FAQ for Emachines M6805

no, not a laptop out right now can handle doom3 like any high end desktop will, see the other post on laptop specs for doom3, you will see that you would basically half to run it in 640x 480 with medium to play it. but im not complaining because i only game on my laptop with cs, DoD, and just some demos i like to play

ilya said:
i'm thinking of getting m6805 but as I looked it has 1.8 ghz. Is that kind of old? if not, will it be good for another 2 years.and can I play the latest games on it?

Can I get it customized?

thanks

Ghz = nothing. They matter not in terms of comparison.
It'll be good for a while... year and a half more at least for some gaming.
I can play far cry on mine... Not the graphics killers, but a lot of things play fine.

ilya said:
i'm thinking of getting m6805 but as I looked it has 1.8 ghz. Is that kind of old? if not, will it be good for another 2 years.and can I play the latest games on it?

Can I get it customized?

thanks

Well to begin with, megahertz numbers don't mean as much as they used to -both for AMD and Intel. I'm sure there are better people that can help explain how this works but even the Pentium-M processor is around the same speed -from a simple megahertz rating. The fact of the matter is this is still one damn fast machine -one of the fastest you can buy and for a pretty decent price. On top of that, this is a 64-bit processor which opens up totally new realms of performance (one WinXP-64 is finalized and more apps are optimized for 64-bit processors). Suffice it to say that these little gems may out-perform a lot of standard desktop systems out there today. But you're not going to be updating the components that much. You're highes amount of change you'll even see with this system is upgrading the ram to 1.2GB and a faster HDD (up to 7200RPM so far). Beyond that, there is nothing you can upgrade unless you're a little more brave. I've seen people upgrade the processors but I wouldn't suggest that for the fait of heart!

Can you customize it? Well, you can give it a cool paint job like they did in the movie "Hackers"! I suppose you could also add stickers, and change the desktop wallpaper!!! ;-)

i just wanted to say how much i love this lappy! 12k 3dmarks (2001) for $1200 - you really cant go wrong wiht a m6805!

For all those who have the cracked hinge problem....
Mine are getting worse and so I decided to give emachines a call and see what my options are. BTW they really do have great support......I didnt wait on hold for more than 30 sec at any time. After talking to a manager they said that I could epoxy the hinges to get a tempoary fix (without voiding the warranty), as long as that fix job did not impair the ability to open or close the screen. They are currently going to have a recall of sorts for all m6805s (dont know about other models) that were made between march and april-ish....you need to call and give your serial number to see if you qualify. A tech said that they could send a RMA box to my house as early as next wednesday, but that it could be a week or two before they decide what parts they will replace and for the parts dept. to finally be ready for demand. Thought id give yall a heads up on that.

comradeboris said:
For all those who have the cracked hinge problem....
Mine are getting worse and so I decided to give emachines a call and see what my options are. BTW they really do have great support......I didnt wait on hold for more than 30 sec at any time. After talking to a manager they said that I could epoxy the hinges to get a tempoary fix (without voiding the warranty), as long as that fix job did not impair the ability to open or close the screen. They are currently going to have a recall of sorts for all m6805s (dont know about other models) that were made between march and april-ish....you need to call and give your serial number to see if you qualify. A tech said that they could send a RMA box to my house as early as next wednesday, but that it could be a week or two before they decide what parts they will replace and for the parts dept. to finally be ready for demand. Thought id give yall a heads up on that.

that is awesome

mine was bought in january and doesn't have any cracked hinges that i can notice.

anyway, what i wanted to ask is...

right now i have the 512MB RAM and the 5400RPM 60gig hard drive.

which should i get first, 1GB RAM (for a total of 1.256GB RAM) or the 7200RPM hard drive?

heh keep an eye on it tho....i didnt think that i had the problem but they just started popping up and they grow realllly fast. i do not think that the january models are included in the defective models. my vote is for the 1gb of ram...sure u will still have the slower hard drive but you will retain some battery life from not using the faster spinning drive and the ram will greatly improve performance (esp. in games)

Well, I finally called e-machines today and they told me that it was a recognized problem and that they would send me a box and that once they received the laptop I would get it back within a week. They said that the replaced hinge covers would not crack again and that it was being fixed with a different sollution other than just giving me what I already had.
I didn't have to wait on the phone all day and customer service was really great. I also don't have to pay for shipping and the box to return it in is prepaid. That's alot better customer service than what I'm used to... Btw, I bought mine in January and didn't think I was going to have any problems with the hinges either until just a few weeks ago did the problem arise.

