First Intel setup, worried about temps :(

MindBuster

2[H]4U
Ok, so what's going on here, this is my first Intel setup (atleast since Pentium 133Mhz with MMX technology :p ) and the temps seems way off, I'm setting it up right now, installing stuff and such, so havent run it at full load yet, but...

The temps show 23°C idle on my new E2200, both in BIOS and HWmonitor, I've never seen anything like it, havent had any of my many AMD's below 40°C idle.

Is this correct temps ? I'm using the stock heatsink, a very tiny one, smaller than regular Pentium stock coolers, hardly any metal on it, but none the less the cpu is running only 2°C above ambient temps when idle, can this be right ?

Don't compare AMD to Intel when it comes to temperatures and don't believe any idle temperatures unless you have done some calibrating. Both companies position their sensors in different locations so the numbers aren't directly comparable.

I'm kind of biased since I wrote RealTemp but even so, that would still be my first choice for accurate temperatures from an Intel core based processor.

Even with a decent program you still have to understand that the sensors in these chips are not 100% accurate at idle. These sensors were designed and calibrated by Intel to accurately trigger thermal throttling and thermal shut down. They weren't designed to accurately report idle temps.

If you read up on RealTemp you'll learn how you can get more accurate temperatures from these sensors with a simple calibration. Do a Google search and you should be able to learn more.

Ill telll you this much i had an E6600 not over clocked and it was running around 24 celcius out of the box and it eventually went up to about 27 and stayed there. Its overclocked to 3ghz right now from 2.4ghz and it idles around 28-30 celcius

Back