fast low light lens for D40?

retro

Gawd
I'm looking for something under $300 USD (150 quid range) and was hoping to find something that'll actually focus on my D40.

But I'm a bit lazy to start my search tonight.

Any ideas?

for under $300 your only options are primes (50mm, 35mm, 28mm) and a sigma 28-70mm. everything else at that price is f/4 and lower.

Any links on what you'd suggest? I can work a camera, but I'm pretty new to having choices with lenses.

And thanks, I'd be lost without some help.

Doesn't exist. The fast primes are all screwdriver driven and the fast (f2.8) AF-S zooms are all in the $1.5k range

Doesn't exist. The fast primes are all screwdriver driven and the fast (f2.8) AF-S zooms are all in the $1.5k range

ahhh... good call. i totally forgot about the missing internal focus motor in the D40. :eek:

Sorry, OP, there are no AF lenses for the D40/40x/60 that are cheap and fast. Thus I upgraded to a D80.

I learned the hard way, too. A 50/1.8 is great on a D40, though, just man up and learn to turn that focus ring.

Strategy > I saw that and am almost about to take the plunge, but would I be better getting Nikons new VR kit lens instead? I do far more hand-held shots rather than tripod shots, and I dont have rock solid steady hands.

This is going to become an expensive hobby.....

Personally, I'm always suspicious of Nikon's cheap offerings and that one is as slow as they come. If you want low light capability the Sigma is the way to go.

This is a ridiculously expensive hobby.

Sorry, OP, there are no AF lenses for the D40/40x/60 that are cheap and fast. Thus I upgraded to a D80.

I learned the hard way, too. A 50/1.8 is great on a D40, though, just man up and learn to turn that focus ring.

+1

If you're serious about photography, you should ditch the D40.

FWIW- My favorite lens that I own is the 50mm 1.8f. Best bang or the buck for sure!

I will defenitely be going for either a D80, or their next replacement, but first I want to reach a creative standstill with this body, and that probably wont happen for some time.

For that to happen, I'd have to actually have a day off work to go shooting. Too bad their aint shit all to shoot in this city.

This is one of those topics that people don’t understand. Many people are so quick to recommend the
D40 or the D60 and don’t realize that these cameras are made for someone who will only use the 18-55 and the 55-200 lenses. My advice would be to sell the camera on eBay or FS and get a D70s and the sigma 28-70mm that Northrop recommended. This camera uses the same sensor that the d40 uses so you will get the same IQ, but you will gain the screwdriver motor that you need. On top of that, you should be able to break even because you camera is newer and people want the smaller size.

Here’s one

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-D70s-6-1MP-DIGITAL-SLR-CAMERA-BODY-USED-WARR-1_W0QQitemZ280221512761QQihZ018QQcategoryZ107912QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would also consider getting the 80-200 2.8 that can be had for 400. This zoom is awesome and is perfect for churches where you can’t move around a lot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-80-200-2-8-AF-D-pro-lens-2-ring-w-hood-filter_W0QQitemZ320244775731QQihZ011QQcategoryZ106862QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And for those who recomend the D80, why spend 800, when you can get the same thing with 4 less megapixel and a smaller screen for half the price. Megapixels dont matter, and neither does the screen because the majority of veiwing happens on the PC anyway.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I guess I was asking a bit much as far as lens selection goes with this camera, but price is a big issue as I am getting married this summer, as well as doing a month long trip through Canada (and maybe some of the north east states) with the wife as well. And I'm not exactly loaded, yet. :)

SO I suppose I should re-entitle this thread.... What lenses should I get late this year when I get a better body?

On another note, I got an awesome deal on a 55 - 200 F/4-5.6 VR lens. I know its nothing spectacular, but it wont hold me as back as I'm stil very much a beginner with SLR's and still learning alot, and I got it for under 200 USD new.

Now to let the abuse on this purchase continue... :p

like I said, the 80-200 is an awsone lens for 400. Just make sure you get the one with the collar and not the push-pull one. There both the same price, but the one had the tripod collar. Its an awsome lens that is built like a rock and the AF is really fast. I would have kept mine if I had not gotten such a good deal on the canon 40D when compusa went out of business. Btw the d40 is a great camera, I just think you sound like you getting to the point where a better body would be good.

There's no way you can get an 80-200 for $400. Even for the slower AF-D model, you're still looking at $650-750 for a good condition, collared model. For the AF-S model, you're looking at at least a grand.

I've seen a dozen of those lenses end for around 400. You just have to get lucky.you can get a better deal on one that dosent come with the case for cheaper. I got mine for 410 and sold it for 700. You just have to watch ebay for a while.

My lens was used, but was in perfect condition. Its actually odd with this particular lens that theres such a price difference between auctions. I just saw one that ended at 850 and another that ended at 470. Both were the AF-D version and came with the hood, although the 850 came with the box and case... My thing is that since it is out of warranty there is no real reason to spend 400 more for the box and manual. Also the case for this lens is annoying as hell to take the lens in and out, and most people use a bag anyway. I'm 17 so I can afford to wait for a better deal...

I have heard good things about the 18-55 VR lenses. If you dont mind manually focusing, then Id go with the 50 1.8 or any of the other inexpensive primes. That way when you do upgrade you body you have more glass to play with.

And for those who recomend the D80, why spend 800, when you can get the same thing with 4 less megapixel and a smaller screen for half the price. Megapixels dont matter, and neither does the screen because the majority of veiwing happens on the PC anyway.

If you're buying a used body, which you are if you are buying a D70/s, then get a D80 used for 550-650. D70/s is noisy compared to a D80 and the D80 has more than twice as many AF points, which makes a big difference for low light. www.keh.com is a great little store.

I have heard good things about the 18-55 VR lenses. If you dont mind manually focusing, then Id go with the 50 1.8 or any of the other inexpensive primes. That way when you do upgrade you body you have more glass to play with.

VR is more of a marketing gimmick than an actual help on a mid-range zoom like the 18-55 as you should be able to handhold a lens like that to relatively slow shutter speeds. Also the loss of the ED glass makes it not much, if at all, better than the original or II models. Build is much better though and the zoom is much better damped than the original 18-55. (I haven't ever tried the II model)

All the 18-55s have been AF-S (Or at least psuedo AF-S, as they'll focus with the D40/D60 but don't allow mf override without moving a switch), I believe he was talking about the 50 1.8.

Back