FAH OpenCL Update

they are moving to more openness as well...

I'd like to think that the fact that they're announcing the end of support for older cards means that a new replacement will be up and running well before they officially EOL the old core... Hopefully thats not just wishful thinking on my part, I don't want to see our ATI bretheren to be left out in the cold while they're testing the new core

the new client can grab both cores... so you can use it on old stuff until sept. 1st

I assumed the same thing Activate. I would think worst case we will have the new client September when they shut down the old one.

But I also think we will see the new client well before then.

Hopefully this new client comes out before summer gets here in full force since I know that many folks scale down their folding due to heating and cooling concerns. The electric bills you guys were posting last summer looked to come straight out of a folding horror movie :eek:

Summer was brutal here last year. IIRC in 09 we had like 2 days over 90, and last year we had over 30. I won't be running the entire farm in that much heat.

Summer was brutal here last year. IIRC in 09 we had like 2 days over 90, and last year we had over 30. I won't be running the entire farm in that much heat.

Yeah, we had the benefit of the el-nino effect in 09 that kept the summer very pleasant(and wet) for much of the US. Of course I heard that they were absolutely baking over on the west coast, but I don't give a care about them. :D

That summer, I think we spent most of it in the upper 70's making it the most pleasant summer i've ever experienced my life in Cincinnati.

Summer '09 was ridiculous here in Seattle. The main problem here is that few people have A/C because.. well it's Seattle. Last summer was downright pleasant in comparison.

Summer '09 was ridiculous here in Seattle. The main problem here is that few people have A/C because.. well it's Seattle. Last summer was downright pleasant in comparison.

Yeah, and by comparison due to the la-nina effect, we absolutely baked in 2010 with it being just a miserable summer. My electric bill ran upto $380 in July and again in August as the a/c was constantly running. Then winter came around and we had an incredibly below average cold winter......

Yeah, and by comparison due to the la-nina effect, we absolutely baked in 2010 with it being just a miserable summer. My electric bill ran upto $380 in July and again in August as the a/c was constantly running. Then winter came around and we had an incredibly below average cold winter......

10-4 98f well into fall....

I just moved to the Seattle area last fall but was told summers here rarely break 80 degrees, 90 plus would definitely have been brutal without AC. Hopefully this summer is mild, I'm planning to run SMP year round.

Regarding the OpenCL client, I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with the Cayman chips. Anandtech makes it sounds pretty promising from a compute standpoint.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4061/amds-radeon-hd-6970-radeon-hd-6950/5

I assumed the same thing Activate. I would think worst case we will have the new client September when they shut down the old one.

But I also think we will see the new client well before then.
exactly. maybe I'm reading a bit much into it, but I'd say based on this they're pretty much giving us a deadline and that we'll be seeing the openCL client before sept

All this talk about high AC bills is exactly why I'll be moving most of my folding rigs into the basement where it stays nice and cool :)

lol its the opposite for us on the west coast.. over the last 6 years the average temps have gone down instead of up.. quite nice not dealing with 100+ summers anymore :D

exactly. maybe I'm reading a bit much into it, but I'd say based on this they're pretty much giving us a deadline and that we'll be seeing the openCL client before sept

All this talk about high AC bills is exactly why I'll be moving most of my folding rigs into the basement where it stays nice and cool :)

you will have access to the client way before september. theres going to be some very interesting news coming out in the next 2-3 weeks that will effect everyone in a very good way.

Thank god I live in a dry climate and can run a swamp cooler. I have one hanging in the window of my study. No summer FAH restrictions for me. It is a nice brisk 68 F in there most of the summer. Leaving the blower on that thing raises my utility bill up about $20 to 30 a month, nothing I can't live without.

lol its the opposite for us on the west coast.. over the last 6 years the average temps have gone down instead of up.. quite nice not dealing with 100+ summers anymore :D

Not sure where you are located but here in the bay area we had several heat waves where the temp would hit 100+. It was so hot that I rarely turned on my computer. Plus, our home that we are renting doesn't have AC since its on the water. :(

Not sure where you are located but here in the bay area we had several heat waves where the temp would hit 100+. It was so hot that I rarely turned on my computer. Plus, our home that we are renting doesn't have AC since its on the water. :(

i lived in Oakley which is on the other side of the coastal range.. first year i lived there we had 30 days of 100+ during the summer.. next year we has 22.. year after that 16.. then 11 and last year we has 6 days. but now i live in eastern washington state :D

i lived in Oakley which is on the other side of the coastal range.. first year i lived there we had 30 days of 100+ during the summer.. next year we has 22.. year after that 16.. then 11 and last year we has 6 days. but now i live in eastern washington state :D

I live in eastern washington as well,summers here can be brutal,last year not so much,but I was not folding either,I think Im gonna need a bigger window unit when the temps start to climb this year.

I live in eastern washington as well,summers here can be brutal,last year not so much,but I was not folding either,I think Im gonna need a bigger window unit when the temps start to climb this year.

where in eastern washington? i'm in airway heights..

oh btw some one with a 6970, PM please, thank you :D

just over the pass in omak

no clue where that is but i'll figure it out :D

ahh.. found it.. thats not eastern washington.. thats central washington, the only thing more east then i am is spokane valley which is 15 minutes away from me, lol.

Last edited:
lol, for those of us in the Puget Sound area anything east of Enumclaw is Eastern Washington.

Last August was one of the coldest on record IIRC. Like the first three weeks of August were 10F below normal on average or something wild like that.

Back