Fan filter for a PSU

Proteos

Gawd
I have a corsair tx750 which is mounted in my cm690. This means that the PSU is mounted on the bottom of the case, pulling air in from outside the case. I want to make a filter for the fan on the PSU so it doesn't get too much dust in it. Any ideas on how to go about doing this? Btw, The fan on the PSU is a 140mm fan.

Make a frame out of stiff cardboard or plastic, and put it inside some panty hose...

Laugh all you want, but plain old panty hose from your girlfriend makes the best fan filters for your PC. It's one of the lesser known tricks in the enthusiast community... ;)

Nothing will stop extremely fine dust from getting in, but you can easily stop the bunnies and bigger particles with rectangles of foam from the hardware store or follow the suggestion above.

This may sound nuts, but you know those fabric softener sheets you put in the dryer? Use one, and then tape it on. Filters really well, and allows for good air flow. They're cheap, and you can replace them every week or so. Plus, you have that fresh mountain spring smell. :)

I used some aluminum angle (3/4 x 3/4 x 1/16 in) to make a simple frame that screws onto the case with thumb screws. The filter material is 3M Filtrete - I use the kind used to refill a plastic-framed furnace/AC air filter. I just cut it to fit the frame. I keep the pleats in the filter - that provides a lot more surface area and minimizes the reduction in flow as the filter loads up. At $15 for two 20x25 filters, that gives lots of filters in the nominal 5x5 size for a 120mm fan opening.

The frame makes it easy to remove and change the filter. The filter is designed to filter fine stuff from an air flow. You could use plastic for a frame, but cardboard would not be too robust.

Back