Fans, light and PSU stay on after shutdown

omjeremy

Limp Gawd
I've got an HP slimline computer (specs in sig, minus GPU) which has had a problem for quite some time. I've contacted HP and they think it's the CPU or RAM that I've changed to the computer, but I'm not sure that's the case. I think it might be the PSU.

So when I shut down the computer, the CPU fan, PSU and power light stay on. If I put the computer to sleep during the session then wake it and shut it down, everything shuts down fine.

Any suggestions?

I'd say motherboard isn't telling the power supply to stop, or the power supply isn't stopping when it's told do.

The CPU and RAM have nothing to do with it

Saying it's the CPU or RAM is just HP's way of shrinking responsibility I guess. Before they said it was the GPU. Silly company...
The strangest part is that it does shut down after sleeping. That I don't understand.

What CPU did you replace and with what CPU did you replace it with?

Go into the BIOS and enable s1 & s3 standby modes...

Or screw around with the standby mode settings... There is a setting that will fix this... Usually S3.

I've seen this sort of behavior on computers often when the powersupply is near it's maximum load. If you're still using the HP powersupply but upgraded the other components that may be the case.

Sorry to take so long to get back. I had to work all weekend.

I had a Pentium Dual Core e2140 and replaced it with the e6600.

I'll look in the bios again, but I don't believe I have any of those options. I mean, it is an HP bios.

I guess it could be a power issue. The HP PSU is only 180W.

Not every PC needs a 1000watt PSU. He said it had a e2140 which means it was probably built in the last 2 years.

Believe it or not, the engineers at HP might just know a bit more about how big a PSU actually needs to be over your typical forum-ineer. :rolleyes:

But yeah, the upgrade to the q6600 might have put it over it's limit. Try putting the 2140 back in and see if the problem persists.

Is this one of those little SFF thin PC's? If so, they are some pretty nice units. I have one at work, it sports a P4 2.66GHZ and is several years old and still runs great.

Some shuttles and other slim/sff pcs come with 150-250W PSUs. If you're running a celeron with onboard graphics you don't even need anywhere near that.

Yes, 180W sounds really low, but some of the HP slimlines have a 160W PSU, if you can believe that. Good thing is that HP doesn't overrate their PSUs. For most users, 180w is enough. I don't have a q6600, just an e6600 (C2D). Honestly, most video card manufacturers say that their cards require a 350w or 400w PSU, because many budget PSUs are overrated.

Yes, it is the SFF computer. HP Pavilion Slimline s3xxx series. I really like the form factor. It's a well built computer and has served me well so far. I got it for ultra cheap and upgraded it as much as I could.

Back