Faint high pitched spinning noise that isn't a fan

peacetilence

2[H]4U
I'm trying to make my case as quiet as possible but for some reason I still get a high pitched noise that sounds like a fan spinning. I'm proof positive it's not a fan though becauseI removed them all (including chipset fan) and still got the noise. It thought it might be my PSU so I removed it's fan as well and still had the noise. It's not from the GPU's, I've tested it without them in the PC.

It's weird because it sounds like it's coming from the hard drives to me. I've tried to pinpoint the problem probably 100 times today because it's driving me nuts and still couldn't figure out if it was the hard drives making this noise. I installed the hard drives using rubber gromits, had the noise, I now have them individually lying on top of pieces of felt and I still have the noise. I want my pc to be dead quiet and I've done it with fans except for the high pitched noise. Does anyone know if it's possible hard drives could make high pitched noises like this? It sounds almost exactly how a fan would sound if it were reverberating in the case except it's much quieter, higher pitched and sounds like it's coming from the hard drives. It's pitch is noticeable over the case fans and it's quite annoying since I went through the trouble of rep,acing all the fans and buying rubber gromits and stuff.

It's probably your hard drive. I have a computer with a very noisy hard drive.

Know a cost effective way to silence them? I tried the rubber grommits and suspending them on foam/felt but it doesn't get rid of the high pitched humming noise.

I was able to locate the sound coming from my main hard drive. Bought a seagate barracuda to replace it.

Know a cost effective way to silence them? I tried the rubber grommits and suspending them on foam/felt but it doesn't get rid of the high pitched humming noise.

Turning them off is the only way that I know to truly silence them. Another option is to get louder case fans, video card etc to mask that noise.

Seriously though, I've tried everything, including putting them in a variety of metal and foam padded "HDD silencers" enclosures but I could always hear that high pitched whine. I have noticed that newer HDDs are quieter.

Glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this, doesn't seem like many people do. The sound is quite annoying and noticeable over even loud case fans just because of how high pitched it is. Those rubber gromits do well to get rid of the clicking access noise but nothing for the high pitched spinning.

Back