Finally found a computer that won't run Windows 11 22H2, trying to figure out why.

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
The computer is an HP a6710t. It originally came with Windows Vista, Dual-Core Intel Pentium E2200, 2GB Ram, and a Mechanical HDD. Motherboard uses an Nforce 630i chipset with Geforce 7100 integrated graphics. After digging through the spare-parts bin I upgraded it to a Q6600, 4GB Ram, and a 256GB Samsung SSD.

Windows 10 works great on there, with all current updates.
Windows 11 21H2 works great on there, with all current updates.
Windows 11 22H2 will NOT work on there, despite everything I've tried.

While upgrading to Windows 11 22H2 (from either Windows 10 or Windows 11 21H2), it will generally freeze at some point during the setup process - though it varies as to exactly when it will freeze; sometimes it almost makes it all the way through.
I've also tried taking the SSD and putting it into another computer, performing the update to 22H2 in that other computer, and then putting it back into the a6710t once 22H2 is already installed. In that scenario, sometimes it will freeze during boot. Often it will make it all the way to the desktop and seem to work mostly normal, but freeze within a few minutes at most. It's not usually a hard-lock. Usually the active window will freeze first, with the mouse cursor still able to move and interact with other elements of the UI to a limited extent until the computer soon becomes completely unresponsive.

It usually will work long enough to let me into the Event Viewer, where I'm not seeing much that is noteworthy, with the possible exception of multiple Event ID 6155 Warnings ("The LSA package is not signed as expected"). I've googled just about everything about that I can find, and experimented with multiple group policy changes related to Credential Guard, Virtualization-based security, fully disabling Windows Defender, etc. Nothing made any difference.

Other things I've tried:
I managed to find a BIOS update, and updated it from 5.22 to 5.27, which I believe is the latest version. This didn't change anything.
I tried using a PCIe ASMedia SATA controller instead of the integrated SATA controller. This didn't change anything.
I tried using a small Nvidia Quadro PCIe videocard instead of the integrated video. This didn't change anything.
I tried using several different SSDs. This didn't change anything.
I disabled the integrated Audio, the Parallel ATA controller, the PS2 ports, basically everything that was optional. This didn't change anything.
I tried installing various Release Preview, Dev Channel builds, and others (22624.1470, 23419.1000, 25330.1000, etc) beyond the current 22H2 build (22621.1413) to see if maybe this is an issue that might be fixed in the future. No changes.

Now, obviously this is not a particularly valuable computer. My motivation to solve this is more for academic reasons and driven by curiosity. This is basically the only 64-bit x86 computer that I have not been able to install Windows 11 22H2 on so far, and that includes computers that are even older, including single-core 64-bit Pentium 4 computers. It's not simply incompatible with Windows 11, since 21H2 (22000.1761) runs fine on there, so whatever is causing the issue is unique to 22H2. My best guess at this point is that it's something related to (or conflicting with) the Nforce chipset. I don't specifically recall working on any other computer with an Nforce 630i chipset, and even though I have other Nforce-based PCs that have been successfully upgraded to Windows 11 22H2, overall Nforce chipsets have always been POS chipsets, even when they were new.

Any ideas that might help shed a light on things? Also, if Windows 11 22H2 is simply not an option, then I'd guess that Windows 10 would be a better option than Windows 11 21H2, since Windows 11 21H2 will actually reach EoL before Windows 10 does (assuming that future Windows 10 updates don't cause the same problem).

If you're still reading this wall of text, thanks.

Last edited:
Checked known issues with 11 22H2?
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-22h2

Possibly related?
SummaryOriginating updateStatusLast updated

Third-party UI customization apps might cause Windows to not start up
Apps to change behaviors or UI in Windows 11 might cause issues with updates released February 28, 2023 or later.
OS Build 22621.1344
KB5022913
2023-02-28
Resolved External2023-03-28
10:03 PT

Yeah I reviewed that list but couldn't find anything that was applicable. It's certainly not any 3rd-party UI customization. I don't use any, and in most cases it's not even making it through the setup process.

Also, this computer obviously doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Windows 11. I used a requirements bypass to install Windows 11 (tried many different bypass methods, in case that was the issue). So because it's not a supported configuration, I doubt that there will be any official "known issues" from Microsoft related to whatever is going on.

my guess would be the chipset too but: "freezes within minutes" have you watched taskman or perfmon to see whats going on at the time? hows the heatsink feeling, hot at all? did you memtest the ram upgrade?

I'd run a long memtest and any sort of cpu test/burn in you can find. Maybe see if you can find Intel errata for the CPU. Either the cpu is starting to die, or there's an obscure edge case in something obscure. Maybe Microsoft dropped an old workaround for weird cpu bugs because none of the cpus are supported in win11; maybe they optimized something and didn't realize it breaks old cpus because they don't test anything anymore and anyway, I would think they wouldn't test stuff that's not on or at least near the compat list.