I just bought the M6805.

How can I tell if my HD runs at 5k or 4k?

Also, I'm having a problem with the wireless feature. I'm not sure if it's the laptop or the wireless router. Perhaps someone can help? I can connect to my wireless network just fine and I can access the internet with no problem, but after about five minutes or so the connection drops. Well, drops is the wrong word. "Refreshes" would be a better word. I'll be doing something online and then all of a sudden I get the popup that it has found a wireless network. It found mine, the one it's on, the one it's suddenly no longer connected to. I have to click it and connect to it again. It's rather annoying and this problem would not permit me to play any kind of online game because of these annoying refreshes. Has anyone had a similar experience?

I purchased mine back in Feb. and have no issues with the hinges as i can see. While i don't use mine all that much, it's great when i do. Only one question though....is the graphic card upgradable?

Arkan said:
I purchased mine back in Feb. and have no issues with the hinges as i can see. While i don't use mine all that much, it's great when i do. Only one question though....is the graphic card upgradable?

I'm afraid not. The Processor and memory is but not the graphics card.

jstevens44 said:
I just bought the M6805.

How can I tell if my HD runs at 5k or 4k?

Also, I'm having a problem with the wireless feature. I'm not sure if it's the laptop or the wireless router. Perhaps someone can help? I can connect to my wireless network just fine and I can access the internet with no problem, but after about five minutes or so the connection drops. Well, drops is the wrong word. "Refreshes" would be a better word. I'll be doing something online and then all of a sudden I get the popup that it has found a wireless network. It found mine, the one it's on, the one it's suddenly no longer connected to. I have to click it and connect to it again. It's rather annoying and this problem would not permit me to play any kind of online game because of these annoying refreshes. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Wireless -> Interferrence on the channel, change the wireless channel on the router/WAP.

HD -> Look up the drive under device manager. Google.

Blasterboy460 said:
no, not a laptop out right now can handle doom3 like any high end desktop will, see the other post on laptop specs for doom3, you will see that you would basically half to run it in 640x 480 with medium to play it. but im not complaining because i only game on my laptop with cs, DoD, and just some demos i like to play

Dell XPS with the Mobility 9800

Try again.

Zorlofe said:
Well, I finally called e-machines today and they told me that it was a recognized problem and that they would send me a box and that once they received the laptop I would get it back within a week. They said that the replaced hinge covers would not crack again and that it was being fixed with a different sollution other than just giving me what I already had.
I didn't have to wait on the phone all day and customer service was really great. I also don't have to pay for shipping and the box to return it in is prepaid. That's alot better customer service than what I'm used to... Btw, I bought mine in January and didn't think I was going to have any problems with the hinges either until just a few weeks ago did the problem arise.

I'm gonna do mine near thanksgiving, I think :)

i just upgraded my m6805 to 1.25gb of RAM for $160 at Fry's.

VAST improvement in response and loading time.

the price was a little steep but oh well. i worked my ass off this summer i deserve to splurge a little :)

I'm new to the laptop world, and am very intrigued by the M6805 (or 07, 10, or 11 :) ). I'm going to use the laptop for internet, wordprocessing, mp3s, and some games if it's a good enough rig (and the eMachines are, from what I hear).

So first, what reasons would there be for me to look elsewhere, at other brands? From what I can tell, the eMachines offer good bang for the buck.

Next, what are the differences between the 05, 07, 10, 11, and whatever else? The only thing I noticed in browsing was processor speeds, HD size, and DVDRW drives vs. CDRW.

Finally, which do you recommend? :confused:

Thanks a ton!

very bad news here, my M6805 is tanked!

I reformatted with the restore DVD b/c my wireless isn't working, and I wanted to see if reformat fixed it. Well, it worked for awhile, until I got a BSOD on boot up, about a memory dump, and the screen was running at less than half normal brightness!

HELP!

Now, after another reformat, the screen is STILL poorly lit. I'm taking the unit to Best Buy for repair or replacement under their service plan, but does anyone have any ideas?

Does anyone have any suggestions for optimizing an M6805? I am planning on adding 1gb of memory in the near future. Anyone have any system settings that work especially well? Should I change the paging setting that came default? Any suggestions at all?

