Final Fantasy XIV bugged to hell

vjcsmoke

Supreme [H]ardness
On triple monitors: Looks beautiful but tends to crash randomly with a black screen and a DirectX error message that FF has stopped detecting a video card? "Unable to detect DirectX device. The program has shut down. Please restart FINAL FANTASY XIV."

So then I tried it in single monitor mode.
And I STILL randomly crash to desktop but instead I just get the "Final Fantasy has stopped working" error message. Wow that's real helpful, not. I feel ripped off right now. WTF is going on with this game?

Hundreds of thousands of people play everyday with no issue. I'd look at the hardware involved in your issues, I hear nvidia SLI takes some extra work to make it function properly.

IIRC, this game have some issue with nVidia card, I had some crash issue just like yours while my laptop's 5650 runs fine :(

Hundreds of thousands of people play everyday with no issue. I'd look at the hardware involved in your issues, I hear nvidia SLI takes some extra work to make it function properly.

No i figured out what was wrong. SLI doesn't take 'extra work'. SLI is FUBAR with FF XIV. I have to disable SLI to get it to work without constantly crashing. Which means yes, I can finally play the game, with SLI turned off, but only on one screen. Oh and it will still crash if I alt-tab out of it or try to click on anything else but the game in windowed mode. Nvidia and Square need to get together to fix the drivers for FF XIV. I want my frigging SLI support back!

I wish I hadn't seen that post. Not only did the fix not work for me. But now FFXIV is even crashing in windowed SLI-disabled mode. Not sure what it changed exactly but it looks like it broke FFXIV even more than it already is. Which is some accomplishment.

I wish I hadn't seen that post. Not only did the fix not work for me. But now FFXIV is even crashing in windowed SLI-disabled mode. Not sure what it changed exactly but it looks like it broke FFXIV even more than it already is. Which is some accomplishment.

Sorry to hear that. I was able to improve my frames by applying the so called SLI fix. I did have to disable Ambient Occlusion otherwise the frames are shot. While it did improve my frames it still does get choppy in certain areas. Hopefully Nvidia will come out with a new driver to improve the game even more.

There's definitely something very nonkosher/fishy going on with FFXIV.

Heres what the Event Logger reported about a recent crash:

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

Code:
Event 1530, User Profile Service

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. 

DETAIL - 
 12 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-2310644400-447507244-1526738846-1000:
Process 4712 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Games\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV\ffxivgame.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2310644400-447507244-1526738846-1000
Process 4712 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Games\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV\ffxivgame.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2310644400-447507244-1526738846-1000\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_045E&PID_00E1\Calibration\0
Process 4712 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Games\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV\ffxivgame.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2310644400-447507244-1526738846-1000\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_047F&PID_C001\Calibration\0
Process 4712 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Games\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV\ffxivgame.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2310644400-447507244-1526738846-1000\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D
Process 4712 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Games\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV\ffxivgame.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2310644400-447507244-1526738846-1000\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_8888&PID_0308\Calibration\0
Process 4712 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Games\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV\ffxivgame.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2310644400-447507244-1526738846-1000\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_8888&PID_0308
Process 2428 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2310644400-447507244-1526738846-1000\Software\Intel\LANDesk\VirusProtect6\CurrentVersion\Custom Tasks
Process 4712 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Games\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV\ffxivgame.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2310644400-447507244-1526738846-1000\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_047F&PID_C001\Calibration\1
Process 4712 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Games\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV\ffxivgame.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2310644400-447507244-1526738846-1000\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_8888&PID_0308
Process 4712 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Games\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV\ffxivgame.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2310644400-447507244-1526738846-1000\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_8888&PID_0308\Calibration\0\Type
Process 4712 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Games\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV\ffxivgame.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2310644400-447507244-1526738846-1000\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID_8888&PID_0008\Calibration\0
Process 4712 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Games\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV\ffxivgame.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2310644400-447507244-1526738846-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

What the heck, registry leaks are causing new crashes now? And what is my antivirus program doing in there??

