First Water Cooling Loop Horrible Temps

Hi there I just setup my new water cooling loop about 2 days ago and the temps are horrible. I will post my specs below but my 3930K at 4.6Ghz 1.34-1.35v in cpuz hits 72 max temps after running prime95 for at least 30 mins. And my GTX 580 stock speeds idles at 31-33 and load 39-42. I was expecting a lot cooler temps with my setup. Also my ambient temp is 25-27c.

External RX480 GT-15 in Pull
Internal RX360 GT-15 in Push
EK Supreme HF
EK-FC580
EK-R4E
MCP35X2
7/16 Tubing
EK Bay Spin Res

800D is doing Positive Airflow with all intakes and no back fan but open for air to escape. RX480 has Silverstone dust filters and RX360 has a Demciflex dust filter.

Have you tried re-seating the CPU's water block? It's either that or the thermal paste didn't go on quite right.

Your ambient temps are pretty high. 42 load is really good for your 580, and your 3930k hitting 72 seems reasonable with that voltage.

What you're hitting is the limits of heat transfer. Your CPU and GPU block simply cannot transfer heat fast enough to make the temps lower. What were you expecting, ambient idle temps? Pure fantasy, you're in for a huge disappointment if that's what you're expecting. Heat transfer can only happen when the source temperature is higher than the environment temperature. Your water temperature is most likely very close to your ambient temps.

There are two possible ways to improve your temps. Check your TIM for proper application, or get better TIM. The other way is to get better waterblocks. For the GPU... they all perform pretty much the same, and the 580 is fine all the way up to ~100 C. CPU is also fine for up to 100 C, but you need to run LinX to get max temperatures. That EK Supreme HF, however, is not the best block you can buy. The performance crown goes to the Swiftech Apogee HD and XSPC Raystorm.

all intakes? You NEED an exhaust fan. Make the top exhaust.

Also, re-seat your cpu water block.

Those temperatures don't really seem that terrible to me at all. Your GPU temperature is pretty damn low, so your overall loop seems healthy.

Throwing a massive amount of radiators at your project isn't going to make temperatures ridiculously low, once you've reached the threshold of adequate surface area, any more will make hardly any difference.

Your positive pressure setup is not the issue, otherwise your GPU temperatures would be higher.

You can't judge temperatures by looking at idle temperatures with Intel processors. Their thermal sensors are not accurate at low temperatures. Plus idle is a very generic word, with no real relevance as to what your computer is truly doing.

Try re-seating your CPU block, other than that I'd be very happy with those temperatures at that kind of overclock. You're pushing that CPU fairly hard with those voltages.

I cant speak to your CPU temps as I do not use Intel chips, but I can tell you that your 580 temps are ANYTHING but horrible.... what on earth were you expecting to see??? Ambient temps on your components? Never going to happen. Having a 20*c delta between components like the GPU and atmosphere is a great delta, and yours are 17 and 15*c delta based on high and low...

Redefine "horrible" in your dictionary.

Lol.. RX840 would just be insane!
Temps look really good actually. The hexa-core chips run hotter than the 2600k/2500k quads. Temps on your 580 are really good.

Your temperatures are about what you'd expect.

The 3930K chip runs hot, period.

I have a 3930K and two 7970s all overclocked, with a circuit including heatkiller blocks and two radiators (120.2 and 120.3)

My average temp in the loop at equilibrium is 40C. My CPU under loads will see about 55-60C and the GPUs run around 40C.

Remember that once equilibrium is reached in the loop, that's it. You can't go lower than ambient and you are adding heat. 40s is really good for that much hardware.

I see it as being quiet more so than the temperature. My 7970s were really noisy with the stock fans.:D

You should at least have the rear 140mm fan for exhaust, it actually might help a bit.

Your temps are fine. Try that overclock on the CPU on air!!

I have a 2600k @ 4.6 1.32v and prime small ffts will run them up to mid 60 to high 60s after a few hours. My 580 used to hit about 40 load (furmark).

You've gotta realize that a lot of heat dumping into your setup. How loud are your fans? Mine are medium yates running 5v so it's dead silent.

also what order do you have your loop flowing, does it go to to your cpu then to your video card or is it the other way around and starts with the video card then the cpu. If you are cooling the video card then your cpu that would increase your temps on the cpu, because it is sending warm water to your cpu which could be causing your temps to be higher.

also what order do you have your loop flowing, does it go to to your cpu then to your video card or is it the other way around and starts with the video card then the cpu. If you are cooling the video card then your cpu that would increase your temps on the cpu, because it is sending warm water to your cpu which could be causing your temps to be higher.

The direction really doesn't matter much, over time once the system reaches equilibrium, with a constant flow, spot temperatures will only vary a few degrees.:cool:

The direction really doesn't matter much, over time once the system reaches equilibrium, with a constant flow, spot temperatures will only vary a few degrees.:cool:

This is true... people always think that warm water coming off of a component hitting another will cause a "warming effect" of the next component in line which is simply not how it works. The water is STILL very much cooler and well below the thermal transfer rate.

35*c water can pull the same amount of heat from a 60*c component as 30*c water. Also, even if you were to touch the coolant flowing out of the hottest compnent it would seem warm at best, and not HOT.

Back