Find me a better set of earbud headphones than my Klipsch Image S4 (under $100)

Volume

2[H]4U
I've been wanting a quality set of earbud headphones for a while now to replace my old beat up $25 Sony pair.

I picked up the Klipsch S4 for $80 at BB on my way home today, and so far I'm really impressed (who wouldn't be, coming from a pair of cheap Sonys).

$80 is a lot of cheese for earbuds, in my opinion. I just wanted to know, before my return period is up, if there is anything else in this price range that the audiophiles among you feel would be a strong competitor or even hands-down better?

I listen to mostly rock and electronic music. I'm pretty amazed with the clarity on these.

If you can't recommend better headphones, would you say ComplyFoam is the best when it comes to third-party tips?

They've not bad for the price, I'm surprised BB doesn't charge more for them (i must be used to the even more jacked prices of BB in Puerto Rico), probably not the best in that price range either tho, depending on what you're looking for... They're bass heavy, which might be exactly what you want given the genres you mentioned, I dunno.

Sound quality can be subjective to an extent, specially when talking about pricier IEMs, but I've found this guy's opinion to be pretty accurate... Worth reading if only to look at some of the alternatives, he describes things like comfort and microphonics for all models reviewed, which can be less subjective but just as important:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mul...o-consonance-ultimate-ears-350-added-10-25-11

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/con...3-consonance-tandem-sba-3-added-oct-27th-2011

Above is a more concise version with a chart at the bottom that shows price and sound quality. The S4 isn't that good of a buy at $80 since there many better ones around that price. The S4 has gone back up in price due to the hype it has been getting recently from people who have never heard a good pair of IEM before. I wouldn't mind buying it when it was on sale at $40 but at $80 you are better off with one of the Sunrise if you like bass or the Head-Direct RE0 if you like treble. I personally don't care for the S4 because it has overpowering bass that bleeds into the mids. If you are willing to spend a little more and like a neutral to bright sound with extremely clear highs than you should consider the Brainwavz B2. It has been as low as $100 on MP4NATION if you can find a coupon code and frequently goes for $130 on amazon. This is probably the best value IEM when it's at $130 if you aren't a basshead. I don't think we will ever see Amazon sell the Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10 for $50 again.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the input so far.

I haven't really noticed overpowering bass on these, but then again it may be because my ears aren't attuned like yours to recognizing such things. As for comfort, I definitely want to buy the Comply Foam tips because I'm not a fan of the silicon tips.

The sound has been very clear and such, but I'm always open to trying whatever is said to be better to see for myself.

I will check out your suggestions. Thanks again!

Edit: After some more listening, I'm finding these to be kind of a pain after a while, in terms of the bass being kinda muddy (thought it was just me until a review mentioned it) and how they create uncomfortable air pressure inside the ear. I think I'll go on to a proper set of Grado cans or something similar.

Last edited:
If you can't recommend better headphones, would you say ComplyFoam is the best when it comes to third-party tips?

Yes. However please note that they will get dirty pretty quick if this is your first time getting them. They are very difficult to clean, and you'll run through them pretty fast. Unlike the silicone tips which can be cleaned, complyfoam tips cant, so get a decent supply's worth. A pack of 3 or 5 pairs will last you a while if you keep your ears clean.

I use complyfoam tips on my klipsch custom-3, and i love them, idk if they are THAT much better than the silicone tips, but they are great :) The elliptical tips that Klipsch uses IMO is definately one of the better shaped and sized tips. Much more comfortable than the round ones.

I use Sennheiser CX-680s, and they're both awesome, and versatile. You can abuse them, even submerge them, and they don't fall out of your ears. Oh, and the sound quality is amazing, but it's Sennheiser, so duh.

Back