Anyone found a solution to fixing this superbuggy game? Even the Sims 3 had a fix you could try that worked.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I think, you might have found your culprit in that event log. ...lets see. Other people for the most part are running the game just-fine albiet sometimes low frame-rates but most of the bugs being in-game iwth stability being ok-just-annoying to actually play the title.

You are unable to run the game b/c it keep crashing and in the event log, Symantec aka Norton aka one of the worst most intrusive programs ever developed that in itself often acts like a virus in order to protect you from viruses(ironic contradiction).

Get Rid of Norton. Do it now! While you still can! You'll need to google for the Norton Removal Tool b/c the uninstall doesn't even defeat Norton its so evil!

I think the OP is running the game in full screen mode. The game has anti alt-tab measures and will crash if the game loses focus. The message posted in the OP is what happens when something, like Norton, attempts to gain focus while FFXIV is running in full screen mode.

You have two options. Run in window mode or get WindowerXIV.

I think the OP is running the game in full screen mode. The game has anti alt-tab measures and will crash if the game loses focus. The message posted in the OP is what happens when something, like Norton, attempts to gain focus while FFXIV is running in full screen mode.

You have two options. Run in window mode or get WindowerXIV.

are you saying that they designed the game to crash when someone presses alt+tab? because that would be full retard on their part to cause that problem for so many people.

Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I'm sorry, but I think, you might have found your culprit in that event log. ...lets see. Other people for the most part are running the game just-fine albiet sometimes low frame-rates but most of the bugs being in-game iwth stability being ok-just-annoying to actually play the title.

You are unable to run the game b/c it keep crashing and in the event log, Symantec aka Norton aka one of the worst most intrusive programs ever developed that in itself often acts like a virus in order to protect you from viruses(ironic contradiction).

Get Rid of Norton. Do it now! While you still can! You'll need to google for the Norton Removal Tool b/c the uninstall doesn't even defeat Norton its so evil!

Ok I did a couple things that finally fixed the constant crashing.

1. I uninstalled Norton Antivirus. And I installed AVG.
Oh AVG has its own bug if you don't watch out it will slow your Internet Explorer to a horrendously laggy crawl. You need to turn off the AVG feature/process that does website scanning to get rid of this problem.

2. I disabled AMD External Events Utility in the Services menu.
Apparently Nvidia drivers hate running with anything else ATI/AMD in the same system.
Looks like a holdover service from when I had a Radeon video card was haunting me. And Nvidia driver based vendor hate kicked into overdrive. Thus lots of instability.

3. I run it full screen and use an Autohotkey script to make the game run windowed borderless and max resolution.
It's actually really useful because I can click on other programs on my other monitor now without crashing the game. And it had always crashed previously when alt-tabbing out from fullscreen mode.

PS Squaresoft hit the company that makes Final Fantasy XIV windower with an injunction so they had to remove their windower software from the net.
You know if Square hadn't made a completely retarded windowed mode that CANT be mouse drag resized, nor have its borders removed, people wouldn't need to look to 3rd party providers or scripts to get the game to run and look as it should.

Game is still SUPER NO GO for SLI. And I'm not going to risk changing anything now that it's finally stable. Not until Nvidia releases official working SLI drivers for FF XIV.

My SLI works half @ss in the game. Most of the time it does nothing but in the desert world it works pretty good. Give it a try.

FFIXV will not let you alt-tab in full screen. Period.

SLI/Crossfire doesnt work natively...yet?

I found a post that shows if you take the FFXIVgame.exe and rename it to Crysis.exe for Nvidia, or 3DMark06.exe for ATI, and then create a symbolic link in your OS - things start to show promise.

the symolic link command should be:

mklink ffxivgame.exe crysis.exe
OR
mklink ffxivgame.exe 3DMark06.exe

my Quad fire setup has never run better.

Credit - http://www.freefrag.com/gaming-disc...et-crossfire-sli-working-fullscreen-mode.html

Granted...a patch will "correct" the rename/link. Its just a matter of renaming/linking manually after a new patch.

Hope that helps.

who uses anti virus these days? Anyways, when I was playing FFXI online, I always have windower. it's so much better with it. I guess FFXIV hasnt change when it comes to window mode. Good luck.

Back