Final Prep before buying

NoobToast

Limp Gawd
I have an upgrade picked out for my PC, and this is kind of a big thing since its the first time basically building my own. Its a mobo/cpu/hsf/ram/gpu upgrade. Just want to make sure its a good build, everything is compatible with everything. I plan to use it for gaming, and basic use. I do plan on OCing.

There are 2 things i have a question about. First, my mobo i picked out has a Memory Standard of DDR2 1066, and the RAM i picked out is DDR2 800, will that work out? The other question i have is, is the HSF i have now worth it, or should i just go with the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro? The reason I went with the ZEROtherm Nirvana is because of the looks, but its not that big of deal. Any other HSF suggestions are welcome.

Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-P31-S3G
CPU - Intel Pentium E2180
HSF - ZEROtherm Nirvana or ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro
GPU - EVGA 8800GS
RAM - mushkin 2GB

I'll also be buying 2 120mm fans and 1 IDE cable. I'll be reusing a DVD/CD Drive, an Antec True Power 2.0 PSU, the case and 1 120mm fan.

My budget is 380-400 no more, and i do look to upgrade, probably for sometime during summer.

Any suggestions are welcome.

The True Power 2.0 power supplies are unreliable -- they've had a history of problems handling high loads. If you can't replace it now, replace it soon. Very soon.

DDR2 800 RAM is enough for overclocking the E2180. So is the Freezer 7 Pro. (Then again if you already -- physically -- have the Nirvana NV120, then go ahead and use that.)

I agree with tiraides.

If you're really on a tight budget, get some slightly cheaper RAM instead:
$35 - Super Talent 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 T800UX2GC5

You can also drop down to the E2160 instead, saving another few bucks. Both chips have the same OC potential, and the multiplier on the E2160 is still high enough for easy OC'ing.

The Scythe Ninja Plus Rev.B is good. Though, as mentioned earlier, all you need is the AC F7Pro.

Back