I though everyone should know that the eMachines m6805 laptop doesn't take SP2 well. The OS becomes unstable, function, volume and quick launch buttons stop working, in some cases locking up windows, and the system hangs at shutdown, requiring the use of the power button. Some also report problems with wi-fi. I have two m6805s that I'm responsible for, and I had to find out the [H]ard way. It's all over the forums, here and here .

The problem lies with the BIOS, v0f02.p00 are affected. Some people are flashing the systems with BIOSes from higher model systems (m6809, m6811), and some are coming back from the depot with newer versions. eMachines knows about the problem, and is supposedly working on a fix, however right now, eMachines won't or can't solve the problem for people. (I got a really pathetic response from techsupport, which I'm in the process of responding to.) Meaning, the only way to get SP2 right now is to flash the BIOS, and void your warranty. I successfully uninstalled the Service Pack, but that is by no means a good solution, and for the time being I think owners should know not to upgrade.

Thought I would let you all know, as I didn't find any other mention of it here. And I'm curious to know if any of you have had the same problems.

ive got a little bad news to report on my m6811, after 2 weeks of use 1 hinge is cracked. damnit i was try to take care of them. o well i guess ill wait till emachines does their new hinge exhcange thing

How does the 6805 handle Call of Duty and BF42? Really the only games I want to play badly...thanks!

aktick said:
How does the 6805 handle Call of Duty and BF42? Really the only games I want to play badly...thanks!

you probably want to get some more ram for BF1942 but call of duty runs fine

well i can say that i am very happy with the way that emachines handled the cracked hinge issue. i sent my laptop off on monday morning and it was back to my house by thursday morning with the whole lcd assembly replaced from what i can tell.....a breeze to get taken care of.

I ran into the same problem after the upgrade to WinXP SP2 on my M6805. It seemed relatively safe, since eMachines has a link to SP2 right on their site, and no mention of any problems. They still have no driver or BIOS downloads available, btw.

It required a BIOS flash to the M6811 BIOS, and that seems to have fixed the problems. It came from here:
http://www.rmecc.com/~v2/em

Anyone have the number for Emachine? I just noticed my bezel is cracked too! Also, anyone else have the flicker problem depending on the angle of the screen?

I don't know if anyone already said this, but I just found out yesterday a very good way to get your laptop replaced in case of cracked hinges. If you bought your lap top at Best Buy, you have the option of just going in store and having them swap it out for a new one (my 6805 got swapped to a 6810) you DO NOT need to have the service plan through best buy, and if you have a e-machines service plan, they will swap the SN for you. All you need to do in order to swap them out is a receipt and a laptop with the cracked hinges.

If they give you a hard time, tell them to check the toolkit for an inter-department email stating that they are allowed to swap them out. If found this out from my roommate who is a best buy lackey, and this was a much better option than having to lose my laptop for a week. The only problem with doing this is the fact that most of the laptops that are out at Best Buy still have the defect, but because I need my laptop for school this solution rocked.

Have fun with this.

y2kdread said:
I don't know if anyone already said this, but I just found out yesterday a very good way to get your laptop replaced in case of cracked hinges. If you bought your lap top at Best Buy, you have the option of just going in store and having them swap it out for a new one (my 6805 got swapped to a 6810) you DO NOT need to have the service plan through best buy, and if you have a e-machines service plan, they will swap the SN for you. All you need to do in order to swap them out is a receipt and a laptop with the cracked hinges.

If they give you a hard time, tell them to check the toolkit for an inter-department email stating that they are allowed to swap them out. If found this out from my roommate who is a best buy lackey, and this was a much better option than having to lose my laptop for a week. The only problem with doing this is the fact that most of the laptops that are out at Best Buy still have the defect, but because I need my laptop for school this solution rocked.

