including audio cd's] and put my originals away in a safe place.
kenwood has ceased production of the tru 72 and tru 52 due to increased cost and high failure rate of the drives...

now as for my above post on it happens in higher speed drives i was not refering to the multi lasered beauties the tru series is. I am refering to the white label and off the shelf one laser jobs that sound like jets taking off. These are the things that come in dell and compaq and hp systems most businesses have and some people have when combined with damaged or flawed or even really cheap stuff they will shatter discs...a friend of mine had it happen to his emachine. he said it sounded like a gunshot and he and my brother removed a large number of shredded plastic...

when i was a tech at best buy, we had this one lady who that happened to three times in a single week.
Each time she came back we replaced the drive with a totally different drive, and each time it was a different kind of cd that did it (one was a burned cd, another was a music cd, etc.)

after the 3rd time we were getting a little suspicious, but we never did figure out wtf she was doing

You do know that most drives nowadays have really thick plastic bezels to prevent the shards from ripping throught the front of the drive and nailing some idiot. :rolleyes:

We had a guy bring in a CD that was cracked from center to edge. He was of questionable intelligence, but was at least smart enough to ask if it would be safe. We told him no, kiss it goodbye. He obviously wasn't that smart as he thought it would be ok to "tape" the CD and try it... :confused: That was one of only two times that I have seen it.

Like stated above, it is always due to improper weight distribution causing the disk to wobble or the disk is cracked (it doesn't take a large split either)

Back