External HD issues, I blame the Mac

bucket

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an external Lacie 1TB hard drive I used to have hooked up to my Samsung 1080p full of movies. It was a cool setup, and it worked great. I loaned the drive out to a friend that needed it for a video production project on his Mac. He reformatted it so the Mac OS would play nice with the drive.

When I got the drive back Windows 7 couldn't see it, as I expected would happen so I installed Linux Mint on a flash drive and reformatted the external drive to FAT 32,(I didn't see an NTFS option). Once I was able to see the drive in Windows 7 I then reformatted the drive to NTFS so that I could get around the FAT 32 file size limit and put some movies I had ripped to .MKV on it. The problem is my TV will see the drive but it says there's nothing on it and when I bring up the properties it doesn't list anything like it did before. I have a 16 gig flash drive NTFS format that works just fine so I know it's not the TV.

I am hoping the TV can't see the drive anymore do to it being formatted for a Mac at one time, but I don't see anything weird on the drive and I have reformatted it a couple times, including FAT 32.

Wow, that was a lot of typing, and I'm not sure this is even in the right section.

Any ideas?

Get your friend to run the Mac Disk Utility on it and set the partition type back to MBR, and also erase the disk with it. Then Windows will be able to use it properly.

Back