Facebook Solves A Crime

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know it may be hard to believe, but Facebook actually helped the authorities catch a crook! See, Facebook isn’t all bad. Hit the link for the whole story.

Deputies asked the victim if they knew who the owner of the suspicious truck was and the victim looked up the name on Facebook and found the owner of the truck had a boyfriend who resembled the suspect. OCSO investigators identified Daniel Edward Fair from the surveillance video and Facebook. The 27-year-old surrendered at the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office.

That sounds like horrible police work to me. The police had the vehicle used in the crime, and had the name of the owner of the vehicle yet had to ask the victims if they knew the person and have the victims themselve look and see the owner of the get away vehicle had a boyfriend that looked like the person that robbed them.

The police should have been able to look up the name, go question her, find out she had a boyfriend and see that he fit the description. Or at the very least THEY should have looked online to find the suspect. forcing a victim to do all the footwork and find the person that robbed them on their own is piss poor police work.

Cool that a service so many despise actually becomes useful in certain situations.

While this would normally be the proper procedure, who says that the girlfriend wouldn't warn her boyfriend that the police were coming for him? The girlfriend could be as crooked as the boyfriend. Not saying she is but it is a possibility...

The police should have been able to look up the name, go question her, find out she had a boyfriend and see that he fit the description. Or at the very least THEY should have looked online to find the suspect. forcing a victim to do all the footwork and find the person that robbed them on their own is piss poor police work.

This is horrible. How can we go on with people stealing from one's truck?
I feel ashamed for being a cracker.

Cool that a service so many despise actually becomes useful in certain situations.

While this would normally be the proper procedure, who says that the girlfriend wouldn't warn her boyfriend that the police were coming for him? The girlfriend could be as crooked as the boyfriend. Not saying she is but it is a possibility...

That is why you hold her while looking for him. You have a robbery with video that shows her vehicle was used. They could at least hold her overnight. also who is to say that the boyfriend wasn't there with her at her place already.

that said, i don't have a problem with facebook being used, i have a problem with the police not looking on their own but instead forceing the victims to solve the crime on their own.

That sounds like horrible police work to me. The police had the vehicle used in the crime, and had the name of the owner of the vehicle yet had to ask the victims if they knew the person and have the victims themselve look and see the owner of the get away vehicle had a boyfriend that looked like the person that robbed them.

It sounds like something that transpired in 5 minutes.
People are often robbed by people they know, it's good police work to ask if they know a suspect.

Shit, I love close by to there...

(A lot of) Police are stupid around here!

So let me get this straight. When the police ASK THE VICTIM if they know the owner of the truck, and the victim goes and looks them up on facebook, that's somehow shitty police work?

No, wait ma'am, don't pull out that smartphone! Leave it to us, we'll canvas the neighborhood and start the expensive lab-work. No need to use a readily available tool to check if you know the owner of the van.

The only good thing that has came out of Facebook.

And it only took how many years ?

Back