Facebook To Launch Verified Accounts, Pseudonyms

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess you should feel honored if Facebook notifies you that you are eligible for a verified account. The population of Facebook is going to drop drastically though after all the non-verified "celebrity accounts" are outed by this. ;)

Facebook will manually approve alternative names to make sure individuals are really the celebrities, politicians, journalists, and so on they claim they are. Those with verified accounts will also gain more prominent placement in Facebook’s “People To Subscribe To” suggestions.

VPoWu.png

Oh hell no!

VPoWu.png

Oh hell no!

Makes me feel and look like I'm at a police station getting a mug shot taken.Which in all probability you are except this is voluntary. Lets see how many lemmings take the bait and jump off the cliff.

Just when you thought they couldn't push the envelope any further in the wrong direction, they do! /soulclap to you facebook

Oh my god. So is this 1984 or Brave New World when people willingly submit government-issued IDs to companies so they can prove, "Yes, I actually have that many Facebook friends!"?

Oh my god. So is this 1984 or Brave New World when people willingly submit government-issued IDs to companies so they can prove, "Yes, I actually have that many Facebook friends!"?

I'm a broken record when I say: Those two books weren't supposed to be instruction manuals.

This is a genuinely brilliant and foolproof idea. It's absolutely not possible to forge or alter a scanned image of some identification.

Yes, my name really is Richard Smellmybutt. Why do you ask?

Wow, what a smart way to obtain detailed records.

Our kids are already growing up expecting this to be commonplace. :(

This also means a lot of underage accounts are going to be removed, looks like. Well the underage public figures anyways.

< Tin Foil Hat >
I wonder how long it will be before the FBI and NSA/CIA have their feelers in this data! Or if they instituted this change.

NO FACEBOOK, YOU CANNOT HAVE MY LIBRARY CARD!!!!!!!!

This is a genuinely brilliant and foolproof idea. It's absolutely not possible to forge or alter a scanned image of some identification.

Yes, my name really is Richard Smellmybutt. Why do you ask?

Ah, but that is when Facial Recognition Software kicks in.

A lot of you guys seem to be thinking this applies to everyone, or can be applied to anyone at random. This is only targeting public figures. Politicians, celebrities, sports players and so on. The current system of having to investigate each and every reported accounts for proof of identification is very counterproductive as there are possibly thousands or millions of them. This method will save a lot of time for Facebook moderators to focus on other moderating tasks.

Damn, I was thinking of investing in FB on day one of their IPO too but implementation of stuff like this I think they're trying to drive their user-base to an all new more non-data-mining platform. Cause honestly FB is looking more and more like what the FBI wishes they were...lol.

What the CIA failed to do in 60 years, Zuck has done in 7: knowing what 800 million people--more than 10% of the world's population--think, read and listen to, plus who they know, what they like and where they live, travel, vote, shop, worship. U.S. users spend more time on Facebook--on average 6.3 hours a month--than on any other site. - Forbes.com

Hmmm....

It might be time I close my own FB account down and take my data losses and move on.

Am I missing something here? All Facebook is trying to do is verify the identities of those accounts which appear to be that of a public figure and/or those who have a lot of subscribers. This is Facebook trying to clean up the garbage so it can compete with Twitter in the area of reliable and exclusive updates. It seems like most of the people in this thread probably subscribe to Alex Jones and have no need for reliable information in the first place. Not to mention how everyone missed the part of the posted image where it instructs the uploader to provide a form of identification that has all sensitive information blacked out except their name, picture, and birthday.

If you even have a Facebook account, you've already provided the whole world with two of those criteria. And if you have the most extreme privacy settings on (i.e., not being searchable), no one gives a shit about you, your face, or how old and paranoid you are. So rest easy guys, doomsday is not 'til the end of this year.

:rolleyes:

If its public figures that want to ensure people that they are who they are, I'm fine with that. I just hope, though i doubt, it will stop there.

If its public figures that want to ensure people that they are who they are, I'm fine with that. I just hope, though i doubt, it will stop there.

I agree, this year it's just them (public figures), next year or five it's way passed just FB (the initial test) but now it's just the basics for being (everywhere) online. All the naysayers today will be the same ones saying "I told you so" or telling us we shouldn't care then too (over paranoid). It's like some people keep thinking it's all normal to be clamped down on until nothing is truly private anymore.

"Your heartbeat indicates you may be in need of police assistance, please confirm blank, blank, and blank."
(over exaggeration, obviously!)

I guess it's never going here/there and I'm just crazy (tin foil hat guy), until it goes there! Then it's "duh", we all knew it was going too!

Who's going to hack facebook first and steal all of these records so people can steal other peoples identities.

Lot of people think it's cool to label others "tin foil hat" around these forums. Do I get to join the cool club too if I label people that too? GovCo is chill now, they alright. derp

Who's going to hack facebook first and steal all of these records so people can steal other peoples identities.

Business as usual, hackers will be more motivated now.

So how is this any different that what I can find using Google? I can look up pretty much any celebrity and find a picture, DOB and name to go with it.
This whole thing is aimed at celebrities and public people. It's not like they are asking for SS numbers or anything else personal.
Picture, name and DOB. Info that you can find on pretty much anyone on the net ;).

Back