Have fun with this.

ooohh... will try :D

Except I've got to try and find the reciept, and it's most likely LONG gone. It's been 9 months :p

lopoetve said:
ooohh... will try :D

Except I've got to try and find the reciept, and it's most likely LONG gone. It's been 9 months :p

If you know what Credit Card you bought it with or something like that they can look it up. I love having a roommate who works at best buy, I get to take advantage of the discount and learn all that fun crap to enforce how evil they are. (They chew out employees for selling e-machines over Sony, my roommate is one of those who knows what he is talking about, so he gets chewed out on a regular basis for not ripping people off)

This is true, I recently got my M6809 upgraded to the M6811 because of said hinge problem. I'm trying to sell the new one though because I want something lighter.

y2kdread said:
If you know what Credit Card you bought it with or something like that they can look it up. I love having a roommate who works at best buy, I get to take advantage of the discount and learn all that fun crap to enforce how evil they are. (They chew out employees for selling e-machines over Sony, my roommate is one of those who knows what he is talking about, so he gets chewed out on a regular basis for not ripping people off)

Bought it on the Best Buy CC, so that should be REAL easy! 0% financing till next year too.

Can someone describe the hinge problem? I have a hairline crack on the small portion of the lower screen hinge. It hasnt' made it all the way across to the side yet..but will.

I bought mine at my local Best Buy, but don't have teh service contract, can I still get it fixed/swapped by them? My computer was bought on 1/25/04

Thanks for the help.
Brian

y2kdread said:

Have fun with this.

I'm not sure about this, i havent seen an interdepartmental email. I think Best Buy wants to screw the consumer for not getting a PSP by saying, sorry go deal with Emachines.

A friend of mine works as a tech for Best Buy. He tells me that right now the emachines are Direct Vendor Replacements. Basically it means that if you have a service contract and something goes wrong with it, they just replace the unit with a new one instead of sending it back. He tells me that this is not something that will last forever and can change at any time, but right now that's Best Buy's position on the emachines laptops.
That's probably why they just swapped out the laptop for a new one.

jstevens44 said:
A friend of mine works as a tech for Best Buy. He tells me that right now the emachines are Direct Vendor Replacements. Basically it means that if you have a service contract and something goes wrong with it, they just replace the unit with a new one instead of sending it back. He tells me that this is not something that will last forever and can change at any time, but right now that's Best Buy's position on the emachines laptops.
That's probably why they just swapped out the laptop for a new one.

Ahh so that make more sense. It's pretty much what I just said, if you dont have Best Buy''s service plan, they will tell you to go to the manufactuter to get fixed. The condition you're describing only works on their service plans.

Vesentac said:
Ahh so that make more sense. It's pretty much what I just said, if you dont have Best Buy''s service plan, they will tell you to go to the manufactuter to get fixed. The condition you're describing only works on their service plans.

You don't understand my roommate and I both had the 6805 he had the Best Buy service plan (because he got the plan at the employee price) and I got the one through e-machines. I went in only with my laptop and they swapped it out after finding the receipt info (it did not matter that I did not have a best buy service plan).

You DO NOT need to have a service plan; it's covered in under the 1 year limited manufactures warranty. They DEVO which means that they send it back to e-machines and do not take any sort of loss for swapping the laptops. If you do not believe me, go try it yourself. You have nothing to lose.

Think of this as a silent recall, not anything that deals with service plans.

You better believe I'm gonna try. My local one has the 6810 and 6811 in stock. Worst case: they tell me to leave. Best case: new laptop, free. :D

I've got a 6805 in the serial range that has the hinge problems, but I haven't had a crack yet. If it crack though, I'll definitely bring it in and see if they'll swap it for a 6810 though.

Just curious, would they pull the HD in that situation or would I have to back everything up and wipe the drive before bringing it in? Also, I've upgraded the memory, would they pull the memory stick from the new one and slap it in the old one when they swap it? I don't have the original memory that came with the laptop anymore.

jstevens44 said:
I've got a 6805 in the serial range that has the hinge problems, but I haven't had a crack yet. If it crack though, I'll definitely bring it in and see if they'll swap it for a 6810 though.

Just curious, would they pull the HD in that situation or would I have to back everything up and wipe the drive before bringing it in? Also, I've upgraded the memory, would they pull the memory stick from the new one and slap it in the old one when they swap it? I don't have the original memory that came with the laptop anymore.

You have to back it up, and I don't know about the memory.

I have emailed emachines to find out when they will be releaseing the newer models and they repplyed in October. So since I have the cracked hinge installing sp2 on my 6811 dosent work all web pages need you to hit F5 five times to load and the images would not load, and also the vid card died on me it will not even run 3Dmark 01 at more than 5fps and is all messed up partial items and triangels. I will have then replace it with the new one when they run out of the 6811s

Back