If this were open source, I'd suggest trying to isolate if it's a kernel or userland issue, and then try to isolate the change. See if you can get preview/interim builds from before the current release build maybe?

hows the heatsink feeling, hot at all? did you memtest the ram upgrade?
I'd run a long memtest and any sort of cpu test/burn in you can find.

I did not run memtest, mainly because the ram was originally pulled from known working systems, and it would seem very odd to only have issues with a certain version of Windows if it was a memory issue. But it never hurts to test the ram - running memtest now.

I did run Prime95 after upgrading the CPU (while the system was still on Windows 10) to make sure that the CPU heatsink, VRMs, and the PSU could handle the Quad-Core CPU, and it didn't seem to be a problem.

I did notice that the chipset heatsink gets VERY hot, almost hot enough to burn my finger when I touch it. It seems to always get this hot, regardless of if the system is at idle or at load. It's a passive heatsink that seems to rely on airflow from the nearby CPU heatsink. I tried aiming a separate high-CFM fan at the chipset heatsink just for testing purposes, but it didn't seem to change anything when it came to installing Windows 11 22H2. I don't think this is necessarily abnormal since it seems like almost all nforce chipsets run hot.

Maybe Microsoft dropped an old workaround for weird cpu bugs because none of the cpus are supported in win11; maybe they optimized something and didn't realize it breaks old cpus because they don't test anything anymore and anyway

Plausible theory, but the Q6600 is a pretty common older CPU. I have several systems with the Q6600 that have already been upgraded to Windows 11 22H2, but the difference is that those systems were all using Intel chipsets. I think I do have a Q8200 that this board probably supports. I might try sticking it in there just because I'm running out of things to try. I think the Q8200 uses less power also, which I guess would be a bonus.

Have you tried to run this stress testing software: https://www.ocbase.com/

It checks a lot more than just using prime95.

Looks like interesting software, but not quite sure what the purpose would be. The system has already shown itself to be stable when running Windows 10 or Windows 11 21H2, just not Windows 11 22H2. Additional stability tests wouldn't really explain the disparity in stability between OS versions.

Also, have you tried to run 11 in safe mode?

I did boot into Safe Mode a few times, and it was always stable, although I never stayed in Safe Mode long enough or did anything advanced enough to verify that it was actually fully stable in that mode. Usually when I booted into Safe mode it was to check Event Viewer, make Registry changes, Group Policy changes, etc.

I did boot into Safe Mode a few times, and it was always stable, although I never stayed in Safe Mode long enough or did anything advanced enough to verify that it was actually fully stable in that mode.

I'd do this before swapping the cpus. It's easier anyway.

but the difference is that those systems were all using Intel chipsets

Maybe check if Nvidia published chipset errata? I feel like they're a lot less open though. Seems like you tried disabling everything possible from the chipset already, but maybe there's more to try? Built in usb perhaps if you've got a usb expansion or some ps2 input devices to test with.

I ran memtest for 6+ hours; no errors.

I swapped the Q6600 for the Q8200, but unfortunately it didn't change anything in terms of what works and what doesn't.

What format is the hard drive? Dynamic disks were deprecated…

I've tried using several Intel and Samsung SSDs, and even tried a Hitachi mechanical HDD just for the heck of it. Each time, during the install process, I basically just delete all existing partitions and let the installer begin from scratch - a method that I know works on other computers that I've installed 22H2 on.

Two things strike me here.

#1 Add more ram, sounds like you could be running out of paged pool memory and windows is trying to address more than it has available.
#2 HD issue where it can't write to the disk in which case your chipset drivers are exactly the problem you were talking about above. Any time I've seen a computer freeze in that manner it's because the disk has stopped responding due to bad sectors, or some other issue. Basically, what's in ram still responds but it doesn't continue

#1 Add more ram, sounds like you could be running out of paged pool memory and windows is trying to address more than it has available.
#2 HD issue where it can't write to the disk in which case your chipset drivers are exactly the problem you were talking about above. Any time I've seen a computer freeze in that manner it's because the disk has stopped responding due to bad sectors, or some other issue. Basically, what's in ram still responds but it doesn't continue

I agree that 4GB is not a lot of RAM, but it's not an incredibly small amount to the point where it would cause the system to freeze, especially when used in conjunction with an SSD. The computer is actually quite usable in both Windows 10 and Windows 11 21H2. I've installed 22H2 on plenty of other systems with only 4GB.
I've tried multiple drives and even a separate PCIe SATA controller, to no avail. Not much I can do about the chipset unless I can identify what 22H2 is doing differently compared to 21H2 that is creating the chipset issue.

I also downloaded the oldest version of 22H2 that I could find, "22621.1", an insider build from June of last year. Same problems.

Back