Formatting a Drive to work with a XBOX 360

HardUp4HardWare

Supreme [H]ardness
So I see there are a few articles on how to do this, however, I am wondering if anyone has found a better quicker easier way of doing this?

Just to clarify.
I just got a 4GB E and want to put a new standard hard drive in it.

The next update is adding external drive support. As long as you have internal storage 4gb or a internal drive you will be able to use up to a 2tb external drive soon. We are testing it now it works good.

The next update is adding external drive support. As long as you have internal storage 4gb or a internal drive you will be able to use up to a 2tb external drive soon. We are testing it now it works good.

Cool, so if I just want to stick a 32GB USB drive it will see it as main storage now right?

Pretty cool!

Cool, so if I just want to stick a 32GB USB drive it will see it as main storage now right?

Pretty cool!

That is already supported has been for years up to 2 32gb drives externally but tonights update up external to 2 tb. flash drives are not the best to use but they do work a actual harddrive mechanical or ssd is the more reliable way to go. I have killed several good usb thumb drives using them for game storage. But they do work

It's super easy I had a 500gb wd drive I did in 15min. Big upgrade from my 20g

That is already supported has been for years up to 2 32gb drives externally but tonights update up external to 2 tb. flash drives are not the best to use but they do work a actual harddrive mechanical or ssd is the more reliable way to go. I have killed several good usb thumb drives using them for game storage. But they do work

Yeah, shows how long it has been since I booted a 360. I got a used 4gb E on Cowboom for around $59 and bought a power supply adapter to use my old BRICK 360 power supply for around $4.99. Not bad!

Thanks for the drive info. I have to say the 360 E model is pretty decent, quite too!

Now I can stock up on delicious cheap 360 games. :)

Pretty cool!

Yeah, shows how long it has been since I booted a 360. I got a used 4gb E on Cowboom for around $59 and bought a power supply adapter to use my old BRICK 360 power supply for around $4.99. Not bad!

Thanks for the drive info. I have to say the 360 E model is pretty decent, quite too!

Now I can stock up on delicious cheap 360 games. :)

Is that adapter safe? Because the 360e uses significantly less power hope it doesn't burn it out.
http://1drv.ms/1dwMwXz

Last edited:
Is that adapter safe? Because the 360e uses significantly less power hope it doesn't burn it out.
http://1drv.ms/1dwMwXz

Eh, I read a crapload of reviews because I was a bit concerned about something like this.
Several report success using this daily for hours at a time. So I suspect I am good.

I am not going to be using this very much so I am not too concerned.

You could just as easily buy a 500GB XBox 360 hard drive on Amazon for around $50 or so.

You could just as easily buy a 500GB XBox 360 hard drive on Amazon for around $50 or so.

Cheap knockoffs buyer beware
i used a wd 250 black and hddhacker on mine.

works great just save the old bin file.

Not necessary anymore

Its just as simple as plugging in a external now.

I've flashed many drives in the past occasionally they get bricked in the process, not worth it anymore.

Cheap knockoffs buyer beware

Not necessary anymore

Its just as simple as plugging in a external now.

I've flashed many drives in the past occasionally they get bricked in the process, not worth it anymore.

From what I remember reading on the day I installed the preview and a 1TB external hard drive, you still need to have an internal drive as well.

From what I remember reading on the day I installed the preview and a 1TB external hard drive, you still need to have an internal drive as well.

Yes either the 4gb internal base system or one with a hard drive is all that's required for external. So if you have one with 4gb internal your set otherwise you bought one that came with a hard drive and your set.

Yes either the 4gb internal base system or one with a hard drive is all that's required for external. So if you have one with 4gb internal your set otherwise you bought one that came with a hard drive and your set.

To get backward compatibility will the externally connected HDD suffice?

I put my ps4 drive in a external case and have it hooked up to my xbox one now. Makes things nicer

I know I'm a little late to the party but I did this with my 4gb Slim.
I removed the 4gb memory too, bought a 320gb scorpio black from Frys and a hard drive case online. Went and did research on how to format the drive (firmware) and now run a 320gb slim x360.
Never had an issues either since i took the 4gb ram out. I got tired of the warning on which memory to use